* Re: [ECOS] Re: Help in testing IPv6
@ 2003-01-09 13:22 matthew de veza
From: matthew de veza @ 2003-01-09 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hamilton, ecos-discuss; +Cc: gary.thomas, jfil

Hi Louis,

We've followed your advise and modified the scripts to allow manual
rebooting of the target.

If it isn't confidential, may we know your test results or at least some
statistics on the freebsd-and-ecos-target tests (which tests passed/failed)?
we've been trying to do the same however only a small percentage of the
tests pass, a lot of failures occur in tests which involve multicast and
global addresses, and as you know, a huge bulk of the tests are involved in
this. Also, is global addressing supported in ECOS?

darth vader wrote:

--- Gary Thomas <gthomas@ecoscentric.com> wrote:

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 07:54, elvie hau wrote:
>Thank you very much for the information.  Since
using
>TAHI Test Suite seems to be impractical, can you
>suggest an alternative?

There were some IPv6 specific tests written.  Look
at the
net/common/current/tests directory.

I have also tried searching for information regarding the use of TAHI for
testing IPv6 in a target that uses eCos, but it the information doesn't seem
to be around. :(

Aside from these IPv6 specific tests, can anybody suggest other means of
testing eCos's IPv6 support on a target? Perhaps port the IPv4 network tests
(like ping) to IPv6? Or maybe port the TAHI tests/test apps to eCos? Or are
these methods impractical?

Comments/suggestions are appreciated. :)
Thank you.

Raymund
darthvid@hotmail.com

Testing IPv6 in an eCos target is challenging but not impossible. Some
modifications to the TAHI testsuite
Perl scripts are required, mostly to pause the test to allow the user to
manually reboot the target, a requirement
for some tests. With a properly configured host running FreeBSD 4.4 w/ TAHI
and IPv6 eCos target I was
able to successfully execute a sizeable chunk of the testsuite.

Just be sure to utilize the router thread in eCos, which is a port of the
FreeBSD rtsold, the router solicitation
daemon, or many tests will fail.

Also be aware that TAHI assumes two PCs running FreeBSD are the host and
target here, and little is done in
the TAHI scripts to provide otherwise. Assumptions are made AFA target
infrastructure and many tests will
have to be exempt due to missing functionality on the eCos target.

Regards,
Louis

Louis Hamilton
hamilton@redhat.com

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Help in testing IPv6
@ 2003-01-10 12:30   ` elvie hau
From: elvie hau @ 2003-01-10 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Hamilton, darth vader; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Testing IPv6 in an eCos target is challenging but
> not impossible.  Some
> modifications to the TAHI testsuite
> Perl scripts are required, mostly to pause the test
> to allow the user to
> manually reboot the target, a requirement
> for some tests.  With a properly configured host
> running FreeBSD 4.4 w/
> TAHI and IPv6 eCos target I was
> able to successfully execute a sizeable chunk of the
> testsuite.
> Just be sure to utilize the router thread in eCos,
> which is a port of
> the FreeBSD rtsold, the router solicitation
> daemon, or many tests will fail.
>
> Also be aware that TAHI assumes two PCs running
> FreeBSD are the host and
> target here, and little is done in
> the TAHI scripts to provide otherwise.  Assumptions
> are made AFA target
> infrastructure and many tests will
> have to be exempt due to missing functionality on
> the eCos target.
>
> Regards,
> Louis
>
> Louis Hamilton
> hamilton@redhat.com

good evening!

i am currently testing ipv6 in an ecos target and have
done your suggestion of modifying the tahi test suite
in order to pause the test to allow the user to reboot
the target especially for nd and stateless-addrconf
tests. however, most test cases fail... is my target
the problem? my target is an atmel board.  would it be
possible to know what your target was in testing ecos
in ipv6?

another point is that possibly my freebsd is the one
not working properly. my current configuration is
simply just an installation of tahi test suite in
freebsd 4.5.  what does it entail to have a properly
configured host running freebsd with tahi?

thanks so much!

looking forward to a favorable reply.

regards,
elvie hau

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Help in testing IPv6
@ 2002-12-04 19:50 darth vader
From: darth vader @ 2002-12-04 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hamilton; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>From: Louis Hamilton <hamilton@redhat.com>
>To: darth vader <darthvid@hotmail.com>
>CC: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
>Subject: Re: [ECOS] Re: Help in testing IPv6
>Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:57:07 -0600
>
>Testing IPv6 in an eCos target is challenging but not impossible.  Some
>modifications to the TAHI testsuite
>Perl scripts are required, mostly to pause the test to allow the user to
>manually reboot the target, a requirement
>for some tests.  With a properly configured host running FreeBSD 4.4 w/
>TAHI and IPv6 eCos target I was
>able to successfully execute a sizeable chunk of the testsuite.

Were these chunks conformance tests or interoperability tests?

>Just be sure to utilize the router thread in eCos, which is a port of the
>FreeBSD rtsold, the router solicitation
>daemon, or many tests will fail.

Please excuse me, but I'm a bit of a newbie at this. :)
Can you please explain the router thread a bit?

Our target is an arm based board with RedBoot, but I've heard that routers
can't be run along with RedBoot.  Also, most of the preliminary tests we
have done on our setup is just by compiling test sources with the libraries
built from eCos, uploading it to the target, and executing it with go.  This
is why I thought that the one would have to port the TAHI interoperability
test sources to eCos in order to execute them.  For conformance, I'm still a
bit at a loss on how to get the target to respond.

Thank you very much! :)

Raymund
darthvid@hotmail.com

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Help in testing IPv6
@ 2002-12-04 10:52 ` Louis Hamilton
From: Louis Hamilton @ 2002-12-04 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: darth vader; +Cc: ecos-discuss

darth vader wrote:

> --- Gary Thomas <gthomas@ecoscentric.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 07:54, elvie hau wrote:
>> > Thank you very much for the information.  Since
>> using
>> > TAHI Test Suite seems to be impractical, can you
>> > suggest an alternative?
>> >

>> There were some IPv6 specific tests written.  Look
>> at the
>> net/common/current/tests directory.
>

> I have also tried searching for information regarding the use of TAHI
> for testing IPv6 in a target that uses eCos, but it the information
> doesn't seem to be around. :(
>
> Aside from these IPv6 specific tests, can anybody suggest other means
> of testing eCos's IPv6 support on a target?  Perhaps port the IPv4
> network tests (like ping) to IPv6?  Or maybe port the TAHI tests/test
> apps to eCos?  Or are these methods impractical?
>
> Comments/suggestions are appreciated. :)
> Thank you.
>
> Raymund
> darthvid@hotmail.com

Testing IPv6 in an eCos target is challenging but not impossible.  Some
modifications to the TAHI testsuite
Perl scripts are required, mostly to pause the test to allow the user to
manually reboot the target, a requirement
for some tests.  With a properly configured host running FreeBSD 4.4 w/
TAHI and IPv6 eCos target I was
able to successfully execute a sizeable chunk of the testsuite.

Just be sure to utilize the router thread in eCos, which is a port of
the FreeBSD rtsold, the router solicitation
daemon, or many tests will fail.

Also be aware that TAHI assumes two PCs running FreeBSD are the host and
target here, and little is done in
the TAHI scripts to provide otherwise.  Assumptions are made AFA target
infrastructure and many tests will
have to be exempt due to missing functionality on the eCos target.

Regards,
Louis

Louis Hamilton
hamilton@redhat.com