* [ECOS] Running ECOS on AT91SAM7X-EK
@ 2009-09-30  9:06 Mandeep Sandhu
From: Mandeep Sandhu @ 2009-09-30  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

I'm going to run ECOS on my AT91SAM7X-EK eval board.

Any tips/pointers on how to go about running ECOS/sample app on the board?

As a start, I'd like to test out the serial port, i.e, run some app
that writes to the serial port and verify the output on the other end.
As this board is available in the templates, I plan to build the
sample serial.c example code against this target and run it. Also,
should I use EABI or will ELF do as well?

Any other precautions or things to be taken care of?

Thanks,
-mandeep

* [ECOS] Re: Running ECOS on AT91SAM7X-EK
@ 2009-10-01  8:32 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-10-01  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mandeep Sandhu; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Hi Mandeep

Mandeep Sandhu wrote:

> I'm going to run ECOS on my AT91SAM7X-EK eval board.
>
> Any tips/pointers on how to go about running ECOS/sample app on the board?

This board has only 64kB RAM. While it should be possible to install GDB
stubs, using a JTAG debugger for code download and execution will leave
you with more free RAM to experiment with.

> As a start, I'd like to test out the serial port, i.e, run some app
> that writes to the serial port and verify the output on the other end.
> As this board is available in the templates, I plan to build the
> sample serial.c example code against this target and run it.

The serial.c example code should work, but the serial tests in
CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL will provide better verification of serial I/O. Make
sure that you set CYGPRI_SER_TEST_SER_DEV appropriately and that you're
running the ser_filter host tool at the other end of the serial link.

If a particular test does not fit into RAM, you will see a linker error.
You will then need to configure with CYG_HAL_STARTUP == "ROM" and write
the test to Flash for execution on board reset.

> Also, should I use EABI or will ELF do as well?

It would be preferable to use the arm-eabi toolchain if only because it
is likely to produce better optimised code than the older arm-elf toolchain.

I hope this helps...

John Dallaway