* [ECOS] sdram scrubbing and MMU enabling.
@ 2001-08-03  9:48 Mynampati, Venkata S.
From: Mynampati, Venkata S. @ 2001-08-03  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

Hi
in hal_platform_setup.h ( iq80310/include), i noticed that we are
enabling MMU and then scrubbing sdram starting from RAM_BASE i.e A0000000.
Now, my doubt is:
since we have mapped the first 4K of RAM to flash,
	[ mmu_table_rambase:
	        // Map 4k page at 0xa0000000 virt --> 0x00000000 physical
	        //   Read-Write, cacheable, non-bufferable ]
does that mean writing a 0x00 to a0000000 is same as writing to flash?
Am i missing something here?

Venkat

Worry about chances you miss when you don't even try.

* RE: [ECOS] sdram scrubbing and MMU enabling.
@ 2001-08-03 10:01 Mynampati, Venkata S.
From: Mynampati, Venkata S. @ 2001-08-03 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark Salter'; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > Hi
> > in hal_platform_setup.h ( iq80310/include), i noticed that we are
> > enabling MMU and then scrubbing sdram starting from
> RAM_BASE i.e A0000000.
> > Now, my doubt is:
> > since we have mapped the first 4K of RAM to flash,
> > 	[ mmu_table_rambase:
> > 	        // Map 4k page at 0xa0000000 virt -->
> 0x00000000 physical
> > 	        //   Read-Write, cacheable, non-bufferable ]
> > does that mean writing a 0x00 to a0000000 is same as
> writing to flash?
> > Am i missing something here?
>
> No, its a problem. It came up this week on the ARM linux
> kernel mailing list.
> I'm working on a fix.
>
> --Mark

what i am doing is scrubbing and then enabling mmu.

venkat

* RE: [ECOS] sdram scrubbing and MMU enabling.
@ 2001-08-03 10:27 Mynampati, Venkata S.
From: Mynampati, Venkata S. @ 2001-08-03 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark Salter'; +Cc: ecos-discuss

are
> >> RAM_BASE i.e A0000000.
> >> 0x00000000 physical
> >> writing to flash?
> >>
> >> No, its a problem. It came up this week on the ARM linux
> >> kernel mailing list.
> >> I'm working on a fix.
> >>
> >> --Mark
> >>
> > what i am doing is scrubbing and then enabling mmu.
>
> I was told by the hw designer that that would not work. Scrubbing
> needs to occur with the dcache/ECC turned on which means the MMU
> must be on.
>
> There is also a related problem where the first 1MB of SDRAM does
> not have ECC turned on. Since the board is populated with ECC RAM,
> its likely that single bit errors will occur and go undetected.
>
> --Mark

  I am going thru 80312's documentation page 3-31, section
  3.2.4.4 and it's related to Scrubbing. This doesn't say anything
  about cache's. Is it in someother section? also, where can i find
  info about first 1MB of sdram stuff?

Venkat