From: Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com>
To: eCos discussion <ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org>
Cc: Winkler Andreas <andreas.aw.winkler@siemens.com>
Subject: [ECOS] [Fwd: How to enable redboots CRC checking]
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 10:13:00 -0000	[thread overview]

This was misaddressed...

[-- Attachment #2: How to enable redboots CRC checking --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3385 bytes --]

From: Winkler Andreas <andreas.aw.winkler@siemens.com>
To: "'ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org'" <ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org>
Subject: How to enable redboots CRC checking
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:28:40 +0200

Hi,

some weeks ago I asked about the CRC checking of redboot. From Thomas Gary i
got the following answer:

"When images are written to the FIS, a CRC will be calculated and saved with
the image. When you read the image into RAM ("fis load"), the CRC is
verified and if it fails, then the entry point address is suppressed. This
is normally used to prevent the "go" command from executing."

Now I made a test. for the CRC checking.
With Redboot I wrote a Linux kernel to flash (fis create). I could load that
kernel to RAM and start it.
With Linux I wrote something into that flash image.
Then I booted Redboot. Again I loaded the kernel image to RAM and could
start it without any fault message.
Of course the kernel was not runnable and crashed.

I had expected a fault message when trying to run the corrumpted kernel
image.
What could be the reason that it doesn't work?

Regards
Andreas