* RE: [ECOS] Insight 5.1.1 with Angel /serial debugger
@ 2002-02-28 20:20 Jing Luo
From: Jing Luo @ 2002-02-28 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jesper Skov', Jing Luo
  Cc: 'Charles-Henri Balet', eCos Discuss

Hi,
Thanks Jesper. Now I know porting eCos is not that easy.

I choose the second option you suggested - port Redboot.

I changed the hal-platform-setup.h for hardware initialization.

I want to start Redboot from RAM, but the problem is the memory layout came
out is not the way I wanted as the following.
[mlt_arm_mytarget_ram.ldi]
// eCos memory layout - Thu Feb 28 18:55:04 2002

// This is a generated file - do not edit

#include <cyg/infra/cyg_type.inc>

MEMORY
{
    ram : ORIGIN = 0xc0000000, LENGTH = 0x2000000
}

SECTIONS
{
    SECTIONS_BEGIN
    SECTION_fixed_vectors (ram, 0xc0000000, LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_rom_vectors (ram, 0xc0020000, LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_text (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_fini (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_rodata (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_rodata1 (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_fixup (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_gcc_except_table (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_data (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_bss (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    CYG_LABEL_DEFN(__heap1) = ALIGN (0x8);
    SECTIONS_END
}

After build library and look in the map, __exception_handlers start from
address 0x20000 which is in the ROM.
I am confused about that. How can I make it run from RAM?

Have anyone had experience to run Redboot from RAM?

Another question about the linker file:
what LMA_EQ_VMA mean?

Thanks,

From: Charles-Henri Balet @ 2002-02-28 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jing  Luo, jskov; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi,
same for me, I want to use this redboot debugger, any litlle question, work
this with
insight too, or redboot in an complete and independent debugger ? I find the
insight
user interface nice.

many thanks

balet charles-henri

@ 2002-03-01 11:42 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-03-01 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jing Luo; +Cc: 'Charles-Henri Balet', eCos Discuss

Jing Luo wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks Jesper. Now I know porting eCos is not that easy.

Porting eCos to work with proprietary ROM monitors may not be as easy, no.

> I choose the second option you suggested - port Redboot.
>
> I changed the hal-platform-setup.h for hardware initialization.
>
> I want to start Redboot from RAM, but the problem is the memory layout came
> out is not the way I wanted as the following.
> [mlt_arm_mytarget_ram.ldi]
> // eCos memory layout - Thu Feb 28 18:55:04 2002
>
> // This is a generated file - do not edit
>
> #include <cyg/infra/cyg_type.inc>
>
> MEMORY
> {
>     ram : ORIGIN = 0xc0000000, LENGTH = 0x2000000
> }
>
> SECTIONS
> {
>     SECTIONS_BEGIN
>     SECTION_fixed_vectors (ram, 0xc0000000, LMA_EQ_VMA)
>     SECTION_rom_vectors (ram, 0xc0020000, LMA_EQ_VMA)
>     SECTION_text (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
>     SECTION_fini (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
>     SECTION_rodata (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
>     SECTION_rodata1 (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
>     SECTION_fixup (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
>     SECTION_gcc_except_table (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
>     SECTION_data (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
>     SECTION_bss (ram, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
>     CYG_LABEL_DEFN(__heap1) = ALIGN (0x8);
>     SECTIONS_END
> }
>
> After build library and look in the map, __exception_handlers start from
> address 0x20000 which is in the ROM.
> I am confused about that. How can I make it run from RAM?

Compare with other ports and look at their .ldi files. For example, you'll
see that fixed_vectors should be at 0x20 generally.

> Have anyone had experience to run Redboot from RAM?
>
> Another question about the linker file:
> what LMA_EQ_VMA mean?

Load address is the same as the address the program is expected to run at.
This is correct for RAM startup.

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] Insight 5.1.1 with Angel /serial debugger
@ 2002-02-28  0:27 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2002-02-28  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jing Luo; +Cc: 'Charles-Henri Balet', eCos Discuss

@ 2002-02-26 21:55 Jing Luo