* [ECOS] debugging with gdb
@ 2001-07-03  4:41 Rajeev murthy
From: Rajeev murthy @ 2001-07-03  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

hi,
    i have redboot with Rom startup on my board. i also have an application for a rom startup. redboot sits from 0x4000 and my app starts from 0xe000.
   i'm able to connect to the gdb  through target remote /dev/ttyS0. now i need to tell gdb to start running my application and help me debug it.
   will the command file myapp enough for gdb to read the symbol tables or should i load it using the load command. when i say load gdb starts downloading , but the target doesnt respond . why should i download the elf image when i already have the binary on my board ?
  please tell me what am i missing.
thanks
rajeev

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!

* Re: [ECOS] debugging with gdb
@ 2001-07-03  5:18 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-07-03  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rajeev50; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Rajeev> hi, i have redboot with Rom startup on my board. i also have
Rajeev> an application for a rom startup. redboot sits from 0x4000 and
Rajeev> my app starts from 0xe000.  i'm able to connect to the gdb
Rajeev> through target remote /dev/ttyS0. now i need to tell gdb to
Rajeev> start running my application and help me debug it.  will the
Rajeev> command file myapp enough for gdb to read the symbol tables or
Rajeev> should i load it using the load command. when i say load gdb
Rajeev> starts downloading , but the target doesnt respond . why
Rajeev> should i download the elf image when i already have the binary
Rajeev> on my board ?  please tell me what am i missing.  thanks
Rajeev> rajeev

You can't debug a ROM startup application.

Jesper

* [ECOS] debugging with gdb
@ 2004-11-24 18:14 dorrontxiki
From: dorrontxiki @ 2004-11-24 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I have a ARMoid ARMermelator board (AT91M42800A).
I am using gdb for debugging remote programs, using a serial line. I make
the next steps:

(gdb) set remotebaud 38400
(gdb) target remote COM2

I then get an error that is:

     Inappropriate ioctl for device.

I've then tried making the next steps:

(gdb) set remotebaud 38400
(gdb) target remote COM2(gdb)

and I get the next answer:

      Remote debugging using /dev/com2
      Ignoring packet error, continuing...
      Ignoring packet error, continuing...
      Ignoring packet error, continuing...
      Couldn't establish connection to remote target
      Malformed response to offset query, timeout

I cannot find any information in the documentation about
this.

Do you have any idea what these errors means and how to fix them?

Many thanks,

Inigo

* Re: [ECOS] debugging with gdb
@ 2004-11-12 13:36     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-11-12 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Wagner; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 11:38:24AM +0000, Will Wagner wrote:
> Can you give me more information on what configuration options I need to
> set.
>
> I have tried to build my application so that its address is set at
> compile time and is different from the one redboot uses. However this
> doesn't work. What gdb stubs options must I build the application woth?

There are a number of ways of doing this, most of which has been
endlessly disucusses on the mailling list. See the archive.

Some people setup redboot to use bootp and the application to use
DHCP. You then need to configure your servers to give out different
addresses.

Others configure redboot with a fixed address and then let the
application use dhcp.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] debugging with gdb
@ 2004-11-12 11:49   ` Will Wagner
From: Will Wagner @ 2004-11-12 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Can you give me more information on what configuration options I need to
set.

I have tried to build my application so that its address is set at
compile time and is different from the one redboot uses. However this
doesn't work. What gdb stubs options must I build the application woth?

Many thanks,

Will Wagner

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 05:27:46PM +0000, Will Wagner wrote:
>
>>I have an A&MViper powerpc860 board up and running. I am currently
>>investigating debugging options. The board has redboot on it with gdb stubs.
>>
>>If I configure ecos not to have a network stack then I can connect to
>>the board with gdb over the network and download, run and debug my test
>>app. If I build ecos with network support it doesn't work as when the
>>code is run it initialises the network which obviously resets the
>>connection to gdb.
>>
>>Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I assume not. I could
>>presumably do the same but use the serial port although I don't want to
>>do it as it will be slow and I need the serial port for other things.
>

> This does work, you can share the ethernet device between the
> application and the stub. You just have to ensure there are two
> different IP addresses.
>
>         Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] debugging with gdb
@ 2004-11-11 17:47 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-11-11 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Wagner; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2004-11-11 17:46 Will Wagner
From: Will Wagner @ 2004-11-11 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I have an A&MViper powerpc860 board up and running. I am currently
investigating debugging options. The board has redboot on it with gdb stubs.

If I configure ecos not to have a network stack then I can connect to
the board with gdb over the network and download, run and debug my test
app. If I build ecos with network support it doesn't work as when the
code is run it initialises the network which obviously resets the
connection to gdb.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I assume not. I could
presumably do the same but use the serial port although I don't want to
do it as it will be slow and I need the serial port for other things.

So I was looking at debugging with a BDM. There don't sem to be many
docs on doing this, does anyone know of any good resources? What BDM
device would anyone recommend and are there any reference gdbinit
scripts for setting up powerpc/860?

Many thanks,

Will Wagner