* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-03  6:03 Nagendra EM
From: Nagendra EM @ 2001-07-03  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nagendra EM, Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Jonathan Larmour

OK, Thanks for the info.
I shall try this now...

Thanks and Regards,
- Nagendra.

--

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 06:59:54   Gary Thomas wrote:

>On 03-Jul-2001 Nagendra EM wrote:
>> Hi,
>> These are the steps that have followed.
>>
>> 1. Built redboot.bin using the configuration tool.
>> 2. Burnt the bootflash on SA1110 using the utility provided by the
>>    manufacturer.
>> 3. Built the example program "hello" found in the examples directory
>>    using arm-elf-gcc and followed the steps given in the "Getting
>>    started" manual for ARM. (i.e., setting the PKG_INSTALL_DIR and
>>    XCC).
>> 4. Started the ARM-GDB by invoking arm-elf-gdb.exe file.
>> Now, on the gdb prompt,
>> gdb) target remote COM2
>> Remote debugging using COM2
>> 0x0 in ?? ()
>>
>> (gdb) load hello.exe
>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^
>
>This tells me that you tried to build the 'hello' program for ROM mode.
>You need to have a startup type of RAM in order to load & run via GDB.
>
>The most likely reason for this would be that you tried to reuse a
>configuration which you used to build RedBoot to build the application.
>This is not correct.  You must have a new configuration (build directory,
>etc) for a new environment, namely RAM based applications.

* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-05 22:27 Nagendra EM
From: Nagendra EM @ 2001-07-05 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nagendra.em, Jaiprakash; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi JaiPrakash,
Nice to hear that our discussions helped somebody like you.
Actually my development tools are on Windows NT. I think you are working on UNIX/Linux looking at what you have written here.

Anyway, I will tell you what I have done,

1. Invoke arm-elf-gdb.exe (this is insight 5.0).
2. Open the console window.
3. (gdb) target remote COM2
4. (gdb) set remotebaud 38400 (this is the default in eCos config).
5. (gdb) load hello.exe
6. (gdb) continue.

hello.exe was built using the example programs provided with ecos
ecos/examples directory. There is a make file also, instructions are
provided there to change a few flags.

Hope this should be of some help for you.
Feel free to ask me if you have any other difficulties with which
I can help you.

regards,
- Nagendra.

--

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 20:27:03    Jaiprakash wrote:
>hello nagendra,
>      i am facing similar situations as you are doing and the discussions
>between you, Johnathan and the rest have helped me a bit.   in your most
>recent mail i learnt you are able to debug ur application with Insight.
>      i'm able to debug only through command line though. could you just let
>me know what steps you follow once you enter the GUI..
>    i follow the following steps at the command line
>1. arm-elf-gdb -nw myapp
>2. set remotebaud
>3. set endian
>4. tar rem /dev/ttyS0
>5.load
>6.disable   (to disable the breakpoint which the gdb sets by default)
>7.continue
>8.break cyg_user_start
>9. and the rest of the commands
>    but i'm not able to acheive this through Insight.  my platform is an
>ARM7 based board.
>thanks
>regards,
>jaiprakash

* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-04 23:30 Nagendra EM
From: Nagendra EM @ 2001-07-04 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nagendra.em, Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Jesper Skov, Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss

Hi,
I was able to run the hello world application on the Insight GDB itself. I think there was some problem with my board when I tried last night. Probably it was out of charge (it runs on a chargeble battery). I think I did not notice it when I was trying my
application, coz, today I just tried once and without any problem
it came up.

Thanks for all your support. I may need more help from you, I will
have to come back to you on that.

Thanks and Regards,
- Nagendra.

--

On Wed, 04 Jul 2001 18:22:36   Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>Nagendra EM wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jonathan, Jesper and Gary,
>>
>> Thanks for the help from you. I am really glad that I am able to get
>> this kind of support for a free OS. I shall try on what is suggested
>> by Gary.
>>
>> But, my version of GDB is gdb 5.0. Infact, I am using the Insight (version 5.0) but I am using the console window of Insight to run the programs. Should I change the version of GDB? Please suggest.
>
>No one else has reported a problem of this particular kind with 5.0 so it
>should be okay. You could try from the command line though just to be sure
>it isn't an insight problem (start gdb with -nw). If that works, try
>updating your insight to a current snapshot because it'll probably be fixed
>by now.
>
>Jifl
>--
>Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44 (1223) 271062
>Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous Huxley || Opinions==mine
>Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
>Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-04 10:22 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-04 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nagendra.em; +Cc: Jesper Skov, Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss

@ 2001-07-04 10:16 Nagendra EM
From: Nagendra EM @ 2001-07-04 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Skov, Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Gary Thomas, Nagendra EM, ecos-discuss

@ 2001-07-04  7:30     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-04  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Skov; +Cc: Gary Thomas, Nagendra EM, ecos-discuss

@ 2001-07-04  6:41   ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-07-04  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Nagendra EM, Jonathan Larmour, ecos-discuss

>  GNU gdb 4.18-ecos-99r1-991015
[snip]
>  (gdb) c
>  Continuing.
>  Hello, eCos world!

