* [ECOS] CVS import Question
@ 2010-05-27 10:20 Jay Foster
From: Jay Foster @ 2010-05-27 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I have a general CVS question pertaining to importing 3rd party modules
on vendor branches.  I've looked through the CVS manual, but it does not
discuss my issue.

When I import an update to a 3rd party module onto it's vendor branch,
what happens to files that are no longer in the updated file set?  The
CVS manual mentions that cvs import will report 'U' for existing files
that have not been locally modified, 'N' for new files, and 'C' for
existing files that have been locally modified.  It fails to mention
what CVS does for files that are no longer in the update file set.  Are
they removed to the atic?  Do I have to manually make note of any such
files and manually remove them myself?

Jay

* Re: [ECOS] CVS import Question
@ 2010-05-27 19:17 ` Ross Younger
From: Ross Younger @ 2010-05-27 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Jay Foster wrote:
> I have a general CVS question pertaining to importing 3rd party modules
> on vendor branches.  I've looked through the CVS manual, but it does not
> discuss my issue.

Unfortunately, the semantics of CVS vendor branches are not very well
defined and the answer may well turn out to be "read the source". The
general rule seems to be that revisions on the vendor branch magically trump
revisions on the trunk - except when they don't. (A colleague at a past
workplace declared that vendor branches were never the right answer for
anything.) Without wishing to provoke a flamewar, if you can switch to
mercurial or git you are likely to have a much less stressful time...

Ross

--
Embedded Software Engineer, eCosCentric Limited.
Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive, Cambridge CB5 8UU, UK.