* RE: [ECOS] RedBoot porting problem
@ 2001-06-13 13:40 Narayana, Venkat A.
From: Narayana, Venkat A. @ 2001-06-13 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jeremy Lin'; +Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

instead of redboot banner, the serial port always
outputs a string like this "$T0a0f:00000000;0d:00000000;#f9",
just like what I got when using gdb stub.
Does that mean it still in gdb protocol mode? How can I get
the redboot mode? Please give me a hint..

Are you bringing up this from flash? If so
what flash u r having,i mean u need to have
proper driver.
I ran into same issue sometime back and i discovered
that it is because of flash's timing issue. My flash
is Intel's strata running in x8 mode.
Do let me know how u made it work.

Venkat N

* RE: [ECOS] RedBoot porting problem
@ 2001-06-14 10:52   ` Jeremy Lin
From: Jeremy Lin @ 2001-06-14 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. I will keep trying.
Here is how I test Redboot on my board so far,
I have a working gdb stub to boot up the board, then I
load the redboot image file (redboot.img), which is compiled
to run from RAM, by JTAG ICE and run it. The reason I need
to use JTAG instead of the existing gdb stub in flash to load
it is I have only one serial port on board.
Then if it's working, since I don't have a flash programming
driver for my board, I'm going to burn the ROM-Start image to EEPROM.

Thanks again!
Jeremy Lin

--- Gary Thomas <gthomas@cambridge.redhat.com> wrote:

> On 13-Jun-2001 Jeremy Lin wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I use CVS version of eCos for my target.
> > Now I have a working HAL and serial driver for
> > my platform(SAMSUNG KS32C50100 based), and
> > the gdb stub works fine on my board.
> > I was trying to port redboot to my platform. I
> > tried to compile it by choosing template "redboot"
> > and it compiled successfully; I also have a set of
> > ecm files which is copied from pid platform.
> > But when I load the redboot image file and run it,
> > instead of redboot banner, the serial port always
> > outputs a string like this "$T0a0f:00000000;0d:00000000;#f9",
> > just like what I got when using gdb stub.
> > Does that mean it still in gdb protocol mode? How can I get
> > the redboot mode? Please give me a hint..
>
> It means that something went wrong when you started it up.  Are
> you running this from ROM or RAM?
>
> You can get a clue by simply connecting to your board via GDB
> and getting a backtrace and register info.  This may give you
> an idea why it is failing.
>
>   % arm-elf-gdb -nw redboot.elf
>   (gdb) set remotebaud 38400
>   (gdb) tar rem /dev/ttyS0
>   (gdb) info reg
>   (gdb) bt

http://buzz.yahoo.com/

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot porting problem
@ 2001-06-13 13:46 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-06-13 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Lin; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Jeremy Lin wrote:

> Hi,
> I use CVS version of eCos for my target.
> Now I have a working HAL and serial driver for
> my platform(SAMSUNG KS32C50100 based), and
> the gdb stub works fine on my board.

Is this a public board? If so, it would be good if you could consider
contributing back. Mail ecos-maintainers@redhat.com to discuss further if
so!

> I was trying to port redboot to my platform. I
> tried to compile it by choosing template "redboot"
> and it compiled successfully; I also have a set of
> ecm files which is copied from pid platform.
> But when I load the redboot image file and run it,
> instead of redboot banner, the serial port always
> outputs a string like this "$T0a0f:00000000;0d:00000000;#f9",
> just like what I got when using gdb stub.
> Does that mean it still in gdb protocol mode? How can I get
> the redboot mode? Please give me a hint..

That implies both PC and SP are 0x0. Something's wrong there.

Also are sure your reprogramming of the board worked?

But my guess is that your RedBoot is hitting an exception of some sort
(e.g. by accessing an illegal memory address or whatever) on startup, which
causes it to enter the stub, as all exceptions do.

Jifl
Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* RE: [ECOS] RedBoot porting problem
@ 2001-06-13 13:14 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-06-13 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Lin; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2001-06-13 11:50 Jeremy Lin
From: Jeremy Lin @ 2001-06-13 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
I use CVS version of eCos for my target.
Now I have a working HAL and serial driver for
my platform(SAMSUNG KS32C50100 based), and
the gdb stub works fine on my board.
I was trying to port redboot to my platform. I
tried to compile it by choosing template "redboot"
and it compiled successfully; I also have a set of
ecm files which is copied from pid platform.
But when I load the redboot image file and run it,
instead of redboot banner, the serial port always
outputs a string like this "$T0a0f:00000000;0d:00000000;#f9",
just like what I got when using gdb stub.
Does that mean it still in gdb protocol mode? How can I get
the redboot mode? Please give me a hint..

Thanks to all!

Regards,
Jeremy Lin