* [ECOS] Debugging of eCos Kernel via Redboot ETH
@ 2012-01-02 12:38 Martin Laabs
From: Martin Laabs @ 2012-01-02 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos discuss

Hello,

I'd like to use Redboot as GDB Stub via Ethernet. This is up and running.
Now I would like to load a eCos Application (with Kernel support) into the
RAM and debug this via the GDB Stub in Redboot. (Just running by typing
continue works.)
Is this possible? Because the eCos Application might interfere with the
Redboot ethernet driver which is in polling mode only.
For the serial link there is an interrupt handler that call the GDB Stub in
rRdboot when receiving a SRTG-C. Is there such a interrupt handler also for
the Ethernet link? Do I need Ethernet support also in the Application or
will this interfere when using the Ethernet Link with Redboot?

Thank you,
  Martin Laabs

* [ECOS] Re: Debugging of eCos Kernel via Redboot ETH
@ 2012-01-03  8:44 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2012-01-03  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Laabs; +Cc: ecos discuss

Hi Martin

Martin Laabs wrote:

> I'd like to use Redboot as GDB Stub via Ethernet. This is up and
> running. Now I would like to load a eCos Application (with Kernel
> support) into the RAM and debug this via the GDB Stub in Redboot. (Just
> running by typing continue works.)
> Is this possible? Because the eCos Application might interfere with the
> Redboot ethernet driver which is in polling mode only.

[ I assume your hardware has only one ethernet port ]

This is possible and well tested with the eCos FreeBSD stack but less
robust than using a separate (polled mode) debug channel. The eCos
ethernet driver takes over from the RedBoot ethernet driver when the
eCos application is started. RedBoot and eCos application TCP/IP traffic
is multiplexed over a single ethernet port and the TCP/IP stacks must be
configured with different IP addresses to allow for demultiplexing. It
is therefore not possible to use DHCP with both stacks. At least one of
the stacks must have a statically allocated IP address.

> For the serial link there is an interrupt handler that call the GDB Stub
> in rRdboot when receiving a SRTG-C. Is there such a interrupt handler
> also for the Ethernet link?

Yes, you can issue a Ctrl-C from the host over the ethernet debug channel.

> Do I need Ethernet support also in the
> Application or will this interfere when using the Ethernet Link with
> Redboot?

With the FreeBSD stack you can debug an eCos networking application over
ethernet, but you will need to avoid setting breakpoints and/or
single-stepping within the ethernet driver code that is shared between
the two IP stacks.

I hope this helps.

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer