* [ECOS] Red-Boot & Multiple Flash IC's
@ 2008-08-26 19:59 sebastian igielski
From: sebastian igielski @ 2008-08-26 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi!

We have porting Red-Boot to our platform based on EP9302 microprocessor
(produced by Cirrus Logic, ARM920T core inside). I have one question
about using multiple flash IC's connected to different chip selects, uut
at first I must tell something about our hardware platform.

In a few words, we have on board following IC's:

1x MCU: EP9302 (ARM920T core, 16 bit wide data bus)
4x SDRAM (one SDRAM chip have 32Mbyte capacity, four banks - [8MBytes
per bank]) - Total: 128Mbytes of RAM
2x NOR FLASH (JS28F1283D) (connected to two separate chip selects) (The
NOR flash chips is Intel-Strata FLASH IC's.)

One NOR-FLASH chip have 16-bit data bus. The NOR-Flash chips is placed
at 0x6000_0000 and 0x7000_0000 in physical memory layout. After
configuring and enabling the MMU the NOR-Flash chips is mapped as
follows (virtual address space):

IC #1: 0x6000_0000 - 0x60FF_FFFF
IC #2: 0x6100_0000 - 0x61FF_FFFF

And now is my question about Red-Boot environment. It is possible to
(and how to do it) use both NOR flash chips?
Now I have working only one chip (placed at virtual address:
0x6000_0000-0x60FF_FFFF).

I have no idea how to tell Red-Boot/Strata Flash driver to see my second
NOR-Flash chip. It is possible to RedBoot handle this kind of hardware
configuration?

Some people told me that I must modify the "CYGNUM_FLASH_DEVICES", but
in my humble opinion this variable defines the FLASH IC's needed to
coverage the data bus by multiple FLASH IC's (for example: when I have
32 bit wide data bus, and when I have two 16 bit FLASH IC's to coverage
32-bit data bus - in that case CYGNUM_FLASH_DEVICES must be set to 2).
I'm correct?

In our hardware the data bus is 16-bit wide and FLASH IC is 16 bit wide
(so one flash chip coverage all data bus), the second FLASH IC is used
to extend size of flash memory size. As i written above, I have working
first FLASH CHIP. And I don't know to add second chip to RedBoot
environment.

If anybody can suggest me right solution of my problem, or give any
helpful idea I will be graceful.

I have ecos-2.0 package.

with regards
Sebastian Igielski

* Re: [ECOS] Red-Boot & Multiple Flash IC's
@ 2008-08-27 14:52 ` Jürgen Lambrecht
From: Jürgen Lambrecht @ 2008-08-27 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sebastian igielski; +Cc: ecos-discuss

sebastian igielski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We have porting Red-Boot to our platform based on EP9302
> microprocessor (produced by Cirrus Logic, ARM920T core inside). I have
> one question about using multiple flash IC's connected to different
> chip selects, uut at first I must tell something about our hardware
> platform.
>
> In a few words, we have on board following IC's:
>
> 1x MCU: EP9302 (ARM920T core, 16 bit wide data bus)
> 4x SDRAM (one SDRAM chip have 32Mbyte capacity, four banks - [8MBytes
> per bank]) - Total: 128Mbytes of RAM
> 2x NOR FLASH (JS28F1283D) (connected to two separate chip selects)
> (The NOR flash chips is Intel-Strata FLASH IC's.)
>
> One NOR-FLASH chip have 16-bit data bus. The NOR-Flash chips is placed
> at 0x6000_0000 and 0x7000_0000 in physical memory layout. After
> configuring and enabling the MMU the NOR-Flash chips is mapped as
> follows (virtual address space):
>
> IC #1: 0x6000_0000 - 0x60FF_FFFF
> IC #2: 0x6100_0000 - 0x61FF_FFFF
>
> And now is my question about Red-Boot environment. It is possible to
> (and how to do it) use both NOR flash chips?
> Now I have working only one chip (placed at virtual address:
> 0x6000_0000-0x60FF_FFFF).
>
> I have no idea how to tell Red-Boot/Strata Flash driver to see my
> second NOR-Flash chip. It is possible to RedBoot handle this kind of
> hardware configuration?
>
> Some people told me that I must modify the "CYGNUM_FLASH_DEVICES", but
> in my humble opinion this variable defines the FLASH IC's needed to
> coverage the data bus by multiple FLASH IC's (for example: when I have
> 32 bit wide data bus, and when I have two 16 bit FLASH IC's to
> coverage 32-bit data bus - in that case CYGNUM_FLASH_DEVICES must be
> set to 2). I'm correct?
i also think so

> In our hardware the data bus is 16-bit wide and FLASH IC is 16 bit
> wide (so one flash chip coverage all data bus), the second FLASH IC is
> used to extend size of flash memory size. As i written above, I have
> working first FLASH CHIP. And I don't know to add second chip to
> RedBoot environment.
>
> If anybody can suggest me right solution of my problem, or give any
> helpful idea I will be graceful.
>
> I have ecos-2.0 package.
you should take the latest version from cvs

> with regards
> Sebastian Igielski

I have 1 flash IC of 64 MB, by I can only access 16 MB per chip select,
so I use 4 chip selects to acces my flash. This is transparant for
redboot. Redboot only sees 1 chip. My arm7 has no MMU; the 4 address
ranges nicely follow each other; you need to do a correct mapping of the
address/data bus to your address range.

I think to have 2 separate flash chips and 2 times mounting, you need
the flash_v2 drivers (flash_v2 label in /io/flash).

Success,
JĂźrgen

* Re: [ECOS] Red-Boot & Multiple Flash IC's
@ 2008-09-03 11:51 ` sebastian igielski
From: sebastian igielski @ 2008-09-03 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi!

Sorry for my simple questions but generally I'm a hardware engineer and
I have little experience with red-boot and ecos environment. I search
for the solution over the archive of this mailing list, and a few people
says when I have multiple flash IC's I must include second instance of
flash driver. Anybody can help me a little? Show the right path or place
to search right solution?

with greetings
Sebastian Igielski

--
Sebastian Igielski
tel. kom. 510-031-061

Kolporter Info S.A. - oddziaÂł Mazowiecki ul. Wolska 84/86
01-141 Warszawa

Kolporter Info S.A. w Kielcach, 25-528 Kielce, ul.  ZagnaĂąska 61,
wpisana do Rejestru PrzedsiĂŞbiorcĂłw prowadzonego przez SÂąd Rejonowy
w Kielcach WydziaÂł X Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru SÂądowego pod
numerem KRS 0000020108, o kapitale zakÂładowym w wysokoÂści 500 000 PLN,
w caÂłoÂści wpÂłaconym, posiadajÂącÂą numer NIP: 959-14-86-133.

* Re: [ECOS] Red-Boot & Multiple Flash IC's
@ 2008-09-03 12:08   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-09-03 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sebastian igielski; +Cc: ecos-discuss

sebastian igielski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sorry for my simple questions but generally I'm a hardware engineer and
> I have little experience with red-boot and ecos environment. I search
> for the solution over the archive of this mailing list, and a few people
> says when I have multiple flash IC's I must include second instance of
> flash driver. Anybody can help me a little? Show the right path or place
> to search right solution?

There are many examples of how to do this in the public tree.  Look at the
ARM/Integrator platform - it uses 2 banks of 4 Intel FLASH devices.