* [ECOS] insight/gdb/linux
@ 2000-06-19 13:06 Paul Kinzelman
From: Paul Kinzelman @ 2000-06-19 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

I am interested in trying to hook up the insight tcl/tk gui to
gdb running as a user process on linux (on an arm processor).
I've got it so that insight actually connects over the
serial port (at least that's what it says :-) and I get
reasonable-looking things for registers and stuff.

But I can't seem to run anything. insight, for one
thing, wants to download the binary, but the
gdbserver on the other end doesn't know what
to do with it. Besides, the binary is already there - it
gets started when the gdbserver is started.

Is there some way to get insight to just start/continue
what's already down there?

TIA!
-Paul Kinzelman

* RE: [ECOS] insight/gdb/linux
@ 2000-06-20  1:00 ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2000-06-20  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Kinzelman; +Cc: ecos-discuss

[deleted]
> Is there some way to get insight to just start/continue
> what's already down there?

Once you have loaded the code on the target, use the gdb console command
"cont".  The problem w/ insight is that it uses "run" which is incompatible
with the way eCos stubs works.

-- Alex

> TIA!
> -Paul Kinzelman

* Re: [ECOS] insight/gdb/linux
@ 2000-06-20  6:40   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-06-20  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexs; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> [deleted]
> > Is there some way to get insight to just start/continue
> > what's already down there?
>
> Once you have loaded the code on the target, use the gdb console command
> "cont".  The problem w/ insight is that it uses "run" which is incompatible
> with the way eCos stubs works.

Why do you think this is the case? For a remote target, insight uses
continue, as you would expect.

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] insight/gdb/linux
@ 2000-06-20  7:14     ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2000-06-20  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > [deleted]
> > > Is there some way to get insight to just start/continue
> > > what's already down there?
> >
> > Once you have loaded the code on the target, use the gdb console command
> > "cont".  The problem w/ insight is that it uses "run" which is
> incompatible
> > with the way eCos stubs works.
>
> Why do you think this is the case? For a remote target, insight uses
> continue, as you would expect.

Not the last time I tried.  Hitting the run button just issued "run", even
for remote targets.  I always had to get up a console to kick start the
session.  After that everything was OK.

-- Alex

* Re: [ECOS] insight/gdb/linux
@ 2000-06-20  7:28       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-06-20  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexs; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> > > [deleted]
> > >
> > > Once you have loaded the code on the target, use the gdb console command
> > > "cont".  The problem w/ insight is that it uses "run" which is
> > incompatible
> > > with the way eCos stubs works.
> >
> > Why do you think this is the case? For a remote target, insight uses
> > continue, as you would expect.
>
> Not the last time I tried.  Hitting the run button just issued "run", even
> for remote targets.  I always had to get up a console to kick start the
> session.  After that everything was OK.

With Insight 5.0?

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] insight/gdb/linux
@ 2000-06-20  7:42         ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2000-06-20  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > Not the last time I tried.  Hitting the run button just issued
> > "run", even for remote targets.  I always had to get up a
> > console to kick start the session.  After that everything was OK.
>
> With Insight 5.0?

Dunno which version.  Been a long time since I used Insight (> 1 year), and
that mostly was from the 98r1 GnuPro release.  And I don't feel like digging
it out either - feel free to :-) - but that may answer your question
anyway...

-- Alex

* Re: [ECOS] insight/gdb/linux
@ 2000-06-20  7:50           ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-06-20  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexs; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:

> > > Not the last time I tried.  Hitting the run button just issued
> > > "run", even for remote targets.  I always had to get up a
> > > console to kick start the session.  After that everything was OK.
> >
> > With Insight 5.0?
>
> Dunno which version.  Been a long time since I used Insight (> 1 year), and
> that mostly was from the 98r1 GnuPro release.  And I don't feel like digging
> it out either - feel free to :-) - but that may answer your question
> anyway...

In that case I don't need to :-). It's evidently been fixed since then - at
least it worked recently.

Jifl

* [ECOS] insight/gdb/linux
@ 2000-06-21  2:44       ` Satish Babu M.V
From: Satish Babu M.V @ 2000-06-21  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I have downloaded insight-5.0.tar and gdb-5.0.tar. Can someone tell where
i can fine the steps to install this on the Windows Nt host.

ThankX
Satish

* Re: [ECOS] insight/gdb/linux
@ 2000-06-21  5:43         ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2000-06-21  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sats; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Satish> I have downloaded insight-5.0.tar and gdb-5.0.tar. Can
    Satish> someone tell where i can fine the steps to install this on
    Satish> the Windows Nt host.

Try any of the following:

1) unpack the tarballs and look at the README file. You can probably
   also read the current version of this file online via the cvsweb
   interface.

2) read the gdb user manual,
   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb_toc.html
   which is referenced from the main gdb page. Appendix B contains
   installation instructions.

3) read the eCos installation instructions, specifically the
   development tools section at the bottom of
   http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/install-windows.html
   These instructions will even tell you how to unpack the tarballs
   and what arguments should be passed to configure.

Also, please note the existence of gdb mailing lists for questions
specifically related to gdb. For more details see
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer

* Re: [ECOS] insight/gdb/linux
@ 2000-06-20  8:21 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-06-20  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Kinzelman; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Paul Kinzelman wrote:

> Thanks!
> --version says 20000314.
> When I connect to target, the source file displayed
> in the source window vanishes, and I get a 'connected OK'
> message. Shouldn't the source stay on the screen?
>
> I tried the 'cont', but I get an illegal instruction.
> I have a feeling that it's because the DECR_PC_AFTER_BREAK
> is 0 and should be 4 for arm. I changed it in:
>         insight-20000314/gdb/config/arm/tm-arm.h
> But when I try to build:
>         ./configure --host=i386 --target arm-linux-elf
>
> I get:
>    "Could not find a term library"
> It's checking for 'tgetent' in a bunch of places and not
> finding it, but I can't figure out what's missing.

Since you're rebuilding anyway, perhaps it would be better to try the
officially released Insight 5.0. It will have been tested more than any
snapshot.

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] insight/gdb/linux
@ 2000-06-20  8:18 Paul Kinzelman