* [ECOS] reboot and ecos basic questions
@ 2004-09-27 14:34 Robert V
From: Robert V @ 2004-09-27 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

I am new to ecos and have just installed the ecos-2.0
distribution on my fedora core system. One question I have is about the
redboot monitor. If you are using  gdb and your target supports hardware
debug through a something like a bdm port on a Freescale Coldfire-based
device, why would you need Reboot?

Also, I am looking for some direction on how to manage updating my ecos
installation with the latest updates in revision control ( i.e. CVS ).
Can someone point me to docs on how to do this?
For example, is there are 'working' release of ecos that eventually will
be eco-2.1, rendering ecos-2.0 frozen?

Thanks,
Bob

* [ECOS] Re: reboot and ecos basic questions
@ 2004-09-27 15:25 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2004-09-27 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert V; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 07:25:35AM -0500, Robert V wrote:

> I am new to ecos and have just installed the ecos-2.0
> distribution on my fedora core system. One question I have is
> about the redboot monitor. If you are using gdb and your
> target supports hardware debug through a something like a bdm
> port on a Freescale Coldfire-based device, why would you need
> Reboot?

You might not 'need' redboot.  If you've got some other way to
load programs into RAM and/or flash ROM and do debugging, then
you could get by without it.  Redboot is an awfully handy way
to be able to do things like update flash through a serial
port.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com