* Re: [ECOS] TCP/IP stacks
       [not found] <38AA49D4.F51B8E89@berger.to>
@ 2000-02-18 14:07 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2000-02-18 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cedric Berger; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On 16-Feb-00 Cedric Berger wrote:
>> We are indeed working on networking support for eCos.  We will be
>> announcing a complete TCP/IP stack and support libraries, based on
>> the current OpenBSD implementation, within the next few weeks.
>>
>> The networking support will be distributed as an optional package and,
>> like all of eCos, will be completely Open Source and royalty free.
>
> Will it be "Open Source" with a BSD or GNU license?

All supported files in eCos are covered by the RHEPL (Red Hat eCos
Public License) which is more like BSD than GNU.

Those files which came from a BSD distribution will similarly be
distributed under the RHEPL which is a true Open Source license.

* Re: [ECOS] TCP/IP stacks
@ 2000-02-22 11:29   ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 2000-02-22 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Cedric Berger, eCos Discussion

    Gary> All supported files in eCos are covered by the RHEPL (Red
    Gary> Hat eCos Public License) which is more like BSD than GNU.

    Gary> Those files which came from a BSD distribution will
    Gary> similarly be distributed under the RHEPL which is a true
    Gary> Open Source license.

Sadly it is true open source but not compatible with the GPL.  This
means that you cannot put GPLed code in your embedded product and
distribute it without a special licensing arrangement from Red Hat.

Gary, has Red Hat changed the license to have the exception that
Stallman recommended way back and Cygnus did not put in?

* Re: [ECOS] TCP/IP stacks
@ 2000-02-15 13:46     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2000-02-15 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 15-Feb-00 Grant Edwards wrote:
>> We are indeed working on networking support for eCos.  We will be
>> announcing a complete TCP/IP stack and support libraries, based on
>> the current OpenBSD implementation, within the next few weeks.
>
> Great!  Will the stack be available then, or is that just an
> announcement?

The complete package will be available as a "beta" at that time.
Of course the sooner we get it into the hands of the hungry crowd,
the sooner we'll get feedback and be able to produce the "release"
product (or so the CW goes).

* Re: [ECOS] TCP/IP stacks
@ 2000-02-15 13:18   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2000-02-15 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 10:31:36AM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:

> > In the near future, I'll be in need of a TCP/IP stack for eCos
> > running on an ARM7.
> >
> > Something open-source would, of course, be best.
> >
> > I spent a little time yesterday looking at Tristan's port of
> > the RTEMS stack.

[...]

> We are indeed working on networking support for eCos.  We will be
> announcing a complete TCP/IP stack and support libraries, based on
> the current OpenBSD implementation, within the next few weeks.

Great!  Will the stack be available then, or is that just an
announcement?

> The networking support will be distributed as an optional package and,
> like all of eCos, will be completely Open Source and royalty free.
> This package exists at roughly the same "level" as the current
> serial I/O package, with it's own device driver interfaces.
>
> The device drivers themselves are written using an API which
> allows them to potentially be reused by other networking
> packages, not just the one being developed internally.

Any possibility of a peek at the device driver API so that I
can get a head start on the driver for my Ethernet controller?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* RE: [ECOS] TCP/IP stacks
@ 2000-02-15  9:31 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2000-02-15  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 15-Feb-00 Grant Edwards wrote:

> In the near future, I'll be in need of a TCP/IP stack for eCos
> running on an ARM7.
>
> Something open-source would, of course, be best.
>
> I spent a little time yesterday looking at Tristan's port of
> the RTEMS stack.  Any ideas on how much memory it requires? I
> haven't yet figured out where to hook the ehternet driver --
> does it sit on top of an eCos device like the tty driver does
> on top of a serial driver?.
>
> I know there are a couple commercial stacks available, but I
> need something that can be re-distributed. Are there any other
> open-source stacks available?
>
> --
> Grant Edwards
> grante@visi.com

We are indeed working on networking support for eCos.  We will be
announcing a complete TCP/IP stack and support libraries, based on
the current OpenBSD implementation, within the next few weeks.

The networking support will be distributed as an optional package and,
like all of eCos, will be completely Open Source and royalty free.
This package exists at roughly the same "level" as the current
serial I/O package, with it's own device driver interfaces.  The
device drivers themselves are written using an API which allows them
to potentially be reused by other networking packages, not just
the one being developed internally.

FYI - The initial development is being done using currently supported
ARM7 and PowerPC platforms, so you should be off and running as soon
as the stack is released.

* [ECOS] TCP/IP stacks
@ 2000-02-15  7:47 Grant Edwards