* [ECOS] Problem of coldboot on i.MX27 board with Micron NAND
@ 2014-03-18 14:56 Gaëtan Carlier
From: Gaëtan Carlier @ 2014-03-18 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,
I have a problem with redboot (release 20050912) with Freescale patches
for i.MX27 PDK (3-stack) and seems to be related to NAND chip (all other
components are identical).
When I power on the board, nothing happened on serial console but when I
press reset button (or if I reset board using JTAG, to board boot properly.

With NAND Numonyx NAND02G-B2D, it works well on power on but with Micron
MT29F2G08ABBEAH4, coldboot does not work, I have to press RESET button.

The specs seem to be similar. The only difference is a device
initialization for Micron that says that host must wait 100us after VCC
is applied before sending Reset (FFh) command.
Where have I to place the wait loop ?
At the beginning of In PLATFORM_SETUP1 macro (.macro _platform_setup1)
in hal_platform_setup.h or anywhere else ?

Test is done on boards with i.MX27 CPUs that have different revision
(200951, 201209). And I know that newer revison (starting from 2012) can
freeze at boot due to bug in PLL circuit.
Do you have any other leads for me ?

Thank you for your help.

Gaëtan Carlier.

ps : Of course, I have tried MT29 NAND on several board (that works with
NAND02G chip) but same result.

* Re: [ECOS] Problem of coldboot on i.MX27 board with Micron NAND
@ 2014-03-19  8:48 ` Eric Bénard
From: Eric Bénard @ 2014-03-19  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaëtan Carlier; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Gaëtan,

Le Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:55:54 +0100,
Gaëtan Carlier <gcembed@gmail.com> a écrit :
> I have a problem with redboot (release 20050912) with Freescale patches
> for i.MX27 PDK (3-stack) and seems to be related to NAND chip (all other
> components are identical).
> When I power on the board, nothing happened on serial console but when I
> press reset button (or if I reset board using JTAG, to board boot properly.
>
> With NAND Numonyx NAND02G-B2D, it works well on power on but with Micron
> MT29F2G08ABBEAH4, coldboot does not work, I have to press RESET button.
>
> The specs seem to be similar. The only difference is a device
> initialization for Micron that says that host must wait 100us after VCC
> is applied before sending Reset (FFh) command.
> Where have I to place the wait loop ?
> At the beginning of In PLATFORM_SETUP1 macro (.macro _platform_setup1)
> in hal_platform_setup.h or anywhere else ?
>
> Test is done on boards with i.MX27 CPUs that have different revision
> (200951, 201209). And I know that newer revison (starting from 2012) can
> freeze at boot due to bug in PLL circuit.
> Do you have any other leads for me ?

Micron NAND need a reset command at boot and i.MX27's BootROM doesn't
send it when using external boot.
See the note in page 5 of this AN :
cache.freescale.com/files/dsp/doc/app_note/AN3672.pdf

Internal NAND boot seems to works based on this thread (not tested
here) : https://community.freescale.com/thread/285717

Eric

* Re: [ECOS] Problem of coldboot on i.MX27 board with Micron NAND
@ 2014-03-19 14:44   ` Gaëtan Carlier
From: Gaëtan Carlier @ 2014-03-19 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bénard; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Eric,
On 03/19/2014 09:47 AM, Eric Bénard wrote:
> Hi Gaëtan,
>
> Le Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:55:54 +0100,
> Gaëtan Carlier <gcembed@gmail.com> a écrit :
>> I have a problem with redboot (release 20050912) with Freescale patches
>> for i.MX27 PDK (3-stack) and seems to be related to NAND chip (all other
>> components are identical).
>> When I power on the board, nothing happened on serial console but when I
>> press reset button (or if I reset board using JTAG, to board boot properly.
>>
>> With NAND Numonyx NAND02G-B2D, it works well on power on but with Micron
>> MT29F2G08ABBEAH4, coldboot does not work, I have to press RESET button.
>>
>> The specs seem to be similar. The only difference is a device
>> initialization for Micron that says that host must wait 100us after VCC
>> is applied before sending Reset (FFh) command.
>> Where have I to place the wait loop ?
>> At the beginning of In PLATFORM_SETUP1 macro (.macro _platform_setup1)
>> in hal_platform_setup.h or anywhere else ?
>>
>> Test is done on boards with i.MX27 CPUs that have different revision
>> (200951, 201209). And I know that newer revison (starting from 2012) can
>> freeze at boot due to bug in PLL circuit.
>> Do you have any other leads for me ?
>>
> Micron NAND need a reset command at boot and i.MX27's BootROM doesn't
> send it when using external boot.
> See the note in page 5 of this AN :
> cache.freescale.com/files/dsp/doc/app_note/AN3672.pdf
>
> Internal NAND boot seems to works based on this thread (not tested
> here) : https://community.freescale.com/thread/285717

So it is not possible to boot correctly on external Micron NAND flash
using i.MX27 ?!
> Eric

Thank you for your help,
Gaëtan Carlier.