* [ECOS] Building from OS X
@ 2003-11-10 20:28 Rib Rdb
From: Rib Rdb @ 2003-11-10 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Since the configuration tool won't build on OS X, would it work to
configure and build eCos on a windows machine, then copy the libraries
and headers to a Mac OS X machine and do the development there with the
appropriate cross compilers?  Also, would the version of gcc, etc used
on the Mac have to be the same as on the Windows computer?

* Re: [ECOS] Building from OS X
@ 2003-11-10 20:34 ` Gary Thomas
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-11-10 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rib Rdb; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 13:28, Rib Rdb wrote:
> Since the configuration tool won't build on OS X, would it work to
> configure and build eCos on a windows machine, then copy the libraries
> and headers to a Mac OS X machine and do the development there with the
> appropriate cross compilers?  Also, would the version of gcc, etc used
> on the Mac have to be the same as on the Windows computer?

Or, just use 'ecosconfig' on your Mac! which surely will build.

There's no reason you absolutely have to use the Config Tool.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@chez-thomas.org>

* [ECOS] Deciphering ISO C (Chap 6.3.2.3 - Pointers)
@ 2003-11-10 22:00   ` Philip Soeberg
       [not found]   ` <E1AJK5Y-0004tk-00@londo.lunn.ch>
From: Philip Soeberg @ 2003-11-10 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I'm having weird difficulties with the flash_am29xxxxx.inl file, whereas I
have created this cut-down version of what appears to be my problem:

-------------

The code-example further down was created from analyzing line 216-217 in
file flash_am29xxxxx.inl:
	ROM = (flash_data_t*) CYGNUM_FLASH_BASE;
	f_s1 = FLASH_P2V(ROM+FLASH_Setup_Addr1);

Resulting output after preprocessing is:
    ROM = (flash_data_t*) (0x00000000u);
    f_s1 = ((volatile flash_data_t *) \
		((CYG_ADDRWORD)((CYG_ADDRESS)ROM+(0x555))));

The value in f_s1 must be 0x555 for the AMD chip to work in word mode (as
far as I have read) ... but "diag_printf("%x", f_s1)" yields 0xAAA :(

-------------

I can't seem to find the logic in why this example doesn’t work:

	cyg_uint16* res_16;
	cyg_uint16* p_16;
	cyg_uint16 u_16;

	p_16 = 0x0u;
	u_16 = 0x0u;
	res_16 = (p_16 + 0x555u);

The above code yields res_16 == 0xaaa
I was sort of hoping for 0x555 instead...

Altering the addition line to this:
	res_16 = (cyg_uint16*)(u_16 + 0x555);
corrects the problem...

why?

The platform is a 32bit.
Trying to decipher the first addition, I get:
	32bit_u = (32bit_u + 32bit_u)
assuming that the pointer “cyg_uint16 *” is 32bit...

-------------

I hope one of you can shed some light to this problem of mine :)

Regards,
-=[ Philip Soeberg ]=-

* Re: [ECOS] Deciphering ISO C (Chap 6.3.2.3 - Pointers)
       [not found]   ` <E1AJK5Y-0004tk-00@londo.lunn.ch>
@ 2003-11-10 22:16     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-10 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Soeberg; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> 	cyg_uint16* res_16;
> 	cyg_uint16* p_16;
> 	cyg_uint16 u_16;
>
> 	p_16 = 0x0u;
> 	u_16 = 0x0u;'
> 	res_16 = (p_16 + 0x555u);
>
> The above code yields res_16 == 0xaaa
> I was sort of hoping for 0x555 instead...

> Altering the addition line to this:
> 	res_16 = (cyg_uint16*)(u_16 + 0x555);
> corrects the problem...
>
> why?

Pointer arithmetic. Take the following example bits of code....(which probably has many syntax errors etc)

char foo[4]="bar";
char foo1[4];

int  a[]={0,1,2,3};
int  a1[3];

for (i = 0; i < 3; i++)
{
  char * pfoo = &foo;
  char * pa = & foo1;

  *(pfoo+i) = pfoo[i];
  *(pa+i) = a[i];
}

Its a contrived way of copying foo into foo1 and a into a1.

