* [ECOS] SNMP authentication problem
@ 2008-06-25 12:05 Alperen Coskun
From: Alperen Coskun @ 2008-06-25 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos discuss

Hi all,
I'm using SNMP V3 configured in ECOS. I have  a problem like that;
User page on ECOS web site says, we can configure agent authentication for V3 in snmpd.conf file. I'm writing following lines to that
file as below:

createUser username MD5 "password" DES
rwuser username auth

I aim to use authentication with no privacy. Also MD5 for authentication. But, ECOS agent does not create any user like that,
also I see that it doesn't use MD5. (I seached source c files and found nothing)
What am I doing wrong?  I expect after writing lines above in snmd.conf file will create an USM user and with setting SNMP manager
according to that user data,  I can get and set parameters. Could anyone help me?

* Re: [ECOS] SNMP authentication problem
@ 2008-06-25 12:19 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-06-25 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alperen Coskun; +Cc: ecos discuss

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 02:10:21PM +0300, Alperen Coskun wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm using SNMP V3 configured in ECOS. I have  a problem like that;
> User page on ECOS web site says, we can configure agent authentication for V3 in snmpd.conf file. I'm writing following lines to that
> file as below:
>
> createUser username MD5 "password" DES
> rwuser username auth
>
> I aim to use authentication with no privacy. Also MD5 for authentication. But, ECOS agent does not create any user like that,
> also I see that it doesn't use MD5. (I seached source c files and found nothing)

md5 code is in net/snmp/lib/current/src/md5.c

Did you not find that?

    Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] SNMP authentication problem
@ 2008-06-25 12:42   ` Alperen Coskun
From: Alperen Coskun @ 2008-06-25 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos discuss

I know its place, but I asked as the basic of SNMP, when I entered lines below to /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file:

createUser username MD5  "password"
rwuser username auth

it should create a user "username" with password "password" and encrypt&cypt the coming-coming packets according to MD5.  But, neither it creates a user in usm nor it encrypts&cypts the packets. The thing I want to learn is why it doesn't do it. When I aim to get any parameter from agent, agent says there isn't any user recorded. Am i doing sth wrong?

@ 2008-06-25 15:46     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-06-25 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alperen Coskun; +Cc: ecos discuss

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 03:22:48PM +0300, Alperen Coskun wrote:

> I know its place, but I asked as the basic of SNMP, when I entered lines below to /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file:
>
> createUser username MD5  "password"
> rwuser username auth
>
> it should create a user "username" with password "password" and encrypt&cypt the coming-coming packets according to MD5.  But, neither it creates a user in usm nor it encrypts&cypts the packets. The thing I want to learn is why it doesn't do it. When I aim to get any parameter from agent, agent says there isn't any user recorded. Am i doing sth wrong?

I think i once did use the snmpd.conf file, but i don't remember if we
put users in it. I did test create using dynamically using the tests
shown on

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/net-snmp-test-cases.html

Do these tests work for you? I you might need to enable some of the
features in tests/snmpping.c

    Andrew

* [ECOS] LwIP PPP interface not coming up
@ 2008-06-26  7:26     ` Frank Pagliughi
From: Frank Pagliughi @ 2008-06-26  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos discuss

Hey All,

I'm trying to test out PPP with lwip. Currently I'm just trying to get
one of the lwip test applications, like 'tcpecho', to negotiate with a
host (a Linux machine over a direct serial connection). It performs the
negotiation, exchanges IP addresses, but it appears that maybe the ppp
interface never comes up on the target. I'm getting the same behavior
with an ARM EB55 target and an i386 PC target. I see similar questions
posted from a few years back, but no solution.

Thanks,
Frank

Here's part of the debug output:

    IPCP: sending Configure-Request, id 3
    pbuf_free(0x002351a0)
    pbuf_free: deallocating 0x002351a0
    pppInProc[0]: got 15 bytes
    pbuf_alloc(length=0)
    pbuf_alloc: allocated pbuf 0x002351a0
    pbuf_alloc(length=0) == 0x002351a0
    tcpip_thread: CALLBACK 0x002350b0
    pbuf_header: old 0x002351b0 new 0x002351b8 (-8)
    pppInput[0]: IPCP len=10
    fsm_input(IPCP):2,3,10
    fsm_rconfack(IPCP): Rcvd id 3 state=8
    np_up: 0 proto=21
    np_up: maxconnect=0 idle_time_limit=0
    ipcp: up
    netif_set_ipaddr: netif address being changed
    netif: IP address of interface  set to 192.168.0.233
    netif: netmask of interface  set to 255.255.255.0
    netif: GW address of interface  set to 192.168.0.5
    netif: added interface pp IP addr 192.168.0.233 netmask
    255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.0.5
    sifup: unit 0: linkStatusCB=20e81c errCode=0
    callback 0
    netif: setting default interface pp
    local  IP address 192.168.0.233
    remote IP address 192.168.0.5
    pbuf_free(0x002351a0)
    pbuf_free: deallocating 0x002351a0
    pppInProc[0]: got 88 bytes
    pbuf_alloc(length=0)
    pbuf_alloc: allocated pbuf 0x002351a0
    pbuf_alloc(length=0) == 0x002351a0
    tcpip_thread: CALLBACK 0x002350b0
    pbuf_header: old 0x002351b0 new 0x002351b8 (-8)
    pppInput[0]: ip in pbuf len=84
    ip_input: iphdr->dest 0xe900a8c0 netif->ip_addr 0xe900a8c0 (0xa8c0,
    0xa8c0, 0xe9000000)     <--- The correct interface?
    ip_input: iphdr->dest 0xe900a8c0 netif->ip_addr 0x100007f (0xc0,
    0x7f, 0xe900a800)
    ip_input: packet not for us.
    ip_forward: not bouncing packets back on incoming interface.
    pbuf_free(0x002351a0)
    pbuf_free: deallocating 0x002351a0
    pppMainWakeup: unit 0 sio_read len=1504 returned 0

