* [ECOS] microwindows under ecos 2.0
@ 2002-07-08  9:51 Woller, Thomas
From: Woller, Thomas @ 2002-07-08  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

greetings, has anyone successfully built the microwindows package
under the latest ecos 2.0 source tree?
if so, then information concerning the configuration (ecos.ecc
file would help), target platform, crosscompiler used, binutils
version etc. would be very helpful.
i am attempting to build the linux synth target with mw (which
builds fine without mw btw), using the RH 7.1 2.96-85 compiler,
20000731.
thanks for any information
Tom Woller
tom.woller@cirrus.com

* Re: [ECOS] microwindows under ecos 2.0
@ 2002-07-08 13:14 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2002-07-08 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tom.woller; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Tom> greetings, has anyone successfully built the microwindows package
    Tom> under the latest ecos 2.0 source tree?
    Tom> if so, then information concerning the configuration (ecos.ecc
    Tom> file would help), target platform, crosscompiler used, binutils
    Tom> version etc. would be very helpful.
    Tom> i am attempting to build the linux synth target with mw (which
    Tom> builds fine without mw btw), using the RH 7.1 2.96-85 compiler,
    Tom> 20000731.

Yes, but not for the synthetic target. The version of microwindows
checked into CVS only supports a small number of targets: some ARM
boards, and a PC with a suitable graphics card. The synthetic target
code currently checked in does not have any framebuffer support, so
running microwindows would be rather difficult.

As a quick experiment I just tried:

  ecosconfig new pc net
  ecosconfig add mw
  (edit ecos.ecc, CYGBLD_GLOBAL_COMMAND_PREFIX -> "")
  ecosconfig tree
  make

And that builds fine, using gcc 2.96 (Red Hat). I don't actually have
the hardware set up right now to test that it works, but certainly
there are no build problems.

Note that, at present, to run eCos microwindows on a PC you need to
boot the PC with a specially configured version of RedBoot.
Specifically RedBoot needs to built with a sensible value for
CYGNUM_HAL_I386_PC_STARTUP_VIDEO_MODE. During startup RedBoot will
then make a video BIOS call to set the graphics card to a suitable
mode while the x86 is still in 16-bit mode, i.e. while it is still
easy to make BIOS calls.

Bart