* [ECOS] Re: does eCos/GNU debugger supports EmbeddedICE
@ 2001-09-19 18:14 Shaojie Wu
From: Shaojie Wu @ 2001-09-19 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: mgerlach

Hi

Thanks for your reply, my understanding is that by using
on-chip embeddedICE, JTAG embeddedICE interface unit and
GNU gdb, I could  download our program, containing ecos,
into ram, and the program is run and debugged out of ram.
In order to do all of these, we do not need to pre-build
any  program (like angel) into the arm chip core. Am I
right?

I also have some other questions
1. which command of gdb you are using to program the flash
memory? Does gdb has a command for flash downloading?

2. Have you ever tried to modify  the redboot and make it run
on your custom board?  If not, without the support of redboot,
how could you use eCos to write the code. ( seems lots of functions
do need the support of redboot running on board)

Thanks again.

Shaojie

* [ECOS] Re: does eCos/GNU debugger supports EmbeddedICE
@ 2001-09-19 18:26 ` Matthew H. Gerlach
From: Matthew H. Gerlach @ 2001-09-19 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shaojie Wu; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Shaojie Wu wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for your reply, my understanding is that by using
> on-chip embeddedICE, JTAG embeddedICE interface unit and
> GNU gdb, I could  download our program, containing ecos,
> into ram, and the program is run and debugged out of ram.
> In order to do all of these, we do not need to pre-build
> any  program (like angel) into the arm chip core. Am I
> right?

That sounds right to me.  We don't have anything like angel in our
core.  We do have a simple boot code that at least puts the processor in
a known state.  Before we had a boot, we were able to use gdb to write a
few registers in the arm core to program the memory controller so ram
would work.

> I also have some other questions
> 1. which command of gdb you are using to program the flash
> memory? Does gdb has a command for flash downloading?

We don't use gdb to program flash.  We do use gdb to load and run a
program in ram that performs the flash programing

> 2. Have you ever tried to modify  the redboot and make it run
> on your custom board?  If not, without the support of redboot,
> how could you use eCos to write the code. ( seems lots of functions
> do need the support of redboot running on board)

We don't use redboot.  It wasn't available when we started.  We have our
own small boot code that does very little.

@ 2001-09-19 18:49   ` Shaojie Wu
From: Shaojie Wu @ 2001-09-19 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
You mentioned you do use gdb to load and run a program in ram
that performs the flash programing. SInce I never used that
kind of program before, Could you provide me more detailed
information about that program? Where can I find it? and how to
use it?

Thanks, have a good night.

@ 2001-09-20  9:28     ` Matthew H. Gerlach
From: Matthew H. Gerlach @ 2001-09-20  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shaojie Wu, ecos-discuss

We wrote the program ourselves.

redboot/ecos does has of this functionality in some form.  You should look
at it.

Good Luck,
Matthew