* AW: [ECOS] Re: eCos on 80186?
@ 2004-06-24 12:12 Neundorf, Alexander
From: Neundorf, Alexander @ 2004-06-24 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregg C Levine, eCos Discuss

Maybe you could check out which compiler is used by the ELKS project: http://elks.sourceforge.net/
This is intended to run a linux-like kernel on 80x86 with x<3

Alex

* Re: [ECOS] Re: eCos on 80186?
@ 2004-06-24 14:26 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2004-06-24 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neundorf, Alexander; +Cc: Gregg C Levine, eCos Discuss

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 02:12:17PM +0200, Neundorf, Alexander wrote:

>> What about using the tools for 16 bit arches from DJ Delorie?
>> Oh he claims they are basically unsupported, I don't know if
>> they won't work.
>
> Maybe you could check out which compiler is used by the ELKS
> project: http://elks.sourceforge.net/ This is intended to run
> a linux-like kernel on 80x86 with x<3

ELKS uses the bcc compiler and ld86 linker from the dev86
package.  Googling for "dev86 bcc" should provide more info.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] Re: eCos on 80186?
@ 2004-06-25  5:19   ` Mark Grosberg
From: Mark Grosberg @ 2004-06-25  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discuss

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Grant Edwards wrote:

> ELKS uses the bcc compiler and ld86 linker from the dev86
> package.  Googling for "dev86 bcc" should provide more info.

What about the OpenWatcom compiler; the commercial Watcom compiler has
gone open source. It produces 16-bit as well as 32-bit code. Also, like
GCC it is quite flexible for use in embedded development (albeit,
incompatibly). See http://www.openwatcom.org/ for more info.

The compiler targets several architectures as well as generating excellent
code (sometimes better than GCC, sometimes worse). It might be interesting
to try and port eCos to to it.

OpenWatcom can also generate code for Alpha (not maintained?) and PPC, I
think some other architectures may be in there as well (even IBM 370,
IIRC).

Cheers,
Mark G.

* AW: [ECOS] Re: eCos on 80186?
@ 2004-06-24  6:49 Neundorf, Alexander
From: Neundorf, Alexander @ 2004-06-24  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Gray, eCos Discuss

> Borland had their own version of make, and from what I
> remember (from my own
> 80186 days) it was pretty restricted even compared to
> standard un*x version
> of make back then. It wouldn't have a snowflake in hell's
> chance of running a

Why not use cygwins make calling the borland c compiler ?

Bye
Alex