* [ECOS] Problem with pc target and floppy/grub
@ 2009-05-04 16:06 Daniel Saltmann
From: Daniel Saltmann @ 2009-05-04 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

I want to use eCos on an i386 target booting from floppy or grub. There
are no problems installing ecos or creating a floppy or grub image. The
system boots from floppy but then the screen turns black.

I tried different examples and tests on
 - real hardware, vmware, bochs and qemu
 - using all combinations with all ecos pc targets
 - and the pre-built i386-elf toolchain.

Do I expect something wrong or does anyone see my problem? Any more
details required?

Thanks, Daniel.

* Re: [ECOS] Problem with pc target and floppy/grub
@ 2009-05-04 17:37 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2009-05-04 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Saltmann; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 06:05:48PM +0200, Daniel Saltmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use eCos on an i386 target booting from floppy or grub. There
> are no problems installing ecos or creating a floppy or grub image. The
> system boots from floppy but then the screen turns black.
>
> I tried different examples and tests on
>  - real hardware, vmware, bochs and qemu
>  - using all combinations with all ecos pc targets
>  - and the pre-built i386-elf toolchain.
>
> Do I expect something wrong or does anyone see my problem? Any more
> details required?

What is happening on the serial ports?

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Problem with pc target and floppy/grub
@ 2009-05-04 21:41   ` Daniel Saltmann
From: Daniel Saltmann @ 2009-05-04 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> What is happening on the serial ports?

Seems nothing, I connected a serial terminal to find out already. And I
have selected to use the screen for outputs (was mentioned somewhere else).

@ 2009-06-03  9:09 ` Daniel Saltmann
From: Daniel Saltmann @ 2009-06-03  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Daniel Saltmann schrieb:
> I want to use eCos on an i386 target booting from floppy or grub. There
> are no problems installing ecos or creating a floppy or grub image. The
> system boots from floppy but then the screen turns black.
>
> I tried different examples and tests on
>  - real hardware, vmware, bochs and qemu
>  - using all combinations with all ecos pc targets
>  - and the pre-built i386-elf toolchain.
>
> Do I expect something wrong or does anyone see my problem? Any more
> details required?

Hello,

I tried different things but was not able to resolve my problems on my
own. There is no activity on the serial ports, even if output to pc
screen is disabled.

Here is my procedure to create the disk images, maybe there is a
peculiar mistake:

-- start --

ecos$
source ecosenv.sh

ecos$
configtool
	-> HW-Template i386 with 8139 network (all tried)
	-> just changed "i386 PC Target / Startup type" to "floppy"
	-> Build Library
	-> saved as "ecos/daniel1" and exit

ecos$
cd ecos-3.0/examples

ecos/ecos-3.0/examples$
i386-elf-gcc -g -I ../../daniel1_install/include hello.c -L
../../daniel1_install/lib -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib

ecos/ecos-3.0/examples$
i386-elf-objcopy -O binary a.out app.bin

ecos/ecos-3.0/examples$
dd conv=sync if=app.bin of=/dev/fd0

-- end --

Anything suspicious? Thanks for your help!

Regards,
	Daniel.

* [ECOS] Re: Problem with pc target and floppy/grub
@ 2009-06-03 11:56   ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-06-03 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Saltmann; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Daniel

Daniel Saltmann wrote:

> Here is my procedure to create the disk images, maybe there is a
> peculiar mistake:

[ snip ]

> ecos$
> cd ecos-3.0/examples
>
> ecos/ecos-3.0/examples$
> i386-elf-gcc -g -I ../../daniel1_install/include hello.c -L
> ../../daniel1_install/lib -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib

There are various compiler flags missing in the above line. Try building
the example code using the supplied makefile. Something like:

  cd ecos-3.0/examples
  make hello INSTALL_DIR=../../daniel1_install

Output should be to the zeroth serial port by default (equivalent to
/dev/ttyS0 on Linux or COM1 on Windows).

John Dallaway

* [ECOS] Re: Problem with pc target and floppy/grub
@ 2009-07-13 14:54     ` Daniel Saltmann
       [not found]       ` <2a3305fe0911110844r2802ec82p3aef2e31ffd57397@mail.gmail.com>
From: Daniel Saltmann @ 2009-07-13 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

John Dallaway schrieb:
> There are various compiler flags missing in the above line. Try building
> the example code using the supplied makefile. Something like:
>
>   cd ecos-3.0/examples
>   make hello INSTALL_DIR=../../daniel1_install
>
> Output should be to the zeroth serial port by default (equivalent to
> /dev/ttyS0 on Linux or COM1 on Windows).
>
> John Dallaway

Thanks for your reply, but this was not the problem. It works also with
my simple gcc-call. Maybe I made a mistake watching the serial ports
because I never saw activity from ecos there.

Finally it works with the pc screen, setting "Diagnostic serial port" to
"Number of communication channels on the board" - 1.

Thanks for your help,

	Daniel.

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Problem with pc target and floppy/grub
@ 2009-11-11 16:51       ` Mike Arthur
       [not found]       ` <2a3305fe0911110844r2802ec82p3aef2e31ffd57397@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mike Arthur @ 2009-11-11 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Daniel Saltmann
<daniel.saltmann@udo.edu> wrote:

> John Dallaway schrieb:
> > There are various compiler flags missing in the above line. Try building
> > the example code using the supplied makefile. Something like:
> >
> >   cd ecos-3.0/examples
> >   make hello INSTALL_DIR=../../daniel1_install
> >
> > Output should be to the zeroth serial port by default (equivalent to
> > /dev/ttyS0 on Linux or COM1 on Windows).
> >
> > John Dallaway
>
> Thanks for your reply, but this was not the problem. It works also with
> my simple gcc-call. Maybe I made a mistake watching the serial ports
> because I never saw activity from ecos there.
>
> Finally it works with the pc screen, setting "Diagnostic serial port" to
> "Number of communication channels on the board" - 1.

Daniel,

Did print outs appear on your pc screen with printf() or did it only
work with diag_printf()?

Thanks,
Mike

@ 2009-11-11 17:32         ` Daniel Saltmann
From: Daniel Saltmann @ 2009-11-11 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Arthur; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Did print outs appear on your pc screen with printf() or did it only work
> with diag_printf()?

Mike,

actually I don't know. I used the examples delivered with ecos and did not
write any code myself.

Regards,

   Daniel.