The age of GDB is a concern to me. Isn't this version of GDB
displaying raw ASCII output?  Nagendra is probably using a version of
GDB which would not do that.

Mind you, printf should probably layer on the HAL diag code, so it's
probably something else.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-04  5:32 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-07-04  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nagendra EM; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, ecos-discuss

Given that your system is not one of our standard platforms, it's difficult
to say exactly what's wrong now.  You do seem to be on the right track though.

Just to show you how it's done, I just ran this on the iPAQ (an SA1110 platform).
Here are exactly the steps I took:

  % mkdir -p /work/iPAQ/test
  % cd /work/iPAQ/test
  % ecosconfig new ipaq
  % ecosconfig tree
  % make
  % cp -a /work2/ecc/doc/examples .
  % cd examples
  % SRCS=hello.c DST=hello ./build_Makefile /work/iPAQ/test
  % make
  % arm-elf-gdb -nw hello
  GNU gdb 4.18-ecos-99r1-991015
  Type "show copying" to see the conditions.  This version of GDB is supported
  for customers of Cygnus Solutions.  Type "show warranty" for details.
  This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=arm-elf"...
  (gdb) arem
  0x500471c0 in ?? ()
  (gdb) lo
  Start address 0x20040 , load size 47940
  Transfer rate: 25568 bits/sec.
  (gdb) c
  Continuing.
  Hello, eCos world!

  idle_thread_main (data=21423050) at /work2/ecc/ecc/kernel/current/src/common/thread.cxx:1211
  1211        }
  Current language:  auto; currently c++
  (gdb) q
  The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y

* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-04  3:42 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-07-04  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nagendra.em; +Cc: Jesper Skov, Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss, Jonathan Larmour

Nagendra> Hi, Thanks again, but with one more problem now.

OK, this probably means that the problem is that our example hello
world program doesn't produce an output - older versions of GDB would
show raw output, but never versions do not. We should update the
example code.

Nagendra> Now it is able to run the program, after that it does not
Nagendra> come out. May be I should post this on the GDB site, but if
Nagendra> you know and can suggest something, it will be great.

Set a breakpoint at cyg_test_exit, or press ctrl-c. There is no "out"
in eCos - it's an embedded OS.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-04  3:39 Nagendra EM
From: Nagendra EM @ 2001-07-04  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nagendra.em, Jesper Skov; +Cc: Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss, Jonathan Larmour

Hi,
Thanks again, but with one more problem now. Now it is able to run the program, after that it does not come out. May be I should post this on the GDB site, but if you know and can suggest something, it will be great.

The output is here...
(gdb) target remote COM2
Remote debugging using COM2
0x5000bd64 in ?? ()

(gdb) set remotebaud 38400
(gdb) load bsearch.exe
Start address 0x20040 , load size 28496
Transfer rate: 28496 bits/sec, 299 bytes/write.

(gdb) continue
Continuing.
INFO:<Starting tests from testcase //J/REDHAT~1/ecos/packages/language/c/libc/stdlib/current/tests/bsearch.c for C library bsearch() function>
PASS:<bsearch() something in the middle>
PASS:<bsearch() something else in the middle>
PASS:<bsearch() first element>
PASS:<bsearch() last element>
PASS:<bsearch() duplicate element>
PASS:<bsearch() nonexistent element>
EXIT:<Finished tests from testcase //J/REDHAT~1/ecos/packages/language/c/libc/stdlib/current/tests/bsearch.c for C library bsearch() function>
Thanks and Regards,
- Nagendra.

--

On 04 Jul 2001 10:44:58 +020   Jesper Skov wrote:

>Nagendra> Hi, I was trying the configuration which you suggested. It
>Nagendra> loads the exe file, but same problem again...it stops after
>Nagendra> printing continue and never comes out of it.
>
>[snip]
>Nagendra> please suggest...
>
>Try building and running one of the eCos tests instead of the hello.c
>example.
>
>Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-04  1:46 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-07-04  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nagendra.em; +Cc: Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss, Jonathan Larmour

@ 2001-07-03 10:31 Nagendra EM
From: Nagendra EM @ 2001-07-03 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nagendra EM, Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Jonathan Larmour

