* [ECOS]  Does i2c module work in RedBoot?
@ 2007-02-12  2:51 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2007-02-12  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Does the i2c package work for RedBoot?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I want a VEGETARIAN
                                  at               BURRITO to go... with
                               visi.com            EXTRA MSG!!

* RE: [ECOS] Does i2c module work in RedBoot?
@ 2007-02-12  4:17 ` wang cui
From: wang cui @ 2007-02-12  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grante, ecos-discuss

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312; format=flowed, Size: 969 bytes --]

Yes, I use it to drive WallClock chip in RedBoot.

>From: Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com>
>To: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
>Subject: [ECOS]  Does i2c module work in RedBoot?
>Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 02:51:08 +0000 (UTC)
>
>Does the i2c package work for RedBoot?
>
>--
>Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I want a
VEGETARIAN
>                                   at               BURRITO to go... with
>                                visi.com            EXTRA MSG!!
>

>--
>Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos

* [ECOS]  Re: Does i2c module work in RedBoot?
@ 2007-02-12 15:25   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2007-02-12 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2007-02-12, wang cui <iucgnaw@msn.com> wrote:
>>Does the i2c package work for RedBoot?

> Yes, I use it to drive WallClock chip in RedBoot.

Thanks.  I've heard from a couple others who also use the i2c
module in RedBoot.

I glanced at the souce code and noticed calls to mutex routines
and wasn't sure if that would cause problems or not.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm thinking about
                                  at               DIGITAL READ-OUT systems

* Re: [ECOS]  Re: Does i2c module work in RedBoot?
@ 2007-02-12 16:27     ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2007-02-12 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grante; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Grant> On 2007-02-12, wang cui <iucgnaw@msn.com> wrote:
    >>> Does the i2c package work for RedBoot?

    >> Yes, I use it to drive WallClock chip in RedBoot.

    Grant> Thanks. I've heard from a couple others who also use the
    Grant> i2c module in RedBoot.

    Grant> I glanced at the souce code and noticed calls to mutex
    Grant> routines and wasn't sure if that would cause problems or
    Grant> not.

Those calls involve the driver API rather than the kernel API,
allowing the generic I2C code to work correctly in both a
multi-threaded kernel configuration and in a polled-only configuration
like RedBoot. However note that it is not just the generic I2C support
CYGPKG_IO_I2C you need to worry about. Typically there will also be
a hardware-specific device driver and that needs to do the right thing
as well. Usually that is not hard - in the tx and rx routines check
whether or not interrupts are enabled and then either poll or wait for
the interrupt - but some device drivers may not bother.

If instead of a driver for some I2C bus master hardware you are using
the bitbanging support in the generic package, that is usable in both
interrupt-driven and polled environments.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                                 eCos Configuration Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com/               The eCos and RedBoot experts

* [ECOS]  Re: Does i2c module work in RedBoot?
@ 2007-02-12 16:30       ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2007-02-12 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2007-02-12, Bart Veer <bartv@ecoscentric.com> wrote:

>    Grant> Thanks. I've heard from a couple others who also use the
>    Grant> i2c module in RedBoot.
>
>    Grant> I glanced at the souce code and noticed calls to mutex
>    Grant> routines and wasn't sure if that would cause problems or
>    Grant> not.
>
> Those calls involve the driver API rather than the kernel API,
> allowing the generic I2C code to work correctly in both a
> multi-threaded kernel configuration and in a polled-only
> configuration like RedBoot. However note that it is not just
> the generic I2C support CYGPKG_IO_I2C you need to worry about.
> Typically there will also be a hardware-specific device driver
> and that needs to do the right thing as well. Usually that is
> not hard - in the tx and rx routines check whether or not
> interrupts are enabled and then either poll or wait for the
> interrupt - but some device drivers may not bother.
>
> If instead of a driver for some I2C bus master hardware you
> are using the bitbanging support in the generic package, that
> is usable in both interrupt-driven and polled environments.

Yes, I'm planning on using the bit-banging driver (I should
have mentioned that), so it sounds like there shouldn't be any
problems.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now my EMOTIONAL
                                  at               RESOURCES are heavily