From: John Dallaway <john@dallaway.org.uk>
To: Christopher Biessener <christopherpb@voomtech.com>
Cc: eCos Discussion <ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org>
Subject: [ECOS] Re: migration from win2k to win7
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 08:21:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi Christopher

On 28/02/13 18:25, Christopher Biessener wrote:

> I am new to embedded systems and got handed the task of migrating our
> build environment from win2k to win7.
> In win2k they are using Cygwin 1.3 / eCos 1.3.1 / gcc 2.95 toolchain.

[ snip ]

> The arm-elf 2.95 toolchain will not install in win7, so I began
> upgrading stuff.

First of all, can you explain what you mean by "The arm-elf 2.95
toolchain will not install in win7"? Is there an error during the
toolchain installation process or does the toolchain not execute under
Cygwin 1.7.x? What error message are you observing?

Assuming that the toolchain does not execute, and given your objective
of minimising change, I would suggest attempting to build the arm-elf
2.95 toolchain under Cygwin 1.7.x. That would deliver generated eCos
application code identical to what you have been generating under Win2k.
The (very old) instructions for building the arm-elf 2.95 toolchain for
eCos under Cygwin are at:

  http://ecos.sourceware.org/tools/win-arm-elf.html

If you attempt to use a much more recent arm-elf toolchain to built eCos
1.3.1 sources, you will find quite a number of source code issues to
work through.

I hope this helps...

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer