* [ECOS] Serial support for arm board
@ 2005-10-27 18:20 Dave B. Sharp
From: Dave B. Sharp @ 2005-10-27 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

 I have an Arcom Viper PXA-255 Arm board with Redboot
and would like to create a simple "Hello World:
application that I can "exec" (not go); I gather there
is no GDB support. I am guessing that this probably
going to require some sort of rudamentary serial port
driver support. Can anyone help w/ source code or
pointers to info.
  Cheers
   Dave Sharp

* Re: [ECOS] Serial support for arm board
@ 2005-10-27 18:27 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-10-27 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave B. Sharp; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 14:20 -0400, Dave B. Sharp wrote:
>  I have an Arcom Viper PXA-255 Arm board with Redboot
> and would like to create a simple "Hello World:
> application that I can "exec" (not go); I gather there
> is no GDB support. I am guessing that this probably
> going to require some sort of rudamentary serial port
> driver support. Can anyone help w/ source code or
> pointers to info.

What do you mean 'exec' instead of 'go'?  The 'exec' command
is really only designed for running Linux kernels.  The 'go'
command can be used for most anything else.

If you explain why you're thinking on this path, maybe we
can provide more data to help you along.

* Re: [ECOS] Serial support for arm board
@ 2005-10-27 18:40   ` Dave B. Sharp
From: Dave B. Sharp @ 2005-10-27 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Ultimatately I am creating a wedge program to go
between Linux and Redboot, so I want the program to
operate in the same mode as Linux (i.e. with mmu,
etc.).
  Cheers
   Dave

@ 2005-10-27 18:47     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-10-27 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave B. Sharp; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 14:40 -0400, Dave B. Sharp wrote:
> Ultimatately I am creating a wedge program to go
> between Linux and Redboot, so I want the program to
> operate in the same mode as Linux (i.e. with mmu,
> etc.).

You still haven't explained what this program is to do.
Why do you think you need a serial driver, etc?
What do you mean a "wedge between RedBoot and Linux?"

@ 2005-10-27 18:57       ` Dave B. Sharp
From: Dave B. Sharp @ 2005-10-27 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

The serial support is simply for output. Since there
is  not gdb debugging support (I am assuming) I am
resorting to printf() development and debugging. If
there is a better way then I am all ears. Other than
that, I just want to be able to see something work
before proceeding.
  The "wedge" is intended to be a program that is
started by Redboot, does its thing, then in turn will
start up the Linux kernel, such as with a layer in a
protocol stack.

@ 2005-10-27 19:02         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-10-27 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave B. Sharp; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 02:57:13PM -0400, Dave B. Sharp wrote:
> The serial support is simply for output. Since there
> is  not gdb debugging support (I am assuming)

Why are you assuming this?

> I am resorting to printf() development and debugging. If there is a
> better way then I am all ears. Other than that, I just want to be
> able to see something work before proceeding.  The "wedge" is
> intended to be a program that is started by Redboot, does its thing,
> then in turn will start up the Linux kernel, such as with a layer in
> a protocol stack.

So why not incorporate this functionallity into RedBoot?

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Serial support for arm board
@ 2005-10-27 19:03         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-10-27 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave B. Sharp; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 14:57 -0400, Dave B. Sharp wrote:
> The serial support is simply for output. Since there
> is  not gdb debugging support (I am assuming) I am
> resorting to printf() development and debugging. If
> there is a better way then I am all ears. Other than
> that, I just want to be able to see something work
> before proceeding.
>   The "wedge" is intended to be a program that is
> started by Redboot, does its thing, then in turn will
> start up the Linux kernel, such as with a layer in a
> protocol stack.

Why not write your wedge program as an eCos application which
"does its thing" and then hands control over to Linux (which
takes over the whole machine anyway)?  Then you have full
facilities to use (serial I/O, GDB debugging, etc).

@ 2005-10-27 19:23           ` Dave B. Sharp
From: Dave B. Sharp @ 2005-10-27 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

That would be great, however, I am assuming Redboot is
a proper subset of Ecos and that I would have to
install Ecos on the board, no? If I screw up the boot
loader install then I am going to have even bigger
problems.
 Or can I just link in the appropriate libs and run
from Redboot?

@ 2005-10-27 19:28             ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-10-27 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave B. Sharp; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 15:22 -0400, Dave B. Sharp wrote:
> That would be great, however, I am assuming Redboot is
> a proper subset of Ecos and that I would have to
> install Ecos on the board, no? If I screw up the boot
> loader install then I am going to have even bigger
> problems.
>  Or can I just link in the appropriate libs and run
> from Redboot?

