* [ECOS]  Pointer to multilib configuration docs?
@ 2009-01-04 22:03 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2009-01-04 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Can somebody point me to docs on how mutlilib configuration
works?  I can't seem to come up with the right set of search
terms for google.

I tried building arm-elf tools using the multilib/big-endian
patches from the ecos web site, but that builds _way_ too many
combinations of multilib since it also adds support for a bunch
of arcitectures I don't care about (xscale, sa1100, arm9, ...).
I've got a slow computer, and I just don't have the time to
build hundreds of multilib combinations.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to build big-endian support
without all the unneeded cpu type (and without thumb and
hwfloat support if possible). But, builds keep failing.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! CHUBBY CHECKER just
                                  at               had a CHICKEN SANDWICH in

* Re: [ECOS]  Pointer to multilib configuration docs?
@ 2009-01-05  8:23 ` Ilija Kocho
From: Ilija Kocho @ 2009-01-05  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Grant

Couple of years ago I built Gnu tools for big endian ARM (on Linux)
following instructions from eCos web page.
Unfortunately I'm not sure if I can find patched sources on some old
machine but I have binaries that I copied to several machines and still
use them.

A hint: I recall it was before GCC 4 so I guess i compiled them with GCC
3.4.

Best regards
Ilija

@ 2009-01-05 10:40 ` Sergei Gavrikov
From: Sergei Gavrikov @ 2009-01-05 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Grant Edwards wrote:
> Can somebody point me to docs on how mutlilib configuration
> works?  I can't seem to come up with the right set of search
> terms for google.

It seems that would be: "t-arm-elf" +bigendian

> I tried building arm-elf tools using the multilib/big-endian
> patches from the ecos web site, but that builds _way_ too many
> combinations of multilib since it also adds support for a bunch
> of arcitectures I don't care about (xscale, sa1100, arm9, ...).
> I've got a slow computer, and I just don't have the time to
> build hundreds of multilib combinations.

I would suggest to install 'ccache' then (http://ccache.samba.org/). At
the first, it's possible, you can get an extra multilib stuff and it
will take a time:-), but, the next builds (after every tweaking of
t-arm-elf) will be pass with rocket speed if you will install 'ccache'.
By the way, I use ccache to rebuild and eCos libraries. I've got a slow
computer too.

It's a good point to try http://gnuarm.org/t-arm-elf for a tweaking.

Sergei

* [ECOS]  Re: Pointer to multilib configuration docs?
@ 2009-01-05 16:21   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2009-01-05 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2009-01-05, Sergei Gavrikov <sg@belvok.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> Can somebody point me to docs on how mutlilib configuration
>> works?  I can't seem to come up with the right set of search
>> terms for google.
>
> It seems that would be: "t-arm-elf" +bigendian

Yup.  I've managed to come up with a version of t-arm-elf that
builds big-endian support without all of the extra
architectures added by the multilib patch on the eCos web site.
I can't tell if it's still building both hard and soft float
support or not, but getting rid of the 3 extra architectures
reduced the build time down to the point where I can get work
done.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I know th'MAMBO!!
                                  at               I have a TWO-TONE CHEMISTRY

* [ECOS]  Re: Pointer to multilib configuration docs?
@ 2009-01-05 16:25   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2009-01-05 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2009-01-05, Ilija Kocho <ilijak@siva.com.mk> wrote:

> Couple of years ago I built Gnu tools for big endian ARM (on Linux)
> following instructions from eCos web page.

Right.  Those instructions are the ones that add so many
multilib options that it takes forever to build.

> Unfortunately I'm not sure if I can find patched sources on some old
> machine but I have binaries that I copied to several machines and still
> use them.
>
> A hint: I recall it was before GCC 4 so I guess i compiled them with GCC
> 3.4.

That's another good point: you can't build gcc 3.2.1 using gcc
4, you have to have a gcc 3 compiler to build gcc 3.2.1.

Then of course there's all the usual Cygwing breakage thrown in
on top of that...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm shaving!!
                                  at               I'M SHAVING!!