* [ECOS] NTP not working when no NTP server available at startup
@ 2014-06-27  6:36 Lambrecht Jürgen
From: Lambrecht Jürgen @ 2014-06-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos

Hi,

we have the problem that NTP is not working when there is no ntp server
available at startup.

However this is what I read on the ecos pages
(http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-3.0/ref/net-sntp-operation.html)

"If SNTP unicast mode is enabled via the CYGPKG_NET_SNTP_UNICAST option,
the SNTP client can additionally be configured with a list of specific
NTP servers to query. The general algorithm is as follows: if the system
clock has not yet been set via an NTP time update, then the client will
send out NTP requests every 30 seconds to all configured NTP servers.
Once an NTP time update has been received, the client will send out
additional NTP requests every 30 minutes in order to update the system
clock. These requests are resent every 30 seconds until a response is
received."

We use a list of NTP servers, but we don't see the 30s repeat when a
server does not answer.

Should this work?

Thanks for any answer,
Jürgen

--
Jürgen Lambrecht
R&D Associate

* Re: [ECOS] NTP not working when no NTP server available at startup
@ 2014-07-28  9:27 ` Lambrecht Jürgen
From: Lambrecht Jürgen @ 2014-07-28  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

this item has been fixed in the application:
the list of NTP servers must be static, because it is used by eCos..
This is even mentioned in the documentation, but still the application
engineer was convinced it was an eCos bug that I had to fix. Finally I
fixed his application...

Kind regards,
Jürgen

On 06/27/2014 08:36 AM, Lambrecht Jürgen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have the problem that NTP is not working when there is no ntp server
> available at startup.
>
> However this is what I read on the ecos pages
> (http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-3.0/ref/net-sntp-operation.html)
>
> "If SNTP unicast mode is enabled via the CYGPKG_NET_SNTP_UNICAST option,
> the SNTP client can additionally be configured with a list of specific
> NTP servers to query. The general algorithm is as follows: if the system
> clock has not yet been set via an NTP time update, then the client will
> send out NTP requests every 30 seconds to all configured NTP servers.
> Once an NTP time update has been received, the client will send out
> additional NTP requests every 30 minutes in order to update the system
> clock. These requests are resent every 30 seconds until a response is
> received."
>
> We use a list of NTP servers, but we don't see the 30s repeat when a
FYI: we made the repeat time shorter than the eCos default