* [ECOS] Support for Motorola MCF5282
@ 2004-01-24 16:22 Michael Christmann
From: Michael Christmann @ 2004-01-24 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello all,

I would like to use eCos with a Motorola MCF5282.

Is there someone who has experience with the MCF5282 (or MCF5272) and
eCos?

(When I read
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-08/msg00286.html it
sounds like there is only a commercial version which is usable - is
this true?)

Thank you,
Michael

* Re: [ECOS] Support for Motorola MCF5282
@ 2004-01-25 20:53 ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2004-01-25 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Christmann; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Michael Christmann wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to use eCos with a Motorola MCF5282.
>
> Is there someone who has experience with the MCF5282 (or MCF5272) and eCos?
>
> (When I read
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-08/msg00286.html it
> sounds like there is only a commercial version which is usable - is this
> true?)

Yes, this is true.  eCosPro is available for both the MCF5272 and
MCF5282 and were both done from scratch. The contributed MCF5272 port in
anoncvs is very broken (with no 5282 support either).

-- Alex

--
Managing Director / CEO                           eCosCentric Limited
http://www.ecoscentric.com/              The eCos and RedBoot experts

* Re: [ECOS] Support for Motorola MCF5282
@ 2004-01-25 21:18 ` Dieter Schaefer
From: Dieter Schaefer @ 2004-01-25 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Christmann; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to use eCos with a Motorola MCF5282.
>
> Is there someone who has experience with the MCF5282 (or MCF5272) and
> eCos?
>
> (When I read
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-08/msg00286.html it
> sounds like there is only a commercial version which is usable - is
> this true?)
unfortunately, yes. eCosCentric Ltd. provides that. However, they are
asking for real MONEY.
Take a look at RTEMS, they have ports for MCF5272 and work for
MCF5282 are under the way.

Good luck.
Dieter Schaefer

PS: I really don't understand why this 'broken MCF5272 port' isn't
removed from anoncvs. It is just useless, and people wast their time
trying to get it to work. It doesn't even compile !
Maybe, it's just kind of 'flypaper' from eCosCentric ?

@ 2004-01-26  9:06   ` Peter Graf
From: Peter Graf @ 2004-01-26  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> Michael Christmann wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I would like to use eCos with a Motorola MCF5282.
>>
>> Is there someone who has experience with the MCF5282 (or MCF5272) and
>> eCos?
>>
>> (When I read
>> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-08/msg00286.html it
>> sounds like there is only a commercial version which is usable - is
>> this true?)
>

> Yes, this is true.

Just out of curiosity, not as criticism: How does that correspond to the
license? I presume CPU support is part of eCos itself, so everyone could
ask for the sources for no more than the copying charge. Or are these
ports directly from the eCos copyright holders, using a second license
for eCosPro? If so, what is the eCosPro license?

>   eCosPro is available for both the MCF5272 and MCF5282 and were both
> done from scratch. The contributed MCF5272 port in anoncvs is very
> broken (with no 5282 support either).

All the best
Peter

* Re: [ECOS] Support for Motorola MCF5282
@ 2004-01-26 14:13     ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2004-01-26 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Graf; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Peter Graf wrote:

> Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
>
>> Michael Christmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I would like to use eCos with a Motorola MCF5282.
>>>
>>> Is there someone who has experience with the MCF5282 (or MCF5272) and
>>> eCos?
>>>
>>> (When I read
>>> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-08/msg00286.html it
>>> sounds like there is only a commercial version which is usable - is
>>> this true?)
>>
>> Yes, this is true.
>
> Just out of curiosity, not as criticism: How does that correspond to the
> license? I presume CPU support is part of eCos itself, so everyone could
> ask for the sources for no more than the copying charge. Or are these
> ports directly from the eCos copyright holders, using a second license
> for eCosPro? If so, what is the eCosPro license?

eCosPro is made up of a number of different components that are released
under different licenses:
   * eCos 2.0 license (GPL+exception)
   * Modified BSD license
   * eCosPro license
   * Eclipse license

This means that if you are a recipient of a binary using eCos or
eCosPro, you are entitled to ask for the eCos sources that are licensed
under the eCos 2.0 license only.  In practice this means the eCos kernel
and components as well as any platform or processor HAL components that
were derived from other components which were released under the eCos
2.0 license.

For the other portions of eCosPro (i.e. the sources which are licensed
under a modified BSD license or the eCosPro license) there are no
requirements to provide the source code of these components to
recipients of any binaries.  This will include clean-room eCos HALs and
device drivers as well as other proprietary *additions* (e.g. custom
device drivers such as SPI and MMC device drivers, code coverage
analysis support, Eclipse/CDT plug-ins, etc).

For the eCosPro sources which fall under the eCos 2.0 license, these are
made available on a per request basis by eCosCentric.

The eCosPro license simply allows you to distribute eCosPro binaries
without license fees or royalties but prohibits you from distributing
the eCosPro-licensed sources outside your organisation (without prior
written consent from eCosCentric).  When you purchase eCosPro, the
eCosPro license is obviously included.

-- Alex

--

@ 2004-01-26 16:39   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2004-01-26 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dieter Schaefer; +Cc: Michael Christmann, ecos-discuss

Dieter Schaefer wrote:
[...]
> PS: I really don't understand why this 'broken MCF5272 port' isn't
> removed from anoncvs. It is just useless, and people wast their time
> trying to get it to work. It doesn't even compile !
> Maybe, it's just kind of 'flypaper' from eCosCentric ?

The original port has nothing to do with eCosCentric, it was a public
contribution.

Without hardware or tools to test contributed ports or work, the eCos
maintainers are reliant on the individual contributors for the quality
and stability of such contributed code.  The maintainers also have a
policy of not removing functionality once it has been checked into
anoncvs leaving developers the choice of either ignoring it or fixing
it.  Removing the code does not give the developer any choice and the
MCF5272 port is a case in point.

-- Alex

--
Managing Director / CEO                           eCosCentric Limited
http://www.ecoscentric.com/              The eCos and RedBoot experts

* [ECOS] Re: Support for Motorola MCF5282
@ 2004-01-26 17:31     ` Daniel Néri
From: Daniel Néri @ 2004-01-26 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com> writes:

> Removing the code does not give the developer any choice and the
> MCF5272 port is a case in point.

It would still be available from "the Attic".

Regards,
--Daniel