* [ECOS] Running eCos from PLCC EEPROM?
@ 2010-04-07  1:10 Daniel Clark
From: Daniel Clark @ 2010-04-07  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko

Has anyone looked at loading eCos from PLCC EEPROM (from a boot loader
such as GRUB2)?

1MB+ PLCC chips are now pretty cheap, and based on my research it
seems like a useable eCos install can be considerably smaller than
that.

My particular interest is that GRUB2 is now booting directly from PLCC
on the Lemote Yeeloong [1] a MIPS64 compatible netbook. However many
useful features such as support for the rtl8187b network card in the
Yeeloong are in development and may not be stable for some time; if an
option could be to boot to eCos from the same PLCC chip that GRUB2 is
installed to, that would make for a really flexible system for doing
whatever with the system from that point on (eg much more so than
PXE).

[1] GRUB as firmware available for Yeeloong
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2010-04/msg00050.html

Cheers,
--
Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark | Activist; Owner
           \|/

* [ECOS] Re: Running eCos from PLCC EEPROM?
@ 2010-04-07  9:54 ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2010-04-07  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clark; +Cc: ecos-discuss