* AW: [ECOS] Splitting the eCos repository
@ 2006-08-11 14:54 Neundorf, Alexander
From: Neundorf, Alexander @ 2006-08-11 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Øyvind Harboe; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Von: ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org
>
> How about splitting the eCos repository?
>
> - It would help to market the support for multiple repositories. I've
> seen a lot of messy maintainence due to the lack of this knowledge.
> - It would reduce the size of the eCos repository that 90% use.
>
> Something like:
>
> - eCos core. Up to and including architecture HAL's
> - eCos devboard. Contains all the HAL's for development boards.
> - eCos highlevel/net. All high level(many files) stuff like net,
> microwindows, etc. goes
> - eCos legacy.
>
> 1 eCos repository is too little, 10 is too many. :-)
>
> The user would then have to either use a development board HAL as-is
> or create his own eCos repository, probably duplicating & modifying an
> existing HAL.

I'd say not before configtool supports it.
But it would also make creating a public "experimental" repository possible (e.g. on sourceforge) for stuff which didn't make it yet into the main repository.

Alex

* Re: [ECOS] Splitting the eCos repository
@ 2006-08-11 15:01 ` Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2006-08-11 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neundorf, Alexander; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> I'd say not before configtool supports it.
> But it would also make creating a public "experimental" repository possible
> (e.g. on sourceforge) for stuff which didn't make it yet into the main repository.

I'm starting to think that the configtool is doing non-trivial damage to eCos.

There is with eCos a certain necessary level of complexity that the
developer sidesteps when using this tool + it causes problems with the
limited amount of maintenance that this tool receives.

Just a thought....

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com

* [ECOS] Re: Splitting the eCos repository
@ 2006-08-11 16:08   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2006-08-11 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

In gmane.os.ecos.general, you wrote:

>> I'd say not before configtool supports it. But it would also
>> make creating a public "experimental" repository possible
>> (e.g. on sourceforge) for stuff which didn't make it yet into
>> the main repository.
>
> I'm starting to think that the configtool is doing non-trivial
> damage to eCos.

Besides, configtool makes it all look too easy.  ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I
                                  at               feel... JUGULAR...