From: "simon.kallweit@intefo.ch" <simon.kallweit@intefo.ch>
To: Christian Meusel <christian.meusel@inf.tu-dresden.de>
Cc: eCos Disuss <ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Cortex-M3 port
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:25:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Christian Meusel wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
>> * Is there any interest in getting some community driven automatic
>> testing infrastructure up and running? The current state is ok for
>> doing single tests from time to time, but not to have an automated
>> process. I'll further work with qmtest to automate our internal
>> testing, but I wonder if there is interest to do this development in
>> the community?
>
> I'm currently working on a port of eCos to a ColdFire MCF5282 and
> started running first tests. Running tests from the configtool or
> manually does not provide me the comfort im used to when doing unit
> testing.
>
> I have no experience with QMTest but having a framework which allows
> me to run a bunch of tests automatically on a target would be great.
> Especially when it allows to integrate tools for asserting hardware
> resets to the target.

If you are interested, check out the my SVN repo at

https://svn.inthemill.ch/ecos-cortex/trunk

There is a scripts/qmtest folder which contains the qmtest class I
wrote. This is just a proof-of-concept right now, nothing really
serious. What it does is basically using OpenOCD/Telnet to flash a test
binary, open a serial console for logging, doing a reset, and letting
the test run, collecting it's output. The output is then parsed (using
the semantics defined for ecos tests) and a test result is generated.
This is all very targeted towards my needs right now, but it could be
divided up into smaller components using qmtest. We could for example
abstract the actual running of the test from the parsing of the test's
output. This way we could run tests using the GDB support in redboot,
using JTAGs, using a simulator or whatever. The nice thing about qmtest
is that you get a good tool for organizing your tests,
starting/controlling batch runs, and examining the results. This can be
all done either using CLI or a simple embedded webserver.

Let me know what you think about it.

Simon