From: gmail <jjdebarros@gmail.com>
To: John Dallaway <john@dallaway.org.uk>
Cc: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: [ECOS] Re: eCos 3.0 and TS2750
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 18:31:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 8/3/2011 12:38 AM, John Dallaway wrote:
> JJ
>
> gmail wrote:
>
>> I think that I am making progress as at least I've been able to build
>> the library and the tests.
>>
>> Though I am not able to load the tests either via the 'Run Tests' or the
>> Redboot 'load' command.
>>
>> The 'load' command appears to indicate that the file is not linked
>> correctly as I get the error message:
>>
>>      Abort! Attempt to load ELF data to address: 0x00008000 which is not
>> in RAM.
>>
>> I've tried configuring the Startup type: to RAM but I get a build error
>> that the mlt_arm_arm9_ts7250_ram.ldi does not exist.
>>
>> I am trying build  and load via the Redboot monitor, is this the right
>> method for building for that scenario?
> I have not looked at the sources, but you would generally build eCos for
> RAM startup if you wish to download to RAM via the RedBoot "load"
> command or RedBoot's GDB stub. It would appear that the TS7250 RedBoot
> port does not include a linker script for RAM startup, hence the build
> error. Perhaps the TS7250 RedBoot port was developed primarily for
> launching non-eCos executables?
>
> Compare your TS7250 platform HAL package with other platform HAL
> packages to see how mlt_arm_arm9_ts7250_ram.ldi and
> mlt_arm_arm9_ts7250_ram.h could be implemented. These files are usually
> located in the include/pkgconf/ directory of the various eCos platform
> HAL packages.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> John Dallaway
> eCos maintainer
> http://www.dallaway.org.uk/john

I did implement a mlt_arm_arm9_ts7250_ram.ldi and .h file but it still
looks like all of the test programs are getting linked at the 0x8000
starting point.

Running the arm-eabi-size program on one of the test programs (i.e.
bin_sem0) yields:

bin_sem0  :
section              size      addr
.debug_aranges     0x2318       0x0
.debug_pubnames    0x73b0       0x0
.debug_info       0x469e8       0x0
.debug_abbrev      0x92be       0x0
.debug_line        0xa811       0x0
.debug_frame       0x7d1c       0x0
.debug_str         0x873b       0x0
.debug_loc         0xa020       0x0
.fixed_vectors      0x140      0x20
.rom_vectors         0x40    0x8000
.text              0xc824    0x9000
.rodata             0x3cc   0x15824
.data               0x434   0x15bf0
.bss               0x42b0   0x16024
.ARM.attributes      0x2c       0x0
.debug_ranges      0x2180       0x0
.comment            0x8f7       0x0
Total             0x91eed

Looking at the tree in the configtool, this base appears to come from
the 'Configuration | Redboot for ARM options | Provides the exec command
in RedBoot | Default physical base address of linux kernel'.

The property info for this value indicates: "This is the physical
address of the base of the Linux kernel image. This option gets set by
the platform CDL."

I guess at this point I am totally confused as to how to change this, or
if I am on the right path.

All I am trying to do is build an executable that can be loaded via the
onboard RedBoot.

"Clueless at this point"

Thanks for any pointers!

--JJ--