* [ECOS] [Fwd: Re: [ECOS] Eathernet support]
@ 2003-12-08  5:30 Giri
From: Giri @ 2003-12-08  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hai any boday tried using the Eathrnet controller DP83815 on ECOS. please
let me know i want to confirm "DP83815 can be used without any problems"
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Eathernet support
From:    "Nick Garnett" <nickg@ecoscentric.com>
Date:    Fri, December 5, 2003 17:23
To:      giri@jntu.net
Cc:      ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com

"Giri" <giri@jntu.net> writes:

> Hai,
>   is Ecos will support following Eathernet controller
>
> National DP83815 10/100 Ethernet Controller

The DP83816 that we do support is just a newer version of the
DP83815. The two parts even share the same PCI device ID so the
existing driver should just work. Let us know if it doesn't.

* Re: [ECOS] [Fwd: Re: [ECOS] Eathernet support]
@ 2003-12-08 10:02 ` Mike at VirginNet
From: Mike at VirginNet @ 2003-12-08 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am also in need of 83815 support.  I don't see any eCos 83815 *or* 83816
driver on the 2.0 CDROM - how do I get it?

Cheers,

Mike

> Hai any boday tried using the Eathrnet controller DP83815 on ECOS. please
> let me know i want to confirm "DP83815 can be used without any problems"
> Subject: Re: [ECOS] Eathernet support
> From:    "Nick Garnett" <nickg@ecoscentric.com>
> Date:    Fri, December 5, 2003 17:23
> To:      giri@jntu.net
> Cc:      ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
>
> "Giri" <giri@jntu.net> writes:
>
> > Hai,
> >   is Ecos will support following Eathernet controller
> >
> > National DP83815 10/100 Ethernet Controller
>
> The DP83816 that we do support is just a newer version of the
> DP83815. The two parts even share the same PCI device ID so the
> existing driver should just work. Let us know if it doesn't.
>
> --
> Nick Garnett                    eCos Kernel Architect
> http://www.ecoscentric.com      The eCos and RedBoot experts
>

> --

---

* Re: [ECOS] [Fwd: Re: [ECOS] Eathernet support]
@ 2003-12-08 10:32   ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-08 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike at VirginNet; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Mike at VirginNet" <mister.chips@virgin.net> writes:

> I am also in need of 83815 support.  I don't see any eCos 83815 *or* 83816
> driver on the 2.0 CDROM - how do I get it?

It is in the CVS repository.

> From: "Giri" <giri@jntu.net>
> > Hai any boday tried using the Eathrnet controller DP83815 on ECOS. please
> > let me know i want to confirm "DP83815 can be used without any problems"

That is unlikely, since the DP83816 driver is relatively new. But you
could try it an report back here on whether it is successful. Consider
it your contribution to the project.

* [ECOS] building RedBoot for a PC with an NIC other than 82559 or 82544
@ 2003-12-08 13:24     ` Mike at VirginNet
From: Mike at VirginNet @ 2003-12-08 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I have been trying to introduce the eCos 21443 ethernet driver into the PC
build of RedBoot.  I tried working on the config of the RedBoot package in
configtool, but there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for importing an
existing device driver into a platform.

I can imagine that there may well be some tailoring of the source code
necessary, given that the 21143 driver was presumably not developed for a pc
target.  But there doesn't seem to be a defined process for it.

Also I have picked up the NE2000 driver which was posted some time back, and
I've 'added' it to the i386 driver set, but there is no instruction on how
to add it to the pc platform. Presumably the same instructions will apply
here.

Cheers,

Mike

---

* Re: [ECOS] building RedBoot for a PC with an NIC other than 82559 or 82544
@ 2003-12-08 13:50       ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-08 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike at VirginNet; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Mike at VirginNet" <mister.chips@virgin.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to introduce the eCos 21443 ethernet driver into the PC
> build of RedBoot.  I tried working on the config of the RedBoot package in
> configtool, but there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for importing an
> existing device driver into a platform.
>
> I can imagine that there may well be some tailoring of the source code
> necessary, given that the 21143 driver was presumably not developed for a pc
> target.  But there doesn't seem to be a defined process for it.
>
> Also I have picked up the NE2000 driver which was posted some time back, and
> I've 'added' it to the i386 driver set, but there is no instruction on how
> to add it to the pc platform. Presumably the same instructions will apply
> here.

