* RE: [ECOS] ROMRAM stand-alone application
@ 2004-04-08  9:09 Alan Bowman
From: Alan Bowman @ 2004-04-08  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Lunn', Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

I don't think it's ever worked for me (before the changes that I'm hopefully about to post).  I'm trying to access the CVS server, and I can't seem to get a response.  Is it working at the moment?

* RE: [ECOS] ROMRAM stand-alone application
@ 2004-04-08 11:48 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-04-08 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Bowman; +Cc: 'Andrew Lunn', Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss

Alan Bowman said:

> [...]

It may not be - there were reports of hardware problems on that machine
earlier today and at the moment it may be offline.

* Re: [ECOS] ROMRAM stand-alone application
@ 2004-04-08 12:07     ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2004-04-08 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Alan Bowman, Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> writes:

> > > I don't think it's ever worked for me (before the changes that I'm
> > > hopefully about to post).  I'm trying to access the CVS server, and
> > > I can't seem to get a response.  Is it working at the moment?
> >
> > The ROMRAM RedBoot fell by the wayside. With so little RAM available
> > on these boards it was felt that it was a waste of resource. Hence the
> > ROMRAM .ldi files have suffered a little bitrot.
>
> We have two options. Fix the bitrot so that ROMRAM RedBoot works
> again, or change the ROMRAM so that it works for standalone
> applications.
>
> Nick says that ROMRAM redboot makes little sense, so i would suggest
> the second option. Is everybody happy with that?

I would vote for making it work for standalone apps only. To make
ROMRAM Redboot work would mean moving the load point for RAM apps up
in memory for both RAM and ROMRAM RedBoots. This would waste RAM in
the ROM RedBoot case, and would give RAM apps less room in both cases.

Of course if we were clever, we could put in some CDL to make it
impossible to configure ROMRAM RedBoots.

* Re: [ECOS] ROMRAM stand-alone application
@ 2004-04-08 12:07 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2004-04-08 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Bowman; +Cc: 'Andrew Lunn', Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss

Alan Bowman <ABowman@synaptics-uk.com> writes:

> [...]

The sources.redhat.com server is currently experiencing some disk
problems and CVS access has been turned off. We will probably have to
wait until a RedHat person can take a look at it in the morning, US
time.

* Re: [ECOS] ROMRAM stand-alone application
@ 2004-04-08 12:25   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-04-08 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett
  Cc: Alan Bowman, 'Andrew Lunn', Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss

@ 2004-04-08 12:31     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-04-08 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn
  Cc: Nick Garnett, Alan Bowman, 'Andrew Lunn',
	Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn said:
>> > I don't think it's ever worked for me (before the changes that I'm
>> > hopefully about to post).  I'm trying to access the CVS server, and
>> > I can't seem to get a response.  Is it working at the moment?
>>
>> The ROMRAM RedBoot fell by the wayside. With so little RAM available
>> on these boards it was felt that it was a waste of resource. Hence the
>> ROMRAM .ldi files have suffered a little bitrot.
>
> We have two options. Fix the bitrot so that ROMRAM RedBoot works
> again, or change the ROMRAM so that it works for standalone
> applications.
>
> Nick says that ROMRAM redboot makes little sense, so i would suggest
> the second option. Is everybody happy with that?

Sure - it at least sounds like it's not a step backwards.

* [ECOS] Re: ROMRAM stand-alone application
@ 2004-04-08 23:40       ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2004-04-08 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Alan Bowman

Nick Garnett wrote:

> I would vote for making it work for standalone apps only. To make
> ROMRAM Redboot work would mean moving the load point for RAM apps up
> in memory for both RAM and ROMRAM RedBoots. This would waste RAM in
> the ROM RedBoot case, and would give RAM apps less room in both cases.

That seems sensible.

> Of course if we were clever, we could put in some CDL to make it
> impossible to configure ROMRAM RedBoots.

Simply removing the redboot_ROMRAM.ecm files in each of the AT91EBxx
platform HALs should clarify this.

John Dallaway
eCosCentric Limited