* [ECOS] Re: Switching to using git on eCosForge
@ 2009-09-21 14:39 Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2009-09-21 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Disuss

[Apologies to sergei for repost - grrr]

Sergei Organov wrote on 2009-09-21 14:05:
> Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>> Both bazaar and mercurial were a lot easier to learn and work with
>> than git. git's Windows support is also limited and is mostly
>> restricted to the 100's of cmd apps which make up git under cygwin.
>>

> Once again, I'm not a Windows user, but is this really true nowadays?
>
> E.g., what about this one:
>
> <http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/>
>
> Isn't it good enough for Windows users?

and hg has TortoiseHG <http://tortoisehg.sourceforge.net/>
(http://tortoisehg.sourceforge.net/).  Like I said, feature comparison
between git and hg is pretty much on a par...

Lack of windows support/integration is not my main argument against git
FWIW.

My main argument against git is it has a very steep initial learning
curve, and from experience you can hang yourself if you do not know what
you are doing.  (Yes, there are rollbacks, etc, but sometimes it is a
while down the line before you realise you did something wrong). You
really don't want to force new users on an additional learning curve.
There are 100's of commands to remember, whereas both bzr and hg have one.

Also, while documentation is improving (http://book.git-scm.com/), it is
not as good or complete as mercurial (http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/)
in terms of non-power users.  Both have books in print available from
places like Amazon.

For example, I started my evaluation with bzr, then hg then git. bzr and
hg were a lot easiest to pick up and start using than git.  I also have
done most of my eval on Linux, dropping back to Windows to see how easy
it was to use and integrate graphical diff tools, etc.

For other comparisons see:
http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/DVCSAnalysis
http://www.rockstarprogrammer.org/post/2008/apr/06/differences-between-mercurial-and-git/
http://importantshock.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/git-vs-mercurial/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1450348/git-equivalents-of-most-common-mercurial-commands
http://rg03.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/mercurial-vs-git/
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Git_%28software%29_vs_Mercurial_%28software%29

but bear in mind that arguments against either git or hg may have
disappeared with more recent versions.  You really need to try both...

-- Alex Schuilenburg

* [ECOS] Switching to using git on eCosForge
@ 2009-09-17 10:52 Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2009-09-17 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Disuss

Does anyone know a reason not to switch to git for eCosForge?

My thinking is to use http://repo.or.cz/ to host projects.

www.ecosforge.net uses a version of subversion that is getting
a bit long in the tooth (1.4) and I'm just wondering if
git isn't a better choice anyway....

The plan is to leave the current subversion repository as-is and
let migration happen  eventually, deleting old repositories(they
are still there in the history) after migration to git.

The idea is to have one git repository per eCos repository(or
project if you will).

The first project I would like to switch to git, is nios2ecos.

--
Øyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services