From: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
To: Markus Schaber <schabi@logix-tt.com>
Cc: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Porting a new flash driver
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 15:55:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Andrew,
>
> Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>
>>> Ugly, because it looks like the flash driver interface consists of some
>>> static functions, so it will be impossible to support different flashes
>>> concurrently. Luckily, we'll only need a single flash unit at the
>>> moment.
>> Take a look at the flash_v2 branch. We hope that in the next few
>> months to merge this into the trunk.
>
> That sounds interesting, I'll have a look at it. But I'm afraid that,
> for now, I'll go the short path.

Albeit more complex, using the flash_v2 branch is probably your
only choice if you want to run JFFS2 on NAND.  There's quite a lot
of work involved in making this functional (hence why it's not already
in the tree!).  In particular, the JFFS2 code will need to be updated
and there are many NAND specific functions which it expects to be
available which the mainline (flash_v1) does not support.

Alternatively, you could go with the current (flash_v1) setup which
does support NAND devices (somewhat - it's not 100% pretty).  RedBoot
and FIS can be run in this mode, just not JFFS2.

Look at the TAMS MOAB port for an example.

What NAND device(s) are you thinking about using?
What's the target architecture?