* [ECOS] MMU support
@ 2005-10-03 14:43 huleslid
From: huleslid @ 2005-10-03 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi ,

     ECos has MMU support . that is it supports flat
address space concept . I have an application that
should have partition that will run its own process
and should not overlap .

     And I think strict usage of MMU is supported by
power pc target .

   I want to know about the more about MMU and how
could i make partitions stricly followed by eCos . and
also any material regarding will also be helpful to
me.

 Huleslid

* Re: [ECOS] MMU support
@ 2005-10-03 15:14 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-10-03 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: huleslid; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 15:43 +0100, huleslid wrote:
> Hi ,
>
>      ECos has MMU support . that is it supports flat
> address space concept . I have an application that
> should have partition that will run its own process
> and should not overlap .
>
>      And I think strict usage of MMU is supported by
> power pc target .
>
>    I want to know about the more about MMU and how
> could i make partitions stricly followed by eCos . and
> also any material regarding will also be helpful to
> me.

IMO, if you _need_ this, then you should be using Linux, not eCos.
The notion of processes and separate (or even protected) address
spaces are contrary to the basic [very simple] design of eCos.

That said, you could look at the work contributed by 3G Labs a
few years ago.  It was very ARM specific though, and to make it
work on PowerPC would be an effort.  See http://ecos.sourceware.org/contrib.html
for some details.

* Re: [ECOS] MMU support
@ 2005-10-03 16:47   ` huleslid
From: huleslid @ 2005-10-03 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

 hi,

    The application i want to develop is a real time
one and is prefered to be ecos while comparing other
RTOS. and it wants partioned memory that should be
strictly followed .

   how much ecos support it as lynux os have support
for it.

  I went through the link but now 3glabs is not there
any idea about it.

   I want to know what all is to be made to make
memory partion strict .

  Huleslid

* [ECOS] Re: MMU support
@ 2005-10-03 18:00     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2005-10-03 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> The application i want to develop is a real time one and is
> prefered to be ecos while comparing other RTOS.

Since eCos doesn't meet what seems to be your major
requirements, why is eCos to be preferred?

> and it wants partioned memory that should be strictly
> followed.

Then eCos is not the right choice.  eCos does not do
per-process protected memory.  eCos does threads with a single
shared global address space.

> how much ecos support it

None.

> as lynux os have support for it.

Then perhaps that's what you should use.

> I went through the link but now 3glabs is not there any idea
> about it.
>
>  I want to know what all is to be made to make memory partion
>  strict .

From what I know of the kernel, it would require significant
changes in both the kernel design and the build process.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Let's all show human
                                  at               CONCERN for REVEREND MOON's

* Re: [ECOS] MMU support
@ 2005-10-04 10:42     ` Ilija Koco
From: Ilija Koco @ 2005-10-04 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Maybe after-all ecos is not what you could use for your app.
Instead you could see Linux wit RTAI real time extension
<http://www.rtai.org>

If you are happy with non open source (proprietary) RTOS you could see
OS-9 <http:/www.microware.com> It has support for both MMU and MMU-less
architectures.

Regards,
Ilija