* RE: [ECOS] Re: Port of 82559 ethernet driver for PC target (was: "RE: [ECOS] New bie Question!")
@ 2000-10-04 11:55 Fabrice Gautier
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2000-10-04 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Lunn'; +Cc: eCos Disuss

Hi,

The good news is  that the i386 port of eCos doesn't seem to have the cache
enabled.

> It has to be in the PCI window and somewhere the DMA can get it. I
> know in olden days the i386 hardware was limmited on where the DMA
> could work. Does this apply? Its a long time since i've played with
> this sort of thing.

The DMA? I'm not sure but I don't see any programming of a DMA controller in
the existing driver.
Unless there is part of the RAM that is not "connected" to the PCI bus I
guess all of it is accessible, but why would it be so? Does the DMA thing is
what connect the PCI bus to the RAM ?

Anyway I think the DMA limitation is something like we can't do DMA
transfert to/from memory above 16 Meg - And I don't have more than 16 Meg on
my target.

And Anyway, I will assume there is nothing to worry about... and we will
see.

Regards,

--
Fabrice Gautier
fabrice_gautier@sdesigns.com

* RE: [ECOS] Re: Port of 82559 ethernet driver for PC target (was: "RE: [ECOS] New bie Question!")
@ 2000-10-05 10:28 Fabrice Gautier
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2000-10-05 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2000-10-03 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'andrew.lunn@ascom.ch', msasi; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi,

Sasidhar, did you start some work on this yet?

> Look back in the email archive. There was a contribution of a PCI
> library for the x86. You will need to intergrate this with the current
> anoncvs tree.

That's should be easy... :-)
Just needed to add the HAL_PCI_TRANSLATE_INTERRUPT macro

> You then need to get an i82559 card from somewhere. Thats the Intel
> Intel EtherExpress Pro. The driver may also work on i82557 and i82558,
> but its not been tested and probably needs some tweeking.
>
> Then make sure the PCI library can find the card. The test program
> pci1 should see it.

That seems ok for me

> Decide where to put the PCI memory window. Change the MMU to support
> this. Also watch out for the new heap/malloc code. It may try to put a
> heap on the PCI window.

Well, Afaik there is no MMU involved in the 386-PC target. It uses a simple
32 bits flat model.

So I don't think there is no need to setup a PCI memory window. I think the
3 BAR are setup by the BIOS. I read:

 BAR[0]    0xE7300000 / probed size 0x00000000 / CPU addr 0xFFFFFFFF
 BAR[1]    0x0000E801 / probed size 0x00000000 / CPU addr 0xFFFFFFFF
 BAR[2]    0xE7100000 / probed size 0x00000000 / CPU addr 0xFFFFFFFF

So I think thats mean that I can just access the registers through those
adresses spaces. (right?)

And for the heap/malloc things, I don't understand why there is a special
malloc stuff. Why not regular memory pools?. And it seems there is need to
set up a region in the memory layout. Why?

As I understand how the 82559 works, when we want to send a packet, we have
to write the adress of some structure in the SCB General Pointer register
(offset 04h) and then a transmit command in the SCB command register. Is
that right? If so, the adress we pass can just be anywhere in memory right?

Thanks