* [ECOS] run-tests in configtool
@ 2008-06-12 13:09 Robert Brusa
From: Robert Brusa @ 2008-06-12 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi
Using configtool on my debian etch system, I built an ecos and tests using
the defaults for the AT91SAM7X-EK board. Then I click on run-tests and
configure configtool to download using tty1 (where the serial debug-I/F of
my board is connected). The output I get in the status column of the
summary register of the "run tests-view" alway reads "NoResult". I did the
tests with several programs - alsways "NoResult" and this in no time!

I then checked the serial i/o on tty1 with an oscilloscope and found: No
download and no answer from the board. I also checked the interface by
sending characters with minicom. The I/F is ok.

Then I changed the download interface to 192.168.0.21:2001, the address
and port where my BDI2000 is connected. I launched wireshark, set its
filter for this address and run again a test. Wireshark did not detect any
packets to/from the BDI2000.

My first question: Why does configtool not tell me that it has no contact
with the target. After all, there is a time out specified and it should at
least hang until this timeout has elapsed. Thank you for your helpful
answers and regards.

Second question: How can I fix the problem and run these tests?

Robert

* Re: [ECOS] run-tests in configtool
@ 2008-06-12 14:11 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-06-12 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Brusa; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 03:09:25PM +0200, Robert Brusa wrote:
> Hi
> Using configtool on my debian etch system, I built an ecos and tests
> using the defaults for the AT91SAM7X-EK board.

Humm, is it even possible to run the test tests in an automated way
with the AT91SAM7X-EK? Normally when using the AT91SAM7X-EK you would
use a jtag programmer to program the image into flash. Once it is in
flash you could then use gdb to run the test. Is your gdb able to
download programs to flash?

I've never used the ability of configtools to run automated tests. But
i think it assumes that gdb will be used to download the test into RAM
and then it will be run. The HAL in anoncvs does not support RAM
builds for the AT91SAM7X-EK and even if it did, the amount of RAM is
so small on these devices you would be limited to only a few of the
tests which would build.

      Andrew

* [ECOS] Re: run-tests in configtool
@ 2008-06-16 11:02 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2008-06-16 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob.Brusa; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Bob

Robert Brusa wrote:

> Using configtool on my debian etch system, I built an ecos and tests
> using the defaults for the AT91SAM7X-EK board. Then I click on run-tests
> and configure configtool to download using tty1 (where the serial
> debug-I/F of my board is connected). The output I get in the status
> column of the summary register of the "run tests-view" alway reads
> "NoResult". I did the tests with several programs - alsways "NoResult"
> and this in no time!
>
> I then checked the serial i/o on tty1 with an oscilloscope and found: No
> download and no answer from the board. I also checked the interface by
> sending characters with minicom. The I/F is ok.
>
> Then I changed the download interface to 192.168.0.21:2001, the address
> and port where my BDI2000 is connected. I launched wireshark, set its
> filter for this address and run again a test. Wireshark did not detect
> any packets to/from the BDI2000.

The run tests functionality requires diagnostic output from tests to be
routed via the GDB debug channel. This feature will not work with JTAG
debuggers. However, this does not explain why you observed no ethernet
traffic.

> My first question: Why does configtool not tell me that it has no
> contact with the target. After all, there is a time out specified and it
> should at least hang until this timeout has elapsed. Thank you for your
> helpful answers and regards.

You should see any connection problems reported on the "Output" tab of
the run tests dialog.

> Second question: How can I fix the problem and run these tests?

If your Linux distro does not use /dev/ttyS<n> naming for serial ports
then you will need to modify ecRunTestsDialog::TranslatePort() in
runtestsdlg.cpp appropriately.

John Dallaway
eCosCentric Limited