From: Daniel Saltmann <Daniel.Saltmann@udo.edu>
To: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Problem with pc target and floppy/grub
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 09:09:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Daniel Saltmann schrieb:
> I want to use eCos on an i386 target booting from floppy or grub. There
> are no problems installing ecos or creating a floppy or grub image. The
> system boots from floppy but then the screen turns black.
>
> I tried different examples and tests on
>  - real hardware, vmware, bochs and qemu
>  - using all combinations with all ecos pc targets
>  - and the pre-built i386-elf toolchain.
>
> Do I expect something wrong or does anyone see my problem? Any more
> details required?

Hello,

I tried different things but was not able to resolve my problems on my
own. There is no activity on the serial ports, even if output to pc
screen is disabled.

Here is my procedure to create the disk images, maybe there is a
peculiar mistake:

-- start --

ecos$
source ecosenv.sh

ecos$
configtool
	-> HW-Template i386 with 8139 network (all tried)
	-> just changed "i386 PC Target / Startup type" to "floppy"
	-> Build Library
	-> saved as "ecos/daniel1" and exit

ecos$
cd ecos-3.0/examples

ecos/ecos-3.0/examples$
i386-elf-gcc -g -I ../../daniel1_install/include hello.c -L
../../daniel1_install/lib -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib

ecos/ecos-3.0/examples$
i386-elf-objcopy -O binary a.out app.bin

ecos/ecos-3.0/examples$
dd conv=sync if=app.bin of=/dev/fd0

-- end --

Anything suspicious? Thanks for your help!

Regards,
	Daniel.