* [ECOS] DOS filing system
@ 2001-02-20 14:37 David Williams
From: David Williams @ 2001-02-20 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

I am new to eCos,

I am considering using it on a Power PC (MPC850) with a PCMCIA and compact
flash ATA cards. I would like to write to the cards in DOS format and was
hopping there is support for a DOS filing system. I see from the news that
there is support for PCMCIA and there is also a filing system. What I want
to do is write to ATA flash cards (PCMCIA and compact flash) from eCos in
DOS format.

Is this supported already? If not what parts do I need to write myself?

TIA
Dave.

* Re: [ECOS] DOS filing system
@ 2001-02-20 14:49 ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
       [not found]   ` <002701c09baa$f48ed1c0$0b02a8c0@r2d2>
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-20 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Williams, ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com

Hi David,

>hopping there is support for a DOS filing system. I see from the news that
>there is support for PCMCIA and there is also a filing system. What I want
>to do is write to ATA flash cards (PCMCIA and compact flash) from eCos in
>DOS format.

Unfortunately while several people including myself have developed DOS
filesystems that run under eCos, licensing problems preclude us from
releasing the source to the eCos community at this time.

So you'll need to do most of the work to get a DOS filesystem running. eCos
handles the mechanics of routing application calls into your filesystem,
but you need to do all the disk-banging yourself. (The good news is that
FAT12/16/32 are all pretty easy to support, especially if you don't support
the special cases for FAT32. Figure about 2-3 weeks of development time).

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."

* Re: [ECOS] DOS filing system
       [not found]   ` <002701c09baa$f48ed1c0$0b02a8c0@r2d2>
@ 2001-02-20 18:11     ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-20 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wilson Kwan, David Williams, ecos-discuss

Hello Wilson,

> > but you need to do all the disk-banging yourself. (The good news is that
> > FAT12/16/32 are all pretty easy to support, especially if you don't
>
>Do you have any good resources as a starting point for FAT16 and FAT32?

I will be happy to give you (or any other list members) my collated
"research materials" on FAT12 and FAT16; it's all you really need to
implement the FSs. I'm not sure that I can give you my document on FAT32,
as it is labeled "Microsoft Company Confidential"; I'll check on it (the
document may have been released publicly since I received it a couple of
years ago!). However I am leaving Thursday morning for a conference and I'm
rather busy until then. Do you mind waiting until the weekend (Monday at
latest)?

David, would you like to be copied on that?

@ 2001-02-20 18:39       ` Wilson Kwan
From: Wilson Kwan @ 2001-02-20 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Williams, ecos-discuss, Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Hi Lewin,

> Hello Wilson,
>
> I will be happy to give you (or any other list members) my collated
> "research materials" on FAT12 and FAT16; it's all you really need to
> implement the FSs. I'm not sure that I can give you my document on FAT32,
> as it is labeled "Microsoft Company Confidential"; I'll check on it (the
> document may have been released publicly since I received it a couple of
> years ago!). However I am leaving Thursday morning for a conference and
I'm
> rather busy until then. Do you mind waiting until the weekend (Monday at
> latest)?
>
> David, would you like to be copied on that?

That would be great. Since I'm the lead architect/developer on our eCos
implementation I'll see what I can do about contributing my FAT16 work back
to the eCos community. I'm sure a few people might like that. :) I won't be
starting on any file system work for a couple of weeks so after your
conference would be great.

Thanks again,

Wilson

* Re: [ECOS] DOS filing system
@ 2001-02-20 19:57         ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-20 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wilson Kwan, David Williams, ecos-discuss

Hi Wilson (et al .. :)

> > I will be happy to give you (or any other list members) my collated
> > "research materials" on FAT12 and FAT16; it's all you really need to
> > implement the FSs. I'm not sure that I can give you my document on FAT32,
>
>That would be great. Since I'm the lead architect/developer on our eCos
>implementation I'll see what I can do about contributing my FAT16 work back
>to the eCos community. I'm sure a few people might like that. :) I won't be

It would be really great if you could do that. In fact I would love to roll
our code into the public domain, but honestly I don't feel up to fighting
the necessary legal tussle to convince our people.

I did briefly consider redeveloping a FAT filesystem at home using drive
image files and stdio to simulate the underlying block driver, but I
decided that it is in too much of a gray area ethically. (Besides, who the
heck has time to work out of hours? I haven't been able to do a personal
project for years...)

I'll be happy to contribute any help short of actually writing your code,
too. My FS code is about a year and a half old now, and pretty thoroughly
debugged.

@ 2001-02-22 10:24       ` Matthew H. Gerlach
From: Matthew H. Gerlach @ 2001-02-22 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I believe the FreeDOS project might be a good place for information on the DOS
file system.  Obviously there is dos file system code, and I notice there is a
recent fdisk program.

http://www.freedos.org