* [ECOS] Re: fatfs and io disk misc patches
@ 2004-07-09 11:39 Savin Zlobec
From: Savin Zlobec @ 2004-07-09 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander.Neundorf, andrew; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> <>> > Since people are starting to use it and doing ports, it would be
> > > wise to specify how all of the disk subsystem should look and what
> > > features should be supported before it gets harder and harder to
> > > change anything generic.
> > >
> > > Now it is the time for users to post their comments,
> > feelings, wishes...
> >
> > Not many comments :-(
>
> Ok, wishes come here :-) :
> Faster cf access by checking for adjacent sectors, support for
> exchanging the cf card while<> ecos is running (or does it actually
> work and I was too stupid ?), long file names, fat32.

In my spare moments I did (doing) some refactoring on fatfs. File access
is faster, reduced memory usage,
saner code, kernel dependencies are gone, some traces of malloc left,
but shouldn't last long (maybe I'll make
an CDL option for that). After that I may go for the generic ATA low
level driver...

Hot exchanging the CF actually works - the disk_(dis)connected callbacks
are intended for that, they trigger
(in)validation of device handlers and MBR scanning. They are indended to
be called from the low level driver
which should detect the CF insertion/removal - or a pair of keys could
be defined for cyg_io_set_config which
would do this in disk_set_config. One may face the problem of unmounting
the fatfs after the CF was removed...
for this we would need an additional flag field in umount fn to specify
an forced unmount, or it could be specified
with fs_get/set_config.

About the adjacent sectors, long file names and fat32 - I wouldn't mind
having that - any volunteers ?

savin

* [ECOS] Re: fatfs and io disk misc patches
@ 2004-07-08 10:30                 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-07-08 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Savin Zlobec; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Since people are starting to use it and doing ports, it would be
> wise to specify how all of the disk subsystem should look and what
> features should be supported before it gets harder and harder to
> change anything generic.
>
> Now it is the time for users to post their comments, feelings, wishes...

Not many comments :-(

I suggest you approch this the other way. You make some suggestions
and see if anybody disagrees.

        Andrew

* [ECOS] Re: fatfs and io disk misc patches
       [not found]             ` <20040702091532.GH11101@lunn.ch>
@ 2004-07-02 12:44               ` Savin Zlobec
From: Savin Zlobec @ 2004-07-02 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-patches, ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn wrote:

>>>The same needs applying to packages/dev/disk/v85x. Could you provide a
>>>patch please?
>>>

>>Here it is.
>>

>Thanks. Committed.
>
>How easy would it be to split this driver up into a generic CF disk
>driver and a hardware specific part for your target board?

I don't see any problem. It could be split into three parts :

- ATA driver
- contiguous I/O mapped / memory mapped / True IDE mode  addressing
- hardware specific part (mostly just initialisation and access)