* [ECOS] Re: eCos Configuration Tool experimental build for Vista
@ 2008-09-05 10:58 John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2008-09-05 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brennan; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi David

The issue you describe arises because the CDL library, on which the eCos
host tools are based, uses Tcl to read/write files. Tcl uses its own
line-ending translation layer and ignores the Cygwin filesystem mount
mode (text or binary). This is one of the reasons why I always recommend
the use of a filesystem mounted in text mode for eCos development on
Microsoft Windows.

While it would certainly be possible to hack the eCos tools to
workaround this issue, the correct location for a fix would be in the
Tcl library.

John Dallaway
eCosCentric Limited

From: John Dallaway @ 2008-09-05  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tyler Wilson; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Tyler

The native Tcl DLL filename is the same as that of the Cygwin Tcl DLL.
In my opinion, the Cygwin Tcl/Tk package should use a different DLL name
such as cygtcl84.dll. I will look into the possibility of at least
warning users about this problem as you suggest. Of course, you can
arrange for the Cygwin /bin directory to be ahead of C:\Tcl\bin in your
PATH when you invoke the eCos Configuration Tool, but it will not be
possible to use an application which requires the ActiveTcl tcl84.dll at
the same time as a tool which requires the Cygwin tcl84.dll.

John Dallaway
eCosCentric Limited

From: David Brennan @ 2008-09-04 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2008-09-04 12:49         ` Tyler Wilson
From: Tyler Wilson @ 2008-09-04 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2008-09-04 12:24       ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2008-09-04 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tyler Wilson; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Tyler

@ 2008-09-04 12:21     ` Tyler Wilson
From: Tyler Wilson @ 2008-09-04 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergei Gavrikov; +Cc: John Dallaway, ecos-discuss

@ 2008-09-04 12:02   ` Sergei Gavrikov
From: Sergei Gavrikov @ 2008-09-04 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tyler Wilson; +Cc: John Dallaway, ecos-discuss

@ 2008-09-04 11:36 ` Tyler Wilson
From: Tyler Wilson @ 2008-09-04 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway, ecos-discuss

FYI, I have used this experimental build on Vista without any issues. I
also used the previous version without incident as well though.

One item that did hang me up for a while though was that the Windows
configtool is NOT compatible with the Windows Tcl (I used ActiveTcl from
ActiveState). You have to use the Tcl that is installed along with
cygwin. For some reason this was not clear to me. I would think other
Windows users may get bitten here too.

Thank you,
Tyler

http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss

* [ECOS] Re: eCos Configuration Tool experimental build for Vista
@ 2008-09-04  7:58 John Dallaway