* [ECOS] eCos for MPC565 - new user
@ 2008-01-31 11:00 ANILA SOOMRO
From: ANILA SOOMRO @ 2008-01-31 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I am a new user of eCos and ultimately want to run eCos on a Phytec's MPC565 board.
I have downloaded eCos and the the hal package does have a mpc5xx folder.
I have read the instructions for rebuilding RedBoot which talks about the Redboot configuration file for that platform, redboot_RAM.ecm or redboot_ROM.ecm but these files are not available in the mpc5xx folder.
Can anyone tell me from where to get these files or how to build RedBoot for MPC565 from the scratch?
What steps do I need to follow to run RedBoot on MPC565?
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

dranne

* Re: [ECOS] eCos for MPC565 - new user
@ 2008-01-31 11:56 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-01-31 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:41:30AM +0000, ANILA SOOMRO wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am a new user of eCos and ultimately want to run eCos on a Phytec's MPC565 board.
> I have downloaded eCos and the the hal package does have a mpc5xx folder.
> I have read the instructions for rebuilding RedBoot which talks about the Redboot configuration file for that platform, redboot_RAM.ecm or redboot_ROM.ecm but these files are not available in the mpc5xx folder.
> Can anyone tell me from where to get these files or how to build RedBoot for MPC565 from the scratch?
> What steps do I need to follow to run RedBoot on MPC565?
> Any help would be highly appreciated.

The mpc5xx package provides generic code for the mpc5xx processor
family. In addition to that you need code specific to your board. eg
look at the cme555 and ec555 packages. These contain the
redboot_RAM.ecm files for that specific board.

You need to first port eCos to your specific board. I don't know the
PPC families, but maybe you can use either the ec555 or the cme555 as
a starting point.

  Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] eCos for MPC565 - new user
@ 2008-01-31 16:11   ` Ilija Koco
From: Ilija Koco @ 2008-01-31 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:41:30AM +0000, ANILA SOOMRO wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am a new user of eCos and ultimately want to run eCos on a Phytec's MPC565 board.
>> I have downloaded eCos and the the hal package does have a mpc5xx folder.
>> I have read the instructions for rebuilding RedBoot which talks about the Redboot configuration file for that platform, redboot_RAM.ecm or redboot_ROM.ecm but these files are not available in the mpc5xx folder.
>> Can anyone tell me from where to get these files or how to build RedBoot for MPC565 from the scratch?
>> What steps do I need to follow to run RedBoot on MPC565?
>> Any help would be highly appreciated.
>>

> The mpc5xx package provides generic code for the mpc5xx processor
> family. In addition to that you need code specific to your board. eg
> look at the cme555 and ec555 packages. These contain the
> redboot_RAM.ecm files for that specific board.
>
> You need to first port eCos to your specific board. I don't know the
> PPC families, but maybe you can use either the ec555 or the cme555 as
> a starting point.

Porting from one to other platform shouldn't be big problem. May need
changes in memory map and eventually boot-loader. This would give 1st
prompt. Then you may need drivers for hw that is different between old
and new target if such exists: flash, ethernet, etc.