* [ECOS] How to read ecos docs given in sgml-format
@ 2014-01-15 17:59 Bob Brusa
From: Bob Brusa @ 2014-01-15 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos discuss

Hi,
the make pdfa4 command that should generate pdfs from sgml when launched
in ..opt/ecos/doc/sgml/user-guide produces a long list of errors only.
Here is an excerpt:

jade:introduction.sgml:154:19:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:156:5:E: element "PARA" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:156:18:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:159:20:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:161:5:E: element "PARA" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:161:18:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:172:22:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:176:13:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:177:35:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:180:13:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:181:20:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:182:9:E: there is no attribute "LINKEND"
jade:introduction.sgml:182:25:E: element "XREF" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:184:5:E: element "PARA" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:185:13:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:191:13:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined
jade:introduction.sgml:193:13:E: element "PRODUCTNAME" undefined

and finally it outputs:

jade -o ecos-user-guide-a4.tex -t tex -V tex-backend  -d
../../../packages/pkgconf/ssa4.dsl#print user-guide.sgml
../../../packages/pkgconf/rules.doc:143: recipe for target
'ecos-user-guide-a4.pdf' failed

I could not find an alternative to the above (mean - converting sgml to
a pdf - sgml in a text editor or browser is ugly). It seems, no
reasonable reader exists for the sgml format. This lets me wunder why
the documentation is presented in this now arcane format. Why not
include these files as open data text (odt) as used by e. g. OpenOffice?

Well, back to the problem: Has anybody a hint why the sgml to pdf fails?
Thanks and best regards,
Robert

* Re: [ECOS] How to read ecos docs given in sgml-format
@ 2014-01-15 19:09 ` Sergei Gavrikov
From: Sergei Gavrikov @ 2014-01-15 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Brusa; +Cc: ecos discuss

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Bob Brusa wrote:

> Hi,
> the make pdfa4 command that should generate pdfs from sgml when

Hi Bob,

Check first, Do you able to get eCos documentation in HTML format?
(minimal requirements: jade, docbook, docbook-dsssl). Chdir in R/W
directory and type

  sh $ECOS_REPOSITORY/../doc/sgml/makemakefile
  make html

To get PDF outputs you have to install `jadetex' and its dependencies.

> I could not find an alternative to the above (mean - converting sgml
> to a pdf - sgml in a text editor or browser is ugly). It seems, no
> reasonable reader exists for the sgml format. This lets me wunder why
> the documentation is presented in this now arcane format. Why not
> include these files as open data text (odt) as used by e. g.
> OpenOffice?

I do not think that is good idea to distribute official documentation in
any editable form. More on that, every eCos documentation file warn you

  Distribution of substantively modified versions of this document is
  prohibited without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.

  Distribution of the work or derivative of the work in any standard
  (paper) book form is prohibited unless prior permission is obtained
  from the copyright holder.

Of course, if you can get HTML, then you would lanch <set>Office, open
any html file and save it in desired format. You would use CL tools to
convert HTML in other texts or blobs using some of the converters, but
read above.

> Well, back to the problem: Has anybody a hint why the sgml to pdf
> fails?  Thanks and best regards,

Never try to get eCos PDF on Cygwin. But, I have no problem with PDF
generation under Linux (some not every hour updated release :-) with
jadetex.

HTH

Sergei

* Re: [ECOS] How to read ecos docs given in sgml-format
@ 2014-01-20 11:29 ` "Ilija Kocho [Илија Кочо]"
From: "Ilija Kocho [Илија Кочо]" @ 2014-01-20 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bob.brusa, ecos discuss

Hi Bob

I have a little comment on your remark regarding SGML format used by
eCos documentation (AKA DocBook).

On 15.01.2014 18:59, Bob Brusa wrote:

> I could not find an alternative to the above (mean - converting sgml
> to a pdf - sgml in a text editor or browser is ugly). It seems, no
> reasonable reader exists for the sgml format. This lets me wunder why
> the documentation is presented in this now arcane format. Why not
> include these files as open data text (odt) as used by e. g. OpenOffice?

It may look arcane to you, but it's widely used ref: http://docbook.org
(though it would have been better if it was XML version).
I would encourage you to try editing some eCos doc page (or even produce
your own). It's not so hard, and you'll see the first advantage vs some
kind of Office - you can use your favourite text editor. Other advantage
is ability for versioning with common version control system. You'll
discover more once you try it.

Regards

Ilija