Exactly so.  Give a look at the eCos documentation
  http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/

@ 2005-10-27 19:33           ` Dave B. Sharp
From: Dave B. Sharp @ 2005-10-27 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: eCos Discussion

I have been looking for gdb with Redboot to no avail,
however I beleive I am about to find out otherwise.
Can  you point me to some info and, can I use gdb in
"exec" mode, since at that point I beleive there will
no longer be any Redboot support (however I could
wrong on  this too).
  Cheers
   Dave

@ 2005-10-27 20:16               ` Dave B. Sharp
From: Dave B. Sharp @ 2005-10-27 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

 I have looked at the docs and knew that ecos
supported  gdb. I have not come across anything
specific to Redboot. The Redboot User's Guide is more
of a sys-admin book. Can you tell me where I might
find any information wrt using gdb with Redboot. If I
use the "exec" <my-app> (which I understand strips
away much of the environment that Redboot has built
up, such as mmu) can I still used gdb? i.e. will gdb
support an app that has been "exec"ed and not "go"ed?
  I am not sure that doing a full ecos install on the
board is an option, beyond my control.
  Cheers
    Dave Sharp

@ 2005-10-27 20:58             ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-10-27 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave B. Sharp; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 03:33:09PM -0400, Dave B. Sharp wrote:
> I have been looking for gdb with Redboot to no avail,
> however I beleive I am about to find out otherwise.
> Can  you point me to some info and, can I use gdb in
> "exec" mode, since at that point I beleive there will
> no longer be any Redboot support

You don't need to use exec mode. Just connect with gdb then use gdb to
load the application into ram, set breakpoints and use gdbs go command
to set it running.

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/using-commandline-testcase.html

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Serial support for arm board
@ 2005-10-31 19:25               ` Dave B. Sharp
From: Dave B. Sharp @ 2005-10-31 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: eCos Discussion

I've compiled and done everything in link you sent:
arm-gdb main
target remore ....
load ...
continue
 continuing

when I do the continue it seem to hang waiting for the
target to connect. When I <cntl-c> out it reports
interupted while waiting for the program
Give up (and stop debugging it?) (y or n)
 Am I missing something? Do I need to write a stub for
my program or is the one in Redboot sufficient?

@ 2005-11-01 10:26                 ` Dirk Husemann
From: Dirk Husemann @ 2005-11-01 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave B. Sharp; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, eCos Discussion

Dave B. Sharp wrote:

>I've compiled and done everything in link you sent:
>arm-gdb main
>target remore ....
>load ...
>continue
> continuing
>
>when I do the continue it seem to hang waiting for the
>target to connect. When I <cntl-c> out it reports
>interupted while waiting for the program
>Give up (and stop debugging it?) (y or n)
> Am I missing something? Do I need to write a stub for
>my program or is the one in Redboot sufficient?

hmm...not sure whether you did that, but did you set a breakpoint? at
least from the summary above it looks like you didn't...

    dirk

>  Cheers
>   Dave
>
>--- Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 03:33:09PM -0400, Dave B.
>>Sharp wrote:
>>

>>>I have been looking for gdb with Redboot to no
>>>

>>avail,
>>

>>>however I beleive I am about to find out
>>>

>>otherwise.
>>

>>>Can  you point me to some info and, can I use gdb
>>>

>>in
>>

>>>"exec" mode, since at that point I beleive there
>>>

>>will
>>

>>>no longer be any Redboot support
>>>

>>You don't need to use exec mode. Just connect with
>>gdb then use gdb to
>>load the application into ram, set breakpoints and
>>use gdbs go command
>>to set it running.
>>

>http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/using-commandline-testcase.html
>

>>        Andrew

>Find your next car at http://autos.yahoo.ca

--
Dr Dirk Husemann, Pervasive Computing, IBM Research, Zurich Research Lab
	hud@zurich.ibm.com --- http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Appended to this email is an electronic signature attachment. You can
ignore it if your email program does not know how to verify such a
signature. If you'd like to learn more about this topic, www.gnupg.org
is a good starting point.

* Re: [ECOS] Serial support for arm board
@ 2005-11-01 13:14                   ` Dave B. Sharp
From: Dave B. Sharp @ 2005-11-01 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Husemann; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, eCos Discussion

No, but even if I had would that have not been cleared
with a reboot?
   Dave

@ 2005-11-01 13:19                     ` Dirk Husemann
From: Dirk Husemann @ 2005-11-01 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)