You want *(pfoo+i) to be byte by byte since you are copying characters, but
you want *(pa+i) to be word by word since its copying ints.

In
 	res_16 = (p_16 + 0x555u);

p_16 is of type cyg_uint16 *, so you are adding 0x555 16bit words, ie 0xaaa.

With
        res_16 = (cyg_uint16*)(u_16 + 0x555);

u_16 is a plain cyg_uint16, so its not pointer arithmetic, its normal
arithmetic which you then cast to a pointer afterwards.

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Building from OS X
       [not found]   ` <E1AJK5Y-0004tk-00@londo.lunn.ch>
@ 2003-11-11  0:27   ` Rib Rdb
From: Rib Rdb @ 2003-11-11  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

What would be the proper way to build it.  Configure complains about an
unknown host type unless I lie and say --host=powerpc-apple-linux
instead of powerpc-apple-darwin.
Should I just configure as linux and then edit the generated makefiles?

@ 2003-11-11  0:37     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-11-11  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rib Rdb; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 17:26, Rib Rdb wrote:
> What would be the proper way to build it.  Configure complains about an
> unknown host type unless I lie and say --host=powerpc-apple-linux
> instead of powerpc-apple-darwin.
> Should I just configure as linux and then edit the generated makefiles?

Do you even need to tell it the host?  What happens if you just
"configure"?

> On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 12:34 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 13:28, Rib Rdb wrote:
> >> Since the configuration tool won't build on OS X, would it work to
> >> configure and build eCos on a windows machine, then copy the libraries
> >> and headers to a Mac OS X machine and do the development there with
> >> the
> >> appropriate cross compilers?  Also, would the version of gcc, etc used
> >> on the Mac have to be the same as on the Windows computer?
> >
> > Or, just use 'ecosconfig' on your Mac! which surely will build.
> >
> > There's no reason you absolutely have to use the Config Tool.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: [ECOS] Building from OS X
@ 2003-11-11  0:49       ` Rib Rdb
From: Rib Rdb @ 2003-11-11  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

If I don't specify one it says:
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type;
you must specify one

On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 04:37 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 17:26, Rib Rdb wrote:
>> What would be the proper way to build it.  Configure complains about
>> an
>> unknown host type unless I lie and say --host=powerpc-apple-linux
>> instead of powerpc-apple-darwin.
>> Should I just configure as linux and then edit the generated
>> makefiles?
>>

> Do you even need to tell it the host?  What happens if you just
> "configure"?

>>> Or, just use 'ecosconfig' on your Mac! which surely will build.
>>>
>>> There's no reason you absolutely have to use the Config Tool.
>
> --
> Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
> MLB Associates

* Re: [ECOS] Building from OS X
@ 2003-11-11  1:18         ` Rib Rdb
From: Rib Rdb @ 2003-11-11  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 04:49 PM, Rib Rdb wrote:

> If I don't specify one it says:
> checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host
> type; you must specify one

I guess it helps to check out the host package.  Now it seems to work
despite the fact that configure doesn't recognize the system type.

> On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 04:37 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 17:26, Rib Rdb wrote:
>>> What would be the proper way to build it.  Configure complains about
>>> an
>>> unknown host type unless I lie and say --host=powerpc-apple-linux
>>> instead of powerpc-apple-darwin.
>>> Should I just configure as linux and then edit the generated
>>> makefiles?
>>>

>> Do you even need to tell it the host?  What happens if you just

>> --
>> Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
>> MLB Associates

* [ECOS] Re: Building from OS X
@ 2003-11-13  9:37 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2003-11-13  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rib Rdb; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Rib Rdb wrote:

> Since the configuration tool won't build on OS X, would it work to
> configure and build eCos on a windows machine, then copy the libraries
> and headers to a Mac OS X machine and do the development there with the
> appropriate cross compilers?  Also, would the version of gcc, etc used
> on the Mac have to be the same as on the Windows computer?

Although wxWindows is a cross-platform toolkit, it is very unlikely that
the eCos Configuration Tool would "just work" on an OS X box. There are
a number of places in the source code where this tool needs to
accommodate OS features apart from the user interface.

John Dallaway
eCosCentric Limited