* RE: [ECOS] EB40A: Running one Function from RAM,rest in FLASH
@ 2003-12-10 16:24 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-12-10 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vinay, ecos-discuss

Hi Vinay,

You have two options here.

1. You build & link the RAM resident code for the RAM address space & locate
it in Flash (can be done using the linker script). And at run time you
should move this code from Flash to RAM. ItÂ’s very simple in GCC & the same
is possible under ADS/SDT tool-chains too, using the scatter map (which is a
linker script).

2. Build the RAM resident modules as position independent code (PIC) –
possible with GCC & ADS/SDT tool-chains. Malloc space in RAM region & copy
the code from flash to RAM & use function pointers to access these function.

Email me if you need more clarity on this.

Cheers,
-Mike.

       [not found] <ECEHLOMBEGLLKDFCDAGAEECMCAAA.vinay@hunolabs.com>
@ 2003-12-10 20:38 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-12-10 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vinay; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Please copy the mailing list to your replies - that way everyone
benefits :-)

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 13:33, Vinay.S wrote:
> hi gary,
> Thanks man.
> 	Actually just using the following
> __attribute__(SECTION("2ram.dummy")) worked for me.
> 	Can u please tell me what the above statement does? or atleast direct me to
> proper resources regarding the same.

Look at the linker file .../hal/arm/arch/current/src/arm.ld
The attribute tells the linker that the code for this particular
function goes in the "2ram.dummy" section, rather than .text.XXX
In turn, the linker will arrange that this code is then placed in
initialized data (RAM) at runtime.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* [ECOS] EB40A: Running one Function from RAM,rest in FLASH
@ 2003-12-10  3:09 Vinay.S
From: Vinay.S @ 2003-12-10  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ecos-Discuss

@ 2003-12-09 20:06 ` Gary Thomas