* [ECOS] synthetic-target-error
@ 2002-07-22  5:40 arun%anwsi.com
From: arun%anwsi.com @ 2002-07-22  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: grante

hello friends

i tried to compile ecos for linux-synthetic targets

for that i followed the steps given for building binutils,gcc& gdb

1) but after building and making these

i checked the output in "/tools/H-i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin"

but i found only i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc  and i didn't find

i686-pc-linux-gnu-ar
i686-pc-linux-gnu-as
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gdb
i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++

instead i find only   ar,as ,g++,gdb  there is no "i686-pc-linux-" in the
front

what may be the error?

can u plz suggest me

thanks in advance
arun

* Re: [ECOS] synthetic-target-error
@ 2002-07-29 16:22 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2002-07-29 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arun; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Arun> hello friends i tried to compile ecos for linux-synthetic
    Arun> targets

    Arun> for that i followed the steps given for building
    Arun> binutils,gcc& gdb

Those instructions are out of date for the current version of the
synthetic target, i.e. anoncvs. From the current documentation:

  When developing eCos applications for a normal embedded target it is
  necessary to use a suitable cross-compiler and related tools such as
  the linker. Developing for the synthetic target is easier because
  you can just use the standard GNU tools (gcc, g++, ld, ...) which
  were provided with your Linux distribution, or which you used to
  build your own Linux setup. Any reasonably recent version of the
  tools, for example gcc 2.96(Red Hat) as shipped with Red Hat Linux
  7, should be sufficient.

Building special tools is only necessary if for some strange reason
you wanted to do cross-development of synthetic target code, e.g.
build it on a Windows machine and then run the resulting application
on a Linux box. The CDL scripts for the synthetic target detect
whether or not you are developing on a Linux box: if you are then by
default everything gets built using the system-supplied tools such as
gcc; otherwise you are cross-compiling and everything gets built using
i686-pc-linux-gnu versions of the tools.

Bart

* Re: [ECOS] synthetic-target-error
@ 2002-07-22 22:25 ` NavEcos
From: NavEcos @ 2002-07-22 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arun%anwsi.com, ecos-discuss

I'm not sure this is related to your particular problems, but I do
know that if you forget to use this switch:

--target=i386-elf

with "configure" that will happen.

(Refer to: http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/linux-i386-elf.html)

I just did a rebuilt the gnu tools today, so I do know it works.

Anyhow: I think for a SYNTHETIC target it doesn't really matter.  In
fact, I think that used the gcc, gdb, etc that I had on my Linux box
when I first tried the synthetic target 9 months ago or so.  Things
may have changed since then.

-Rich

@ 2002-07-22 20:39 arun%anwsi.com
From: arun%anwsi.com @ 2002-07-22 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)