* [ECOS] synthetic target serial support
@ 2005-03-23 13:29 Nelly Pison
From: Nelly Pison @ 2005-03-23 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

I need to use a serial port on the linux synthetic target running on a
PC that is able to send messages and to receive messages (finished by
the character 0x0D)
Can someone give me advices for :
- where I can found  the good software
- how to configure and use it in the lst
- how is the interface between it and my software

Thanks

* Re: [ECOS] synthetic target serial support
@ 2005-03-23 13:40 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-03-23 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelly Pison; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:06:20AM +0100, Nelly Pison wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to use a serial port on the linux synthetic target running on a
> PC that is able to send messages and to receive messages (finished by
> the character 0x0D)
> Can someone give me advices for :
> - where I can found  the good software
> - how to configure and use it in the lst
> - how is the interface between it and my software

http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-devel/2003-08/msg00000.html

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] synthetic target serial support
@ 2005-04-01  9:56   ` Nelly Pison
From: Nelly Pison @ 2005-04-01  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

OK, I have installed it on my linux with the ecos repository, make what
is indicated in the readme (except for the pseudo ttys that I don't need) .
Then with configTool I create an ecc with the  template "Linux synthetic
target"
and I try to add the package "Synthetic target serial driver" but
configTool refuse with the error message :
 " Add and Remove hardware packages by selecting a new hardware template"
What is the problem?
Note : I saw that in the synthserial.cdl file the parent is
CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES and I don't find it in the ecos.db file

Thanks for any help

@ 2005-04-01 10:12     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-04-01 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelly Pison; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, ecos-discuss

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:56:29AM +0200, Nelly Pison wrote:
> OK, I have installed it on my linux with the ecos repository, make what
> is indicated in the readme (except for the pseudo ttys that I don't need) .
> Then with configTool I create an ecc with the  template "Linux synthetic
> target"
> and I try to add the package "Synthetic target serial driver" but
> configTool refuse with the error message :
> " Add and Remove hardware packages by selecting a new hardware template"
> What is the problem?

The config tool has a "feature" that it wont add/remove hardware
packages. ecosconfig, the CLI tool is more flexiable and will do
this. The other option is to edit the

target linux {
        alias           { "Linux synthetic target" i386linux }
        packages        { CYGPKG_HAL_SYNTH

and just add the serial device driver package.

> Note : I saw that in the synthserial.cdl file the parent is
> CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES and I don't find it in the ecos.db file

This is not a package, its a component. Its defined in the
CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL package. Most templates include this package, so all
you need to do is enable the option CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] synthetic target serial support
@ 2005-04-01 13:31     ` Nelly Pison
From: Nelly Pison @ 2005-04-01 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelly Pison; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, ecos-discuss

You are very rapid to answer: Thanks

I have build the library now. But when I start a simple program using
the lst (make only printf) with option --io  (as I see for the synthetic
erthernet driver) I have the following  error: "unable to find the I/O
auxiliary program on the current search PATH. Please install the
appropriate host-side tools"

In fact I don't know use the synth. serial driver :
- have you a source example
- is there any documentation about it
- is there host tools necessary for that (like rawether for ethernet)
and where if yes

Thanks a lot for your help

@ 2005-04-01 13:45       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-04-01 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelly Pison; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, ecos-discuss

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 03:31:17PM +0200, Nelly Pison wrote:
> You are very rapid to answer: Thanks
>
> I have build the library now. But when I start a simple program using
> the lst (make only printf) with option --io  (as I see for the synthetic
> erthernet driver) I have the following  error: "unable to find the I/O
> auxiliary program on the current search PATH. Please install the
> appropriate host-side tools"
>
> In fact I don't know use the synth. serial driver :
> - have you a source example
> - is there any documentation about it
> - is there host tools necessary for that (like rawether for ethernet)
> and where if yes
>
> Thanks a lot for your help

The following explains a lot:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/hal-synth-arch.html

It will be looking for the executable ecosynth. If you have done an
install from the prebuild binaries this normally lives in

/opt/ecos/libexec/ecos/hal/synth/arch/v2_0/ecosynth

It finds this be using the PATH variable, which in this case needs to
include /opt/ecos/bin. It knows how to get from the bin directory to
the correct subdirectory under libexec.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] synthetic target serial support
@ 2005-04-05  8:39         ` Nelly Pison
From: Nelly Pison @ 2005-04-05  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Thanks

I have now a host side installed and I have made a simple test program
hello that  open and print characters on the port /dev/ser0 witch is
mapped on /dev/ttyS0.

When I start the program: hello --io
it seems to works well but I don't receive any characters from the com
port corresponding to /dev/ttyS0 and connected to another PC with an
hyterminal.
I verify that the physical link is OK by writing  a simple program on
linux: it works, I see the characters on the hyperterminal.
With hello --io the following message is written on the console :
"Connecting serial device /dev/ser0 to /dev/ttyS0"
This message is printed by the serial host side serial.tcl. I add other
puts in the tcl for all request the shell can execute.
So on the console I see request for:
SYNTH_SERIAL_GETPARAMS
SYNTH_SERIAL_CONFIG

but no request to send characters

Have you ideas for the problem?

@ 2005-04-06  8:33 Nelly Pison
From: Nelly Pison @ 2005-04-06  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello

I have installed a linux synthetic target (lst) and the synthetic serial
device with the host side installed.
 I have made a simple test program hello on the lst that  open and print
characters on the port /dev/ser0 of ecos witch is mapped on /dev/ttyS0
of linux.

When I start the program: hello --io
it seems to works well but I don't receive any characters from the com
port corresponding to /dev/ttyS0 and connected to another PC with an
hyterminal.
I verify that the physical link is OK by writing  a simple program on
linux: it works, I see the characters on the hyperterminal.
With hello --io the following message is written on the console :
"Connecting serial device /dev/ser0 to /dev/ttyS0"
This message is printed by the serial host side serial.tcl. I add other
puts in the tcl for all request the script can execute.
So on the console I see request for:
SYNTH_SERIAL_GETPARAMS
SYNTH_SERIAL_CONFIG

but no request to send characters