* Re: [ECOS] Development environment under Windows without cygwin?
@ 2011-03-23 17:12 Guenter Ebermann
From: Guenter Ebermann @ 2011-03-23 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rrauch; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi,

> Do anybody knows a way to work without cygwin natively on Windows?
>
> It seems, that cygwin is causing several problems on different windows
> environments.
> Is there a way to work without cygwin?
> Is the gnu compiler/linker toolchain available for windows? Which versions
> are comparable to the arm-eabi-gcc V4.3.2 ?
> Is it possible to run the eCos Config Tool without cygwin?

We use the same linux VM on all our developer work stations under a
windows host at the moment. Also for building eCos. No Problems so far.

In the past we also maintained a cygwin-free mingw-based gcc/make
Buildenvironment. But only building ecos applications, not eCos itself.

If you have problems with the moving cygwin target you can also setup
local cygwin repositories with a fixed version where all developers get
their cygwin from.

Best solution for us was the linux VM. Least trouble.

best regards,
Guenter

* AW: [ECOS] Development environment under Windows without cygwin?
@ 2011-03-23 17:43 ` Richard Rauch
From: Richard Rauch @ 2011-03-23 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi again

I have found now an interesting link: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ct2.html

Is that, what I'm searching for? I have read the description and it looks
like that this version of the Configuration Tool is running without cygwin?
But the page itself is marked as "obsolete". So maybe this work was not
continued?

How knows more about this?

Richard

Richard Rauch
email: rrauch@itrgmbh.de

ITR GmbH
Informationstechnologie Rauch
Schnepfenreuther Hauptstrasse 27b
D-90425 Nuernberg

phone:  +49 (0) 911 3784437
VoIP:    +49 (0) 911 495221739
web:     http://www.itrgmbh.de
email:   info@itrgmbh.de

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Richard Rauch
Handelsregister: Nuernberg HR B 21676
USt-Id Nr. : DE228051873

> Do anybody knows a way to work without cygwin natively on Windows?
>
> It seems, that cygwin is causing several problems on different windows
> environments.
> Is there a way to work without cygwin?
> Is the gnu compiler/linker toolchain available for windows? Which
> versions are comparable to the arm-eabi-gcc V4.3.2 ?
> Is it possible to run the eCos Config Tool without cygwin?

We use the same linux VM on all our developer work stations under a windows
host at the moment. Also for building eCos. No Problems so far.

In the past we also maintained a cygwin-free mingw-based gcc/make
Buildenvironment. But only building ecos applications, not eCos itself.

If you have problems with the moving cygwin target you can also setup local
cygwin repositories with a fixed version where all developers get their
cygwin from.

Best solution for us was the linux VM. Least trouble.

best regards,
Guenter

* [ECOS] Re: Development environment under Windows without cygwin?
@ 2011-03-23 18:59   ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2011-03-23 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Rauch; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Richard

Richard Rauch wrote:

> I have found now an interesting link: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ct2.html
>
> Is that, what I'm searching for? I have read the description and it looks
> like that this version of the Configuration Tool is running without cygwin?
> But the page itself is marked as "obsolete". So maybe this work was not
> continued?
>
> How knows more about this?

The eCos Configuration Tool was originally developed as an MFC
application for Windows hosts only (version 1.x). The page you cite is
referring to early versions of the port of the eCos Configuration Tool
to wxWidgets (version 2.x). These early versions were built for Windows
hosts using Microsoft's C++ compiler.

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer
http://www.dallaway.org.uk/john

* AW: [ECOS] Development environment under Windows without cygwin?
@ 2011-03-23 16:25   ` Richard Rauch
From: Richard Rauch @ 2011-03-23 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

We are working with YAGARTO, too. This includes a GNU ARM toolchain, which
do not needs cygwin.

So I had the idea, that somebody has already a solution for building eCos
itself with this toolchain.