* [ECOS] eCos on Compaq iPAQ
@ 2000-12-08  3:42 Richard Panton
From: Richard Panton @ 2000-12-08  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion List

If anyone is interested, I have a HAL and PCMCIA package available for
the Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC. It might seem a strange choice of target, but
it is cheaper than most development boards!

From http://www.3glab.org/developer/ecos

* Re: [ECOS] eCos on Compaq iPAQ
@ 2000-12-08  3:57 ` Julian Smart
From: Julian Smart @ 2000-12-08  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion List

At 11:43 AM 12/8/00 +0000, Richard Panton wrote:
>If anyone is interested, I have a HAL and PCMCIA package available for
>the Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC. It might seem a strange choice of target, but
>it is cheaper than most development boards!
>
> >From http://www.3glab.org/developer/ecos

Interesting; you haven't got MicroWindows running on it yet, have you? ;-)

There's some interest here in marrying a GUI capability with eCos, and
MicroWindows is one possibility. I see that MicroWindows is already running
on embedded Linux on the iPAQ...

Regards,

Julian

--
Red Hat, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK. CB2 1NS Tel: +44 (1223) 728763

* RE: [ECOS] eCos on COMPAQ ipaq
@ 2001-05-29 20:46       ` Cristiano Ligieri Pereira
From: Cristiano Ligieri Pereira @ 2001-05-29 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

I could install redboot but got an error when downloading the files into
the RAM memory.

I've got the following messages:

RAM: 0x00000000-0x02000000, 0x0004d000-0x01fb0000 available

RedBoot> lo -m xmodem -r -b 0x200000
Raw file loaded 0x00200000-0x00232d80
xyzModem - CRC mode, 1628(SOH)/0(STX)/0(CAN) packets, 6 retries
RedBoot> lo -m xmodem -r -b 0x20000
Specified address (0x00020000) is not in RAM.

The first command downloaded ecosromfs and the second was an attempt to
download the file nanoxdemo but as you can see there was an error message
since I've tried to download the file at a unavailable RAM addresse
(although the address I've used is the one stated int the redboot manual).

I guess I have to recompile the application in order to load it in the new
address, right?

My second concern is the following. I want to install RedBoot in the flash
memory permanently in order to develop some applications. Given that it
looks like the RAM configuration assumed in the nanoxdemo doesn't match
with the configuration I have in my ipaq, regarding the ROM version, is it
safe if I just download the redboot_ROM.bin and install it according to
the commands stated in the redboot manual or should I recompile the
redboot with specific addresses. My flash configuration is the given
below:

FLASH: 0x50000000 - 0x51000000, 64 blocks of 0x00040000 bytes each

Thanks for your time,
Cristiano.

Cristiano Ligieri Pereira - http://www.ics.uci.edu/~cpereira

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Gary Thomas wrote:

> Are you sure that the file 'bootldr' is in the root directory - with no
> extension?  The first time I did this, I ended up with something called
> '/bootldr.bin' (or some such) and Windows, in its infinite wisdom, dropped
> the extension.  It took me a while to figure this out.
>
> If you still can't get it to go, try asking on the Handhelds mailing list
> since the OSloader program came from there:  <ipaq@handhelds.org>

* RE: [ECOS] eCos on COMPAQ ipaq
@ 2001-05-29 15:43     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-05-29 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristiano Ligieri Pereira; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 29-May-2001 Cristiano Ligieri Pereira wrote:

> I'm sure I have both files in the appropriate directory but I keep getting
> the same error message. Which other alternatives I have to install ecos on
> my iPaq?
>
> Thanks,
> Cristiano.

> Cristiano Ligieri Pereira - http://www.ics.uci.edu/~cpereira
>
> On Wed, 23 May 2001, Gary Thomas wrote:
>

>> On 23-May-2001 Cristiano Ligieri Pereira wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to make eCos run on a COMPAQ ipaq H3650 pocket pc but I'm stuck
>> > in the first steps.
>> >
>> > I've copied the OSloader and boot_WinCE.bin (as bootldr) into the 'My
>> > Pocket PC' folder but when I run the OSloader and access the menu
>> > 'Tools->BootLdr->Run after loading from file menu item' I get the message:
>> >
>> > 'Error opening \bootldr
>> >  GetLastError = 2'
>>
>> Using the "File Explorer", you should have to go "up" one level to get to
>> this directory on the iPAQ.  At that time, you should see both the OSloader
>> and bootldr files.  Is this the case?

* RE: [ECOS] eCos on COMPAQ ipaq
@ 2001-05-29 15:32   ` Cristiano Ligieri Pereira
From: Cristiano Ligieri Pereira @ 2001-05-29 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2001-05-24  7:31     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-05-24  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristiano Ligieri Pereira; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 23-May-2001 Cristiano Ligieri Pereira wrote:

> Can I do it through an ethernet interface then?. I have a PCMCIA
> attachment that allows me connect the ipaq to a ethernet interface.

You could (can), but it would be pretty rough.  A better solution,
at least for the installation, would be to get a serial cable.  Once
RedBoot is installed, running in a USB cradle would be less of an
issue.

Note: we'd like to offer USB as an option, but time and resources
have kept this from happening so far.

* RE: [ECOS] eCos on COMPAQ ipaq
@ 2001-05-23 10:47   ` Cristiano Ligieri Pereira
From: Cristiano Ligieri Pereira @ 2001-05-23 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Can I do it through an ethernet interface then?. I have a PCMCIA
attachment that allows me connect the ipaq to a ethernet interface.

Cristiano.

Cristiano Ligieri Pereira - http://www.ics.uci.edu/~cpereira

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Gary Thomas wrote:

> Note: without a serial cable (or cradle), you're not going to get much
> farther along at this time.  AFAIK neither RedBoot nor the Compaq bootloader
> works with USB.

* RE: [ECOS] eCos on COMPAQ ipaq
@ 2001-05-23  5:58 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-05-23  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristiano Ligieri Pereira; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 23-May-2001 Cristiano Ligieri Pereira wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to make eCos run on a COMPAQ ipaq H3650 pocket pc but I'm stuck
> in the first steps.
>
> I've copied the OSloader and boot_WinCE.bin (as bootldr) into the 'My
> Pocket PC' folder but when I run the OSloader and access the menu
> 'Tools->BootLdr->Run after loading from file menu item' I get the message:
>
> 'Error opening \bootldr
>  GetLastError = 2'

Using the "File Explorer", you should have to go "up" one level to get to
this directory on the iPAQ.  At that time, you should see both the OSloader
and bootldr files.  Is this the case?

> I'm pretty sure that I'm copying the files to the right location and I'm
> wondering if the problem can be the USB cradle, which is the only one I
> have. Does anyone had a similar problem or can give some hint of what
> could be the problem?

Note: without a serial cable (or cradle), you're not going to get much
farther along at this time.  AFAIK neither RedBoot nor the Compaq bootloader
works with USB.

* [ECOS] eCos on COMPAQ ipaq
@ 2001-05-22 22:46 Cristiano Ligieri Pereira