The ususal mechanism for doing this is to add a new target in
ecos.db. Take a look at how the i82544 PC driver is handled for an
example.

* Re: [ECOS] building RedBoot for a PC with an NIC other than 82559 or 82544
@ 2003-12-08 15:58         ` Mike at VirginNet
From: Mike at VirginNet @ 2003-12-08 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi, thanks for the hint.

I've now edited ecos.db and replicated the package
CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I82544 as CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I21143 with
appropriate changes in the text.  I'm sure there is more to it than that,
but I don't have a clue what!

When I run configtool on /tmp/redboot_FLOPPY/ecos.ecc and select the
menuitem build>packages,  I see the 82559 driver.  When I try to remove it,
I get a dialogue that says 'Add and remove hardware packages by selecting a
new hardware template'.  When I select the menuitem 'build>templates' I get
a description of the makeup of the build, but no mechanism to change it or
create a new template. Please explain.

Cheers,

Mike

@ 2003-12-08 16:06           ` Eric Doenges
From: Eric Doenges @ 2003-12-08 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike at VirginNet; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Mike at VirginNet wrote:

> I've now edited ecos.db and replicated the package
> CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I82544 as CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I21143 with
> appropriate changes in the text.  I'm sure there is more to it than that,
> but I don't have a clue what!
>
> When I run configtool on /tmp/redboot_FLOPPY/ecos.ecc and select the
> menuitem build>packages,  I see the 82559 driver.  When I try to remove it,
> I get a dialogue that says 'Add and remove hardware packages by selecting a
> new hardware template'.  When I select the menuitem 'build>templates' I get
> a description of the makeup of the build, but no mechanism to change it or
> create a new template. Please explain.

You need to create a new hardware template that includes the packages
you want. The easiest way to do this is to take the existing template
(with the 82559 driver), create a copy, rename it, remove the 82559
package and add your CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I21143 package.

P.S.: if the driver was not originally written for the PC, you may run
into caching issues (i.e. the driver needs to access uncached memory,
but the PC target doesn't define any uncached address space or have
cache manipulation instructions).
|     Eric Doenges              |     DynaPel Laboratories GmbH    |
|     Tel: +49 89 962428 23     |     Fraunhoferstrasse 9/2        |
|     Fax: +49 89 962428 90     |     D - 85737 Ismaning, Germany  |

* Re: [ECOS] building RedBoot for a PC with an NIC other than 82559 or 82544
@ 2003-12-08 16:10           ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-08 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike at VirginNet; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Mike at VirginNet" <mister.chips@virgin.net> writes:

> Hi, thanks for the hint.
>
> I've now edited ecos.db and replicated the package
> CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I82544 as CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I21143 with
> appropriate changes in the text.  I'm sure there is more to it than that,
> but I don't have a clue what!

It would probably be better to duplicate the
CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_MIPS_VRC4375 package as
CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I21143, since it already contains all the
config info you need. Then just change the file and CDL option names
as appropriate.

> When I run configtool on /tmp/redboot_FLOPPY/ecos.ecc and select the
> menuitem build>packages,  I see the 82559 driver.  When I try to remove it,
> I get a dialogue that says 'Add and remove hardware packages by selecting a
> new hardware template'.  When I select the menuitem 'build>templates' I get
> a description of the makeup of the build, but no mechanism to change it or
> create a new template. Please explain.

You need to add a new target, say pc_i21143, and substitute the
necessary packages. Take a look at what has been done for the pc_giga
and pc_rltk8139 targets.

* Re: [ECOS] building RedBoot for a PC with an NIC other than 82559 or 82544
@ 2003-12-09 17:52             ` Mike at VirginNet
From: Mike at VirginNet @ 2003-12-09 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

> > I've now edited ecos.db and replicated the package
> > CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I82544 as CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I21143 with
> > appropriate changes in the text.  I'm sure there is more to it than
that,
> > but I don't have a clue what!
>
> It would probably be better to duplicate the
> CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_MIPS_VRC4375 package as
> CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I21143, since it already contains all the
> config info you need. Then just change the file and CDL option names
> as appropriate.

'As appropriate' how? In the text of ecos.db?  In the existing files
associated with the VRC4375, in which case should I replicate these up at
some point in the tree as for 21143 on pc?

If there is something in the documentation that covers the procedure for
adding hardware support - and thus describes what I need to do - then please
point me at it.

> > When I run configtool on /tmp/redboot_FLOPPY/ecos.ecc and select the
> > menuitem build>packages,  I see the 82559 driver.  When I try to remove
it,
> > I get a dialogue that says 'Add and remove hardware packages by
selecting a
> > new hardware template'.  When I select the menuitem 'build>templates' I
get
> > a description of the makeup of the build, but no mechanism to change it
or
> > create a new template. Please explain.
>
> You need to add a new target, say pc_i21143, and substitute the
> necessary packages. Take a look at what has been done for the pc_giga
> and pc_rltk8139 targets.

I've replicated pc_giga as pc_tulip with the 21143 driver specified.  Now in
configtool I can do tools>templates and select that template, then generate
the build tree. However, I get a 'Hardware selection warning' that
CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I21143 is not present in the component repository.
How does one put it there?

I guess I'm in need of a step-by-step description of how to add hardware
configs, something like :-

    (1) edit ecos.db like so...
    (2) replicate/edit some files like so...
    (3) run such a tool with such a commandline and take these actions...

Cheers,

Mike

---

* Re: [ECOS] building RedBoot for a PC with an NIC other than 82559 or 82544
@ 2003-12-10  7:25               ` Eric Doenges
From: Eric Doenges @ 2003-12-10  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike at VirginNet; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Mike at VirginNet wrote:

[ ... ]

> If there is something in the documentation that covers the procedure for
> adding hardware support - and thus describes what I need to do - then please
> point me at it.

I don't think there is any 'official' documentation for this. Here is an
excerpt from the RealTek 8139 driver (see
<...>/packages/devs/eth/rltk/8139/current/doc/README for the full text):

<--- SNIP --->

This driver follows the customization model used by many other drivers
to separate those parts of the code that are device specific from those
that are platform specific by requiring two packages to actually use the
driver -- the driver itself and a platform glue package that contains
only a .cdl and an .inl file (see the devs/i386/pc/rltk8139 package for
an example).

Both the driver and the glue packages must be added to the package
database before you can use them. My entries look like this:

package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_RLTK_8139 {
   alias     { "RealTek 8139 ethernet driver"
               devs_eth_rltk_8139 8139_eth_driver }
   hardware
   directory devs/eth/rltk/8139
   script    rltk_8139_eth_drivers.cdl
         description     "Ethernet driver for RealTek 8139 NIC."
}

and

package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_RLTK8139 {
   alias     { "Standard PC with RealTek 8139 ethernet device"
               devs_eth_i386_pc_rltk8139 }
   hardware
   directory devs/eth/i386/pc/rltk8139
   script    i386_pc_rltk8139_eth_drivers.cdl
   description "Ethernet driver for the RealTek 8139 family of chips."
}

Finally, you will need to create a new target that includes the RealTek
driver. The easiest way to this is copy an existing target and add the
two packages defined above (and removing the Intel 82259 packages in case
of an i386 pc target).

Basically, you should take a look at how other drivers are integrated
with specific targets - I recommend looking at the Intel 82559 and
the 16550 UART drivers for examples (or the RealTek driver mentioned
above).