@ 2008-06-26 10:08       ` Alperen Coskun
From: Alperen Coskun @ 2008-06-26 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos discuss

Thanks for your response,

I think, the main problem is my ECOS snmp agent doesn't read the lines from snmd.conf file. (or reads but doesn't use it)
Because, it should at least call "vacm_parse_security" or "vacm_parse_group" functions to register the user. but, it doesn't.
Or, i'm still missing some points.

May be there are some patches i didn't use. Can it be the problem?

@ 2008-06-26 11:24         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-06-26 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alperen Coskun; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, ecos discuss

Alperen Coskun wrote:

> Thanks for your response,
>
> I think, the main problem is my ECOS snmp agent doesn't read the lines from snmd.conf file. (or reads but doesn't use it)
> Because, it should at least call "vacm_parse_security" or "vacm_parse_group" functions to register the user. but, it doesn't.
> Or, i'm still missing some points.
>
> May be there are some patches i didn't use. Can it be the problem?

Where did you expect it to "read" this file from?  This is an _embedded_ system, no?

@ 2008-06-26 13:28           ` Alperen Coskun
From: Alperen Coskun @ 2008-06-26 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, ecos discuss

I can create a file named as "snmpd.conf" in run time, write the given usernames, groups etc in it, then in "read_config.c" file, I can set SNMPCONFPATH as the folder to be read. I did it like that. But, I couldn't find a code  where it reads these lines in file...

> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 05:13:15 -0600
> From: gary@mlbassoc.com
> To: a_a_coskunoc@hotmail.com
> CC: andrew@lunn.ch; ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
> Subject: Re: [ECOS] SNMP authentication problem
>
> Alperen Coskun wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for your response,
> >
> > I think, the main problem is my ECOS snmp agent doesn't read the lines from snmd.conf file. (or reads but doesn't use it)
> > Because, it should at least call "vacm_parse_security" or "vacm_parse_group" functions to register the user. but, it doesn't.
> > Or, i'm still missing some points.
> >
> > May be there are some patches i didn't use. Can it be the problem?
>
> Where did you expect it to "read" this file from?  This is an _embedded_ system, no?

> >> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:41:20 +0200
> >> From: andrew@lunn.ch
> >> To: a_a_coskunoc@hotmail.com
> >> CC: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
> >> Subject: Re: [ECOS] SNMP authentication problem

> >> I think i once did use the snmpd.conf file, but i don't remember if we
> >> put users in it. I did test create using dynamically using the tests
> >> shown on
> >>
> >> http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/net-snmp-test-cases.html
> >>
> >> Do these tests work for you? I you might need to enable some of the
> >> features in tests/snmpping.c
> >>
> >>     Andrew
>

> --
> Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
> MLB Associates              |    Embedded world

* Re: [ECOS] LwIP PPP interface not coming up
@ 2008-06-26 13:56       ` Frank Pagliughi
From: Frank Pagliughi @ 2008-06-26 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Pagliughi; +Cc: ecos discuss

Frank Pagliughi wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I'm trying to test out PPP with lwip. Currently I'm just trying to get
> one of the lwip test applications, like 'tcpecho', to negotiate with a
> host (a Linux machine over a direct serial connection). It performs
> the negotiation, exchanges IP addresses, but it appears that maybe the
> ppp interface never comes up on the target. I'm getting the same
> behavior with an ARM EB55 target and an i386 PC target. I see similar
> questions posted from a few years back, but no solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Frank
OK, I think I answered my own question. The code appears to be missing
the call to bring up the interface when the PPP connection comes up. In
sifup() in ppp.c, @ line 1009 it reads:

    if (netif_add(&pc->netif, ...)) {
        pc->if_up = 1;
        pc->errCode = PPPERR_NONE;

It never marks the interface "cp->netif" as being up.   A call to
netif_set_up() appears to fix it:

    if (netif_add(&pc->netif, ...)) {
        netif_set_up(&pc->netif);
        pc->if_up = 1;
        pc->errCode = PPPERR_NONE;

This seems to have been added to the lwip sources at version 1.2.0.

Frank