@ 2001-07-03  6:01 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-07-03  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nagendra EM; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Jonathan Larmour

On 03-Jul-2001 Nagendra EM wrote:
> Hi,
> These are the steps that have followed.
>
> 1. Built redboot.bin using the configuration tool.
> 2. Burnt the bootflash on SA1110 using the utility provided by the
>    manufacturer.
> 3. Built the example program "hello" found in the examples directory
>    using arm-elf-gcc and followed the steps given in the "Getting
>    started" manual for ARM. (i.e., setting the PKG_INSTALL_DIR and
>    XCC).
> 4. Started the ARM-GDB by invoking arm-elf-gdb.exe file.
> Now, on the gdb prompt,
> gdb) target remote COM2
> Remote debugging using COM2
> 0x0 in ?? ()
>
> (gdb) load hello.exe
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^

@ 2001-07-03  5:49 Nagendra EM
From: Nagendra EM @ 2001-07-03  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nagendra EM, Gary Thomas; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, ecos-discuss

Hi,
These are the steps that have followed.

1. Built redboot.bin using the configuration tool.
2. Burnt the bootflash on SA1110 using the utility provided by the
   manufacturer.
3. Built the example program "hello" found in the examples directory
   using arm-elf-gcc and followed the steps given in the "Getting
   started" manual for ARM. (i.e., setting the PKG_INSTALL_DIR and
   XCC).
4. Started the ARM-GDB by invoking arm-elf-gdb.exe file.
Now, on the gdb prompt,
gdb) target remote COM2
Remote debugging using COM2
0x0 in ?? ()

(gdb) load hello.exe

It remains like this for a long time (more than 2 mins)
after that, it shows

Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Ignoring packet error, continuing...

then, after sometime (almost after 2mins), the LCD display of my board comes up, I can't see anything on the display though.

Can you please suggest/comment...

waiting for your reply...
regards,
- Nagendra.

--

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 06:15:15   Gary Thomas wrote:

>On 03-Jul-2001 Nagendra EM wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Thanks for the info. I have run the make file in the examples directory, after changing the
>> PKG_INSTALL_DIR and XCC as given in the manual. It has created an exe file also, but when I try
>> to load it, it loads, but stops after displaying the load. After that the gdb prompt does not
>> appear at all. Any comments? Any suggestions?
>
>This doesn't tell us much more than "it didn't work".
>
>Please send details like you did below - output from the GDB session, etc.
>Then maybe we can help.
>

>> waiting for your reply...
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> - Nagendra.
>>

>> --

>>>             ^^^^^^^
>>>
>>>You should be loading 'hello' (or 'hello.exe' on Windows).  You can't
>>>run an object file, only one which has been fully linked with the
>>>eCos kernel.

>>>These sizes and addresses tell it all - this is not a program which
>>>is ready to run (incomplete).

>> Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account at
>> http://www.eudoramail.com

* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-03  5:15 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-07-03  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nagendra EM; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, ecos-discuss

On 03-Jul-2001 Nagendra EM wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the info. I have run the make file in the examples directory, after changing the
> PKG_INSTALL_DIR and XCC as given in the manual. It has created an exe file also, but when I try
> to load it, it loads, but stops after displaying the load. After that the gdb prompt does not
> appear at all. Any comments? Any suggestions?

This doesn't tell us much more than "it didn't work".

Please send details like you did below - output from the GDB session, etc.
Then maybe we can help.

> waiting for your reply...
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> - Nagendra.
>

> --
>
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 05:59:45   Gary Thomas wrote:
>>
>>On 03-Jul-2001 Nagendra EM wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I was trying to run one of the sample program on my SA1110 target,
>>> after refering to the "Getting started" manual.
>>>
>>> Now,
>>> I invoke my insight-gdb by running arm-gdb. Then open up a console window (since the insight
>>> gui
>>> window gave some problem connecting). Now, I type target remote COM2, I am able to connect. I
>>> am
>>> able to load the program also. But when I say continue, it just stays there for a long time
>>> without any output. Where should I look for the output? Am I doing anything wrong?
>>>
>>> please suggest.
>>>
>>> The GDB console details pasted here...FYR
>>> (gdb) target remote COM2
>>> Remote debugging using COM2
>>> 0x500074c8 in ?? ()
>>>
>>> (gdb) load hello.o
>>             ^^^^^^^
>>
>>You should be loading 'hello' (or 'hello.exe' on Windows).  You can't
>>run an object file, only one which has been fully linked with the
>>eCos kernel.

>>> Start address 0x0 , load size 60
>>
>>These sizes and addresses tell it all - this is not a program which
>>is ready to run (incomplete).
>>
>>> Transfer rate: 480 bits in <1 sec, 30 bytes/write.
>>>
>>> (gdb) continue
>>> Continuing.
>>

> Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account at
> http://www.eudoramail.com

* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-03  5:09 Nagendra EM
From: Nagendra EM @ 2001-07-03  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nagendra EM, Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Jonathan Larmour

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I have run the make file in the examples directory, after changing the PKG_INSTALL_DIR and XCC as given in the manual. It has created an exe file also, but when I try to load it, it loads, but stops after displaying the load. After that the gdb prompt does not appear at all. Any comments? Any suggestions?

waiting for your reply...

Thanks and Regards,
- Nagendra.

--

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 05:59:45   Gary Thomas wrote:

>On 03-Jul-2001 Nagendra EM wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I was trying to run one of the sample program on my SA1110 target,
>> after refering to the "Getting started" manual.
>>
>> Now,
>> I invoke my insight-gdb by running arm-gdb. Then open up a console window (since the insight gui
>> window gave some problem connecting). Now, I type target remote COM2, I am able to connect. I am
>> able to load the program also. But when I say continue, it just stays there for a long time
>> without any output. Where should I look for the output? Am I doing anything wrong?
>>
>> please suggest.
>>
>> The GDB console details pasted here...FYR
>> (gdb) target remote COM2
>> Remote debugging using COM2
>> 0x500074c8 in ?? ()
>>
>> (gdb) load hello.o
>             ^^^^^^^
>
>You should be loading 'hello' (or 'hello.exe' on Windows).  You can't
>run an object file, only one which has been fully linked with the
>eCos kernel.

>> Start address 0x0 , load size 60
>
>These sizes and addresses tell it all - this is not a program which
>is ready to run (incomplete).
>
>> Transfer rate: 480 bits in <1 sec, 30 bytes/write.
>>
>> (gdb) continue
>> Continuing.

* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-03  4:59 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-07-03  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nagendra EM; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Jonathan Larmour

On 03-Jul-2001 Nagendra EM wrote:
> Hi,
> I was trying to run one of the sample program on my SA1110 target,
> after refering to the "Getting started" manual.
>
> Now,
> I invoke my insight-gdb by running arm-gdb. Then open up a console window (since the insight gui
> window gave some problem connecting). Now, I type target remote COM2, I am able to connect. I am
> able to load the program also. But when I say continue, it just stays there for a long time
> without any output. Where should I look for the output? Am I doing anything wrong?
>
> please suggest.
>
> The GDB console details pasted here...FYR
> (gdb) target remote COM2
> Remote debugging using COM2
> 0x500074c8 in ?? ()
>
> (gdb) load hello.o
             ^^^^^^^

You should be loading 'hello' (or 'hello.exe' on Windows).  You can't
run an object file, only one which has been fully linked with the
eCos kernel.

> Start address 0x0 , load size 60

These sizes and addresses tell it all - this is not a program which
is ready to run (incomplete).

> Transfer rate: 480 bits in <1 sec, 30 bytes/write.
>
> (gdb) continue
> Continuing.

* Re: [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-03  0:12 Nagendra EM
From: Nagendra EM @ 2001-07-03  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2001-07-02 22:00 Nagendra EM
From: Nagendra EM @ 2001-07-02 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I was trying to do this, but was facing some problems connecting to target, but did not really know that this was the route to be taken. Now that I know it from you, and have downloaded the manual, I shall try on this.

Thanks for the continuous help and support,
regards,
- Nagendra.

--

@ 2001-07-02 14:27 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-02 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nagendra.em; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Nagendra EM wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have build redboot for SA1110 eval board and with that I am able to boot my target. Now, I need to download the eCos image onto it and try running one of the example programs. Has anyone done this before? What are the steps to be followed?
>
> I am using cygwin tools, the latest repository of eCos from the CVS and the config tool version 2.0.2.

In the first instance I would suggest trying to load and run the eCos tests
from GDB. To do this, create a new eCos configuration, build the eCos
library and tests for the default configuration by choosing Build->Tests.
This should create test executables in the test subdirectory of your chosen
install tree stored with your configuration. Go to a cygwin prompt and
start running GDB.

You should also read the Getting Started manual from
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/

Jifl
Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* [ECOS] How to RUN a program?
@ 2001-07-01 23:00 Nagendra EM
From: Nagendra EM @ 2001-07-01 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi All,
I have build redboot for SA1110 eval board and with that I am able to boot my target. Now, I need to download the eCos image onto it and try running one of the example programs. Has anyone done this before? What are the steps to be followed?

I am using cygwin tools, the latest repository of eCos from the CVS and the config tool version 2.0.2.

Please suggest.

waiting for a reply...

Thanks in Advance...
regards,