* [ECOS] Flashing eCos to i386 target
@ 2002-05-15 12:07 ALLY MYLES
From: ALLY MYLES @ 2002-05-15 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi
  Some basic doubts

   Redboot is the server process
   GDB is the client process
   We need to rebuild Redboot,inorder to enable
network support for it.

 After this processes  we can  flash the eCos image to
the target mechine[one booted in RedHat]

  is it the correct order?
  anything missing?
  is there any way to avoid this Client -Server
connection? i mean  is there any means to flash the
image  using Redboot alone   ..with out using GDB
client?
   thanks in advance
 ALLY

* Re: [ECOS] Flashing eCos to i386 target
@ 2002-05-28 10:40 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-05-28 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALLY MYLES; +Cc: ecos-discuss

ALLY MYLES wrote:

> Hi
>   Some basic doubts
>
>    Redboot is the server process
>    GDB is the client process
>    We need to rebuild Redboot,inorder to enable
> network support for it.
>
>  After this processes  we can  flash the eCos image to
> the target mechine[one booted in RedHat]

If this is a PC, you can't program the Flash with it.

>   is it the correct order?
>   anything missing?
>   is there any way to avoid this Client -Server
> connection? i mean  is there any means to flash the
> image  using Redboot alone   ..with out using GDB
> client?

If you mean how to download an image not using GDB, yes, in the RedBoot
documentation you can find out how to retrieve images from the RedBoot
command line using TFTP (via ethernet), xmodem or ymodem.

If you mean just have your application boot directly, then the only way to
do that right now is to build your eCos application for "FLOPPY" startup
mode, and copy it onto a floppy the same way you did RedBoot